Just retired. New reefer.

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!

You have come to the right place to get started. Spend sometime on R2R reading about the different setup options. Knowledge is power.

C760645E-CE2B-4FCA-A018-AB5CC934BFA2.gif

mynd

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know the interesting thing about this hobby especially for those of us that have been doing for a long time is that we probably all started off back in 90's some even further.. We probably all had a goldfish bowl, and then wanted something larger so we got a small 20 long with an undergravel filter which was a nightmare. Then we maybe tried some other types of filtration and broken heaters that just cracked and as we killed most everything we purchased the idea of having something more like sting rays or voltan lionfish was on the todo list. So we took our fresh water knowledge and decided to go salt. We had the tank and then needed filtration and we looked to many ways of doing that including a side hanging overflow that unfortunately lost siphon when the power went out over flowed the tank, then to the canister and so on..

The bottom line is that we learned through much money and countless failures. After about maybe 3 to 5 years you start to learn and become more patient. Personally I don't add anything to my tank until my baked rock is covered in coralline algae and a dark purple.

Thing is I have the patience and this is a hobby not a race. Everyone wants to fill their tank with things they have no knowledge about. I can't even begin to tell you the books I have read and still own regarding everything saltwater and tank and inhabitants related.

That looks like a great tank. With the knowledge I have I would never buy it. I'm sorry AIO tanks are decent but the truth is you can do it for a lot less with experience. Spending 1000's of dollars does not mean you have a better chance of success. It just means you have an expensive tank of water. Your tanks success is going to happen by being patient and learning along the way.

Personally.. I suggest you get a fishbowl. Learn to walk first.

But! since I know most people won't do that and basically just toss money at the problem and rush to fill the empty tank, well, go for it.. you're retired. It's just money :)

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the welcome party!!

It seems like I will need to acquire knowledge in quite a few areas, so I'm looking at a few books on Amazon, or am I heading in the wrong direction?
Welcome. Check out Bulk Reef Supply videos on YouTube on just about all things reefing. They are a premier supplier. Also read Ron Reefman's articles here.

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to reef2reef!!!!! And welcome to both grandparenting and retirement. I’m blessed to be in both of those places. So here’s a little bit of direction.
Purchase a manageable sized tank for your budget and where you’d like to put it. Do fish only for the first 3 to 6 months. Between grandkids and some research decide on a reasonable number of fish. During that time build your aquascape. Some live rock if possible. Then after 3-6 months start to add crabs, snails and a few what they call “beginner corals” they only call them that because they’re cheaper and hardier. But yes take your time and enjoy the journey. Along the way check in with reef2reef to fine tune the process. Good luck.

REEFER-RICK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome best thing is to go and do some home work on the hobby tons of information on the web depending what you what to have all in one tanks are the best to go for a first timer compacked and always go slow very slow no rush no fuss .There are many experts on this site that can help you they have helped me well so far

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to your new home for saltwater reef aquarium resources and fun! Welcome to the family! :D
welcome-home-logo-greeting-png.1484246

OP
OP
O

On1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think that I have met a nicer group of people in all my years online.
Or are you trying to sucker me into a big black hole??

Thanks for the tips of the Bulk Reef videos

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 106 43.1%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 117 47.6%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 10 4.1%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 8 3.3%
Back