Just got microscope and something is killing fish

Dimorb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should consider sending a water sample to AquaBiomics for DNA analysis.

They can identify a number of known fish and/or coral pathogens based on the DNA of bacteria in the water. Here’s a report from my tank that was identified with a pathogen that kills chromis:

How do you know it kills chromis? Do they inform you about every pathogen?

DiefsReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

They can identify a number of known fish and/or coral pathogens based on the DNA of bacteria in the water. Here’s a report from my tank that was identified with a pathogen that kills chromis:
Thank you for sharing that report. Kinda scary when you read up about " Photobacterium damselae"
Did you address that issue in your tank and if so what was the solution?

Dimorb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any other suggestions to this problem?

More tangs have been sick in my aquarium :(

Dimorb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I tried to reach out but no answer yet. Do you know this company or the person(s) behind it?

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried to reach out but no answer yet. Do you know this company or the person(s) behind it?

Yes, Eli is in my local aquarium club. He’s also here on Reef2Reef as @AquaBiomics. I’ll shoot him a PM pointing to this thread.

AquaBiomics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@AquaBiomics would your service be possible when Im located in norway?
Hi Dimorb,

Sorry for the delay getting back to you, things have been busy lately. Until very recently the answer would have been no, because of challenges with exporting our sampling kits. But we have recently set up a partnership with a European company who will be distributing our sampling kits for clients in Europe, in addition to their own customized water chemistry service. So we'll be able to offer the service officially soon..

maybe we can arrange something sooner unofficially and consider it part of testing the logistics of international service. This sounds like an interesting test case. I'll email with more thoughts, after I catch up on the thread.

We've generally found few bacterial fish pathogens in aquarium water samples... P. damselae shows up in a minority of tanks, some of which report fish deaths and some report no problems. Vibrio fortis shows up here in an even smaller fraction of tanks, but I've only seen this described as a pathogen for restricted cases (seahorses).

More recently we've expanded to testing the eDNA (environmental DNA) for eukaryotic targets too, in an effort to catch the eukryotic parasites responsible for the most widely discussed fish diseases. No problem detecting or identifying these known parasites, the remaining questions are about sensitivity and the interpretation of negative results. So its very useful to test samples from fish that are known to be sick.

-Eli

Dimorb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Dimorb,

Sorry for the delay getting back to you, things have been busy lately. Until very recently the answer would have been no, because of challenges with exporting our sampling kits. But we have recently set up a partnership with a European company who will be distributing our sampling kits for clients in Europe, in addition to their own customized water chemistry service. So we'll be able to offer the service officially soon..

maybe we can arrange something sooner unofficially and consider it part of testing the logistics of international service. This sounds like an interesting test case. I'll email with more thoughts, after I catch up on the thread.

We've generally found few bacterial fish pathogens in aquarium water samples... P. damselae shows up in a minority of tanks, some of which report fish deaths and some report no problems. Vibrio fortis shows up here in an even smaller fraction of tanks, but I've only seen this described as a pathogen for restricted cases (seahorses).

More recently we've expanded to testing the eDNA (environmental DNA) for eukaryotic targets too, in an effort to catch the eukryotic parasites responsible for the most widely discussed fish diseases. No problem detecting or identifying these known parasites, the remaining questions are about sensitivity and the interpretation of negative results. So its very useful to test samples from fish that are known to be sick.

-Eli

This sounds really promising. :)

The thread isnt mine but I could explain my problem in detail when you make contact by mail.

Looking forward to be hearing from you.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 75 51.7%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 74 51.0%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 37 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 32 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.2%

Back