Just got this little guy (clownfish)

Gaspipe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Went to the LFS on Sunday and grabbed this cute little DaVinci clownfish. He was swimming around no issues at the store. His rear fin did have the slightest bites but I wasn't too concerned as it was clean with no real issues. Thinking he won't be picked on once removed.

I have a much larger clown and wanted there to be a big difference in size hopeful they will mate. Well when I add the lil guy the larger clown went right for him and protected him. They stayed together all the time and even slept in the corner floor together.

Today the lil guy is not swimming around and the larger has sort of left him. She's swimming around the tank and only comes visits him on occasion.

There has been no real aggression from the other fish. And the lil guy didn't eat on the last feeding. Going to feed now, hopefully he eats something as he was going after food before.

I also turned the wave pump all the way down since introduction as I wanted to reduce stress for a few days. I'm a little nervous. Also the lil guy has a string of poop that hasn't dropped for 2 hours or so now.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Went to the LFS on Sunday and grabbed this cute little DaVinci clownfish. He was swimming around no issues at the store. His rear fin did have the slightest bites but I wasn't too concerned as it was clean with no real issues. Thinking he won't be picked on once removed.

I have a much larger clown and wanted there to be a big difference in size hopeful they will mate. Well when I add the lil guy the larger clown went right for him and protected him. They stayed together all the time and even slept in the corner floor together.

Today the lil guy is not swimming around and the larger has sort of left him. She's swimming around the tank and only comes visits him on occasion.

There has been no real aggression from the other fish. And the lil guy didn't eat on the last feeding. Going to feed now, hopefully he eats something as he was going after food before.

I also turned the wave pump all the way down since introduction as I wanted to reduce stress for a few days. I'm a little nervous. Also the lil guy has a string of poop that hasn't dropped for 2 hours or so now.

Once in a while - you get lucky and it sounds like it will work out.
Hoping for the best !!! A couple of months ago from a buyout, I added two adult perculas to 4 existing breeding pairs and to my surprise they all hang out

OP
OP
Gaspipe

Gaspipe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well this doesn't look promising. I turned off all flow and fed mysis shrimp.
Don't think he ate a single one. He has moved from that spot (which seems to attract a lot of detritus, so I assume that is why it landed there) but the flow is still off.

Will give it 10 min and see from what happens.

OP
OP
Gaspipe

Gaspipe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once in a while - you get lucky and it sounds like it will work out.
Hoping for the best !!! A couple of months ago from a buyout, I added two adult perculas to 4 existing breeding pairs and to my surprise they all hang out
My concern is he's sick. And she left him knowing something is up.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Well this doesn't look promising. I turned off all flow and fed mysis shrimp.
Don't think he ate a single one. He has moved from that spot (which seems to attract a lot of detritus, so I assume that is why it landed there) but the flow is still off.

Will give it 10 min and see from what happens.

Clown is nibbling at passing particles and may be intimidated by existing clown which should subside.
is he breathing normal or labored?

Andreas' Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I think the stress of being added is getting to him. he'll bounce back. My clowns both ate hours after being added. But every fish takes acclimation very differently

OP
OP
Gaspipe

Gaspipe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I think the stress of being added is getting to him. he'll bounce back. My clowns both ate hours after being added. But every fish takes acclimation very differently
I hope you are right. He was swimming and eating Sunday (add day) and Monday.

Today he was acting strange. I'm hopeful, which is never a good strategy.

Andreas' Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope you are right. He was swimming and eating Sunday (add day) and Monday.

Today he was acting strange. I'm hopeful, which is never a good strategy.
1. Can you take a picture under white lights?

2. What colour was the string of poop?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Of course. Mind you all flow is off again.

The poop is white.

I assume you are feeding mysis shrimp? His feces has a little mucus in it but no alarm, however the issue may be as suspected - Intimidation. Its tail is bitten suggesting there was up front aggression which may have subsided hence the clown sticking to the bottom to keep its distance

Andreas' Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of course.

The poop is white.

