Juvenile mocha clownfish

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate you saying that :) I was worried I was going to get stoned here posting this. Everyone has been so helpful and kind and all the info I’ve gotten has been super valuable.
That's how it works here on R2R. No stoning allowed :winking-face: Well maybe if you asked then disagreed with all the advice given like some people do there might be a stoning lol

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your pretty white rock won’t stay white for long! That’s part of the tank maturing it will turn green and then grey etc.. might even grow some hair algae that’s just part of the game.. you’re on the right track and it appears you have plenty of live rock to seed the pretty white one! Lol

OP
OP
Miemaes

Miemaes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your pretty white rock won’t stay white for long! That’s part of the tank maturing it will turn green and then grey etc.. might even grow some hair algae that’s just part of the game.. you’re on the right track and it appears you have plenty of live rock to seed the pretty white one! Lol
I figured it wouldn’t last. Pretty much like my white sand in my fresh water tanks

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I figured it wouldn’t last. Pretty much like my white sand in my fresh water tanks
To get used equipment you should check the marketplace or even better join your local reefing group in your area and search there

OP
OP
Miemaes

Miemaes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please keep us updated on how things go. Good luck
I promised to keep you guys updated and he passed He passed the next day of posting this thread fairly quickly. He started to go from swimming to suddenly hanging more vertical so I had put him in a breeder box in the aquarium. Like he was out of energy. He laid there for a while and it was over in no time. I’m not putting anything in that tank voor a good while .

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I’ve bought a juvenile mocha clownfish yesterday and noticed he has a long transparent stringy poop this morning. He is not interested in any of the foods that I try to feed him either. The aquarium isn’t fully cycled yet (under a week). But I’m keeping track on all my levels daily and have prime at hand incase there are spikes. It has live rock and nitrifying bacteria in the tank. Salinity is in check, PH 8-8.2, and temp at 78. He also tends to sit in one corner of the aquarium. I turned off my wave maker as there is some surface agitation from my filter. I’m not sure if the flow of the wave maker is too strong for him or not?! How long can this little fella go without food? I tried feeding with dropper and just sprinkling on the surface… I honestly don’t know what else to do.
image.jpg
Hi and welcome to r2r

Please keep an eye on parameters especially ammonia .

Was it live rock or life rock you added ?

With livestock and nitrifying bacteria you should be ok but I will
Say …
Adding fish to a new tank . Or using fish to cycle a tank is the old way of doing things .
Not humane or the best idea ( toy
Never know what parasite or illness you’re introducing )

Next : imaging the ocean ?
Can the waves turn off ?
I’m sure the fish can swim in The currents in the ocean and the same with our tanks given we aren’t using massive over rated pumps .

Hope this helped and I apologize .
I wasn’t trying to be rude or a a hole .

Happy reefing .
If you have any questions , feel free to ask

OP
OP
Miemaes

Miemaes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi and welcome to r2r

Please keep an eye on parameters especially ammonia .

Was it live rock or life rock you added ?

With livestock and nitrifying bacteria you should be ok but I will
Say …
Adding fish to a new tank . Or using fish to cycle a tank is the old way of doing things .
Not humane or the best idea ( toy
Never know what parasite or illness you’re introducing )

Next : imaging the ocean ?
Can the waves turn off ?
I’m sure the fish can swim in The currents in the ocean and the same with our tanks given we aren’t using massive over rated pumps .

Hope this helped and I apologize .
I wasn’t trying to be rude or a a hole .

Happy reefing .
If you have any questions , feel free to ask
Oh you are not rude at all. You are saying it as it is. I have roughly about half live rock and half dead white rock. I have a filter and wave maker in my aquarium to offer enough flow. I find it hard to know without anything in it what is too strong of a current and what is not strong enough. I’m already regretting I didn’t go bigger then a 6g.

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh you are not rude at all. You are saying it as it is. I have roughly about half live rock and half dead white rock. I have a filter and wave maker in my aquarium to offer enough flow. I find it hard to know without anything in it what is too strong of a current and what is not strong enough. I’m already regretting I didn’t go bigger then a 6g.
Sorry about the clownfish,,, bummer.
If you're regretting the 6 gallon tank already, now might be the best time to think about going bigger (based on where you're at from quick skim through of the thread).

Aside note -- even if you do everything as close to perfectly as possible, that doesn't guarantee 100% survival rate.
It's still possible to get a weak/unhealthy fish that just doesn't handle the stress of being caught and transported/acclimated well.
*consensus here seems to be likely ammonia spike from lack of cycle (from what I saw) but just trying to ease your mind a bit,,, don't beat yourself up

Good luck going forward...

OP
OP
Miemaes

Miemaes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry about the clownfish,,, bummer.
If you're regretting the 6 gallon tank already, now might be the best time to think about going bigger (based on where you're at from quick skim through of the thread).

