Juvenile imperator picking on a rock flower anemone

Mperry622

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've had The Rock flower anemone for several months and it totally looks healthy and opens all the time. I always seen it sucked back up and was curious why so I put a camera on it and I noticed the pattern. At least once a day only during the day my juvenile imperator comes over and picks at it. Not sure if it's looking for food or if he's actually hurting him trying to eat him.. should I move it to another tank or area or just leave it alone. I posted like 3 days worth of small snippets of what he's doing to him

Attachments

• Clip (October 4 2022 at 655 AM).mp4
    2.3 MB
  • Clip (October 3 2022 at 1057 AM).mp4
    3 MB
  • Clip (September 29 2022 at 302 PM).mp4
    2.2 MB

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had The Rock flowering enemy for several months and it totally looks healthy and opens all the time. I always seen it sucked back up and was curious why so I put a camera on it and I noticed the pattern. At least once a day only during the day my juvenile imperator comes over and picks at it. Not sure if it's looking for food or if he's actually hurting him trying to eat him.. should I move it to another tank or area or just leave it alone. I posted like 3 days worth of small snippets of what he's doing to him
So angels are not natural predators of anemones and this one isnt either. But what it is, is smart. I knows the nem catches food and it gets stuck there. If you watch in the second video you see the piece of sand or white debri on the nem, thats what the angel is pecking at. This isnt specifically harming the nem, as they get pecked in the wild all the time. It does look like that little angel is just doing angel things and is grazing around looking for tasty morsels.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 134 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back