The white string of poop is a sign of an internal parasite. such as a flaggelate or worm. I'm not sure since in most cases, the fish would still be eating but losing wieght and having faded colours. =

Chortanator

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recommend feeding spirulina brine or mysis to help with constipation. Many people say white poop is a sign of worms/parasites but that's rarely the case - if you feed only mysis, they will have white poop

OP
OP
Gaspipe

Gaspipe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I assume you are feeding mysis shrimp? His feces has a little mucus in it but no alarm, however the issue may be as suspected - Intimidation. Its tail is bitten suggesting there was up front aggression which may have subsided hence the clown sticking to the bottom to keep its distance
I feed twice a day (3 x today due to issue)
LRS Reef Frenzy (day)
Hikari Frozen Mysis (eves)

I dropped some SA Dry Hatchery Diet 1.2mm in the middle as well.

The tail did have a bite from LFS. And it was swimming strong there and when I introduced him home. Now perhaps there is more happening, I can't say for sure. I don't see anyone bothering him to be honest.

Day 1 Cheeto wouldn't let anyone come near him.

OP
OP
Gaspipe

Gaspipe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing I did notice today:

During lunch I was admiring the tank, the GHA is all gone.

The tailspot blenny I added at same time as the lil guy is actually coming out of his shell and eating and swimming a little.

I come back from lunch and the royal gramma has a chunk of his tail missing. Perhaps the RG was picking on the lil guy and the larger clown went at him?

Reefing lets you admire the beauty for a split second. Then it's time to get the mob as there is a mess to clean/fix.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
One thing I did notice today:

During lunch I was admiring the tank, the GHA is all gone.

The tailspot blenny I added at same time as the lil guy is actually coming out of his shell and eating and swimming a little.

I come back from lunch and the royal gramma has a chunk of his tail missing. Perhaps the RG was picking on the lil guy and the larger clown went at him?

Reefing lets you admire the beauty for a split second. Then it's time to get the mob as there is a mess to clean/fix.
Tailspot is an excellent algae eater and rarely stays still

OP
OP
Gaspipe

Gaspipe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Little guy is still up.

He's in a new spot, still low. I just fed and I did not see him ACTIVELY feeding but if he grabbing some I'm not 100% sure.

Cheeto (large clown) seems to come back to him at night so her interest may have picked up.

Thanos (the RG) actually did something strange and chased the shrimp away from the lil guy when got too close.

I do not see any aggressiveness to the lil guy from any of the other fish.

Hopefully he will start to eat and swim around again. Flow is still set to level 1

OP
OP
Gaspipe

Gaspipe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the lil guy still isn't "actively" eating. Staying low to the bottom and not swimming much. I don't think he will make it.

To add insult to injury the f'n TSB died. I don't get it. He was perched on the rock, would come up pick at the wall, the PH, etc.

Below is me venting, no need to read below...

Hate to say this, b/c I do feel bad for local shop owners, but I am done shopping with local retail. It's a shame but every time I buy something from a Mom & Pop shop and there is an issue, I have to eat it.

We bought my daughter's sweet 16 dress at a local shop. Covid hit and there were no returns even though there were no alterations. They told us they had to order it for us (which they did) and it would then sit on their shelf. I was thinking if this was a large dept. store there would be no questions.

Now my LFS told me all sales final on live stock. Which I understand, difficult to make a living if idiots are buying fish with crappy conditions and then you need to refund them their money. The fish was purchased on Sunday, on Tues. I noticed issues with the clown, on Thur eve/Friday morning the TSB dies. If this was @LiveAquaria there would be no issues. It's within the 7 day window.

The 2nd to last R2R sale @WWC had, I bought a LA Laker from them. It wasn't glowing under lights, I told them. Thier support emailed me back right away. They asked a few Qs, pics. They said no problem you want the money back or next time you order from us we can send you one. I said let's wait. The last flash sale I ordered some, emailed them to add an LA Laker. They replied back no problem.

So why am I going to shop local if the risk is on me. The answer is, I'm not.

jtf74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I introduced my large female maroon I had for 5 years to my new little male she stopped eating for 12 days. Then all of a sudden she was back eating normally. Keep trying.

OP
OP
Gaspipe

Gaspipe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I introduced my large female maroon I had for 5 years to my new little male she stopped eating for 12 days. Then all of a sudden she was back eating normally. Keep trying.
The large 2-year clown is fine. It's this lil baby who stopped eating. I'm feeding it the same food the LFS uses as I bought that there.

I'm so ticked at the TSB. Not a colorful guy but it was great watching him graze. The larger clown and my RG would race over there seeing him eat thinking there was food. They would soon realize there wasn't and swim away lol

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 7 11.9%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 25 42.4%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 24 40.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.4%
Back