Aside note -- even if you do everything as close to perfectly as possible, that doesn't guarantee 100% survival rate.
It's still possible to get a weak/unhealthy fish that just doesn't handle the stress of being caught and transported/acclimated well.
*consensus here seems to be likely ammonia spike from lack of cycle (from what I saw) but just trying to ease your mind a bit,,, don't beat yourself up

Good luck going forward...
Thanks a lot Eric, I really appreciate you saying that . I do think he wasn’t in the best state to start with either, which I’m not using as an excuse. Would love to go a bit bigger but will need to convince my husband first to expand to our basement cause my home office is packed .

Nano_Man

Anemone L
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the loss but we have all been there
Since the early 90 every tank I have set up and cycled has been with live rock. and I can not say how good live rock is for me it is the foundation of my tanks . Good luck going forward and please let us know how you get on
There’s plenty of r2r members with a wealth of knowledge and willing to help.

OP
OP
Miemaes

Miemaes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the loss but we have all been there
Since the early 90 every tank I have set up and cycled has been with live rock. and I can not say how good live rock is for me it is the foundation of my tanks . Good luck going forward and please let us know how you get on
There’s plenty of r2r members with a wealth of knowledge and willing to help.
Thanks :) I have one question if you don’t mind: When a tank is cycled with live rock, will the other types of rock take on the same bacteria and micro-organisms over the course of time?

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Based on your info I think your tank isnt ready and youre essentially cycling the tank in whats called a fish in cycle and its very hard on the fish, in your case the clownfish. Best to get a test kit that isnt API. Did you use nitrifying bottled bacteria?

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Based on your info I think your tank isnt ready and youre essentially cycling the tank in whats called a fish in cycle and its very hard on the fish, in your case the clownfish. Best to get a test kit that isnt API. Did you use nitrifying bottled bacteria?
Just read the clown passed. Im sorry. I would just let your tank be and get bottled bacteria and bottled ammonia and let the tank cycle (probably a month) no fish then when all reads 0 add a fish

OP
OP
Miemaes

Miemaes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did add live rock and nitrifying bacteria. I just did my waterchange (10%) and re-tested. I’m at 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites and less then 5ppm nitrate so I think it’s close to being cycled?! I’ll hold off for at least two more weeks to tale some of my water to my local LFS. I added a super small amount of mysis to see how my parameters will read over the next couple of days. I’ll need to invest in better equipment but I’m holding off a little until I’m sure I’ll keep doing salt water tanks. Right now I feel it’s so complex the more i read up on it, especially from the point of keeping corals . Just re-did my rocks to form three little islands to contain certain corals.

OP
OP
Miemaes

Miemaes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just read the clown passed. Im sorry. I would just let your tank be and get bottled bacteria and bottled ammonia and let the tank cycle (probably a month) no fish then when all reads 0 add a fish
Thank you!

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did add live rock and nitrifying bacteria. I just did my waterchange (10%) and re-tested. I’m at 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites and less then 5ppm nitrate so I think it’s close to being cycled?! I’ll hold off for at least two more weeks to tale some of my water to my local LFS. I added a super small amount of mysis to see how my parameters will read over the next couple of days. I’ll need to invest in better equipment but I’m holding off a little until I’m sure I’ll keep doing salt water tanks. Right now I feel it’s so complex the more i read up on it, especially from the point of keeping corals . Just re-did my rocks to form three little islands to contain certain corals.
Yeah its a learning curve, but patience is the biggest thing to learn. Dont be too quick to put fish in the tank, only get from good LFS stores and a QT tank for new arrivals to make sure they dont put anything in your tank that will kill your fish like velvet, ich ect.. Ive got a LFS that QTs fish fully near me and then a few online vendors Ive had no issues with

OP
OP
Miemaes

Miemaes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah its a learning curve, but patience is the biggest thing to learn. Dont be too quick to put fish in the tank, only get from good LFS stores and a QT tank for new arrivals to make sure they dont put anything in your tank that will kill your fish like velvet, ich ect.. Ive got a LFS that QTs fish fully near me and then a few online vendors Ive had no issues with
Yeah, I got too excited too fast :) Would you care to share the online vendors that you liked? Thanks

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I got too excited too fast :) Would you care to share the online vendors that you liked? Thanks
So Bluezoo is a little more expensive, but Ive never had any bad experience from them and all my fish from them are very healthy. I also use a place called NYC corals n fish or frag farm LLC, his name is Nicholas on FB. Not sure if you are in New York, he has a store there but Im in CO and communicate with him on FB. He fully QTs fish and Ive gotten really good fish from him. I actually have two coming next week from him! Ive also gotten fish from saltwaterfish.com, they are good as well. I go online for fish I cant find at my two LFS stores I trust.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 87 75.7%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 14 12.2%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back