Juvenile mocha clownfish

Miemaes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I’ve bought a juvenile mocha clownfish yesterday and noticed he has a long transparent stringy poop this morning. He is not interested in any of the foods that I try to feed him either. The aquarium isn’t fully cycled yet (under a week). But I’m keeping track on all my levels daily and have prime at hand incase there are spikes. It has live rock and nitrifying bacteria in the tank. Salinity is in check, PH 8-8.2, and temp at 78. He also tends to sit in one corner of the aquarium. I turned off my wave maker as there is some surface agitation from my filter. I’m not sure if the flow of the wave maker is too strong for him or not?! How long can this little fella go without food? I tried feeding with dropper and just sprinkling on the surface… I honestly don’t know what else to do.
image.jpg

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
White/transparent foods can have many causes. Sometimes it indicates a parasitic infection but can also be due to diet (or a lack of food).
What have you tried feeding?

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If he has only been in your tank a day he may still be acclimating to the tank and just not ready to eat.

You say not cylced, but you have live rock? what are your parameters? Specifically do you have ammonia in the tank?

OP
OP
Miemaes

Miemaes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
White/transparent foods can have many causes. Sometimes it indicates a parasitic infection but can also be due to diet (or a lack of food).
I’ve tried these three (dry) and frozen mysis. Yesterday he tried to eat a pellet but spat it back out. I assumed it was too large so bought the smaller variety. I don’t know it he’s a picky eater or not feeling well. Do you normally just sprinkle food on the top of the surface and your fish come get it? Or do you need to target feed?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    218.7 KB · Views: 45
OP
OP
Miemaes

Miemaes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You say levels are good, what are you using to test them and what exactly are your ammonia and nitrite levels?
I had a nitrite spike this morning (did another water test after posting this). Yesterday all looked good (see pic) and this morning my nitrites were high (1ppm). I immediately did a 30% water change. Now it has returned to the parameters from yesterday. I also added extra nitrifying bacteria because of the water change. The 2nd pic shows my current test. The nitrates look slightly darker then yesterday but still below 5.0ppm (more yellow). I’m using the API test kit.

Attachments

• 4C888E11-4398-42D4-A711-D4B972C64F2C.jpeg
    4C888E11-4398-42D4-A711-D4B972C64F2C.jpeg
    126.3 KB · Views: 52
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    165.3 KB · Views: 49

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Api is notoriously inaccurate - I would look into a better test kit (Salifert, hanna, etc.).

Clowns (once settled in) are usually very good at eating and will be the first one to grab food at the top of the tank. I did have problems getting mine to eat pellets at first, as event he small pellets were too large for the fish. Try crushing them up and see if that helps.
Mysis shrimp is also an irresistible food for most reef fish.

OP
OP
Miemaes

Miemaes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Api is notoriously inaccurate - I would look into a better test kit (Salifert, hanna, etc.).

Clowns (once settled in) are usually very good at eating and will be the first one to grab food at the top of the tank. I did have problems getting mine to eat pellets at first, as event he small pellets were too large for the fish. Try crushing them up and see if that helps.
Mysis shrimp is also an irresistible food for most reef fish.
Thx for replying. I should probably invest in a proper testing kit as I go along in this hobby. I do have mysis shrimp but he did not care for it (didn’t even try to eat it). Happy to hear yours didn’t accept pellets either. I bought extra small ones today but they just drop to the bottom next to him. I’ll try crushing them and see how he responds. I appreciate the feedback.

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I’ve tried these three (dry) and frozen mysis. Yesterday he tried to eat a pellet but spat it back out. I assumed it was too large so bought the smaller variety. I don’t know it he’s a picky eater or not feeling well. Do you normally just sprinkle food on the top of the surface and your fish come get it? Or do you need to target feed?
Hey try to crumble the pellets into smaller particles. Place them with your fingers under the water surface so they can disperse through the aquarium instead of lay on the surface. Try a little at a time so you don't over do it since the system is fairly new.

OP
OP
Miemaes

Miemaes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve tried frozen mysis, two brands of pellets for marin fish and flakes for marin fish. I almost don’t know what else is out there

OP
OP
Miemaes

Miemaes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey try to crumble the pellets into smaller particles. Place them with your fingers under the water surface so they can disperse through the aquarium instead of lay on the surface. Try a little at a time so you don't over do it since the system is fairly new.
Thanks for the advice! I’ve been sucking up all the leftover food till now bit by bit . When it’s crushed this fine… you think he’ll pick up on it? He’s still very small.

OP
OP
Miemaes

Miemaes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is your salinity at and what are you using to test it?
My salinity is at 1.025. The store bought water was 1.027-1.028. I diluted it with distilled water to bring it down. I’m using the API test kit but lots of ppl don’t advice that kit it seems.

OP
OP
Miemaes

Miemaes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If he has only been in your tank a day he may still be acclimating to the tank and just not ready to eat.

You say not cylced, but you have live rock? what are your parameters? Specifically do you have ammonia in the tank?
I do have live rock and added nitrifying bacteria to it. I did add some food at the beginning to start the cycle. Currently my ammonia levels are 0. I did have a nitrite spike this morning but didn’t measure my ammonia then. Now everything looks low again. Will do another test before going to bed.

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Thanks for the advice! I’ve been sucking up all the leftover food till now bit by bit . When it’s crushed this fine… you think he’ll pick up on it? He’s still very small.
I sure do! He should be just fine!

Rugops

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish can last long periods of time without food. It should be fine even after not eating period a couple of days granted that it is healthy.

OP
OP
Miemaes

Miemaes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish can last long periods of time without food. It should be fine even after not eating period a couple of days granted that it is healthy.
I’m so used to feeding all my freshwater fish every day… I feel he’s gonna starve since I’m not used to having a fish refusing food. Just a thing between my ears and it’s good to hear it again. I’ll try not to worry too much. Thanks :)

Icryhard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They say garlic attracts animals, it's also healthy for its mucosa. You could try to get him eat like that. Stringy transparant poop looks to be internal parasite/bacterial, but for a definitive answer you'd need the fishmedics.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 98 76.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.6%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

• I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back