K1 Kalk Stirrer Kit

AquamanE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@sbidny -that’s exactly what I want t do.

I evaporate ~2 gall day and want to start with 1/2 gallon increasing up to 1 gal if needed (I have CaRx so just trying to increase ph). Question I have is this. This Kalk reactor is supposed to be on 24/7 keeping solution saturated at all times. But the reactor itself does not hold a gallon of volume. As I increase towards one gallon will it not be mostly unsaturated water being fed? Should I scatter the dosing to a few times a day allowing it to saturate the fresh water? Should I have the stirrer only turn on like a few hours before dosing etc...

sbidny

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@sbidny -that’s exactly what I want t do.

I evaporate ~2 gall day and want to start with 1/2 gallon increasing up to 1 gal if needed (I have CaRx so just trying to increase ph). Question I have is this. This Kalk reactor is supposed to be on 24/7 keeping solution saturated at all times. But the reactor itself does not hold a gallon of volume. As I increase towards one gallon will it not be mostly unsaturated water being fed? Should I scatter the dosing to a few times a day allowing it to saturate the fresh water? Should I have the stirrer only turn on like a few hours before dosing etc...

Yeah, you'll want to spread it out enough to ensure the solution you're dosing is fully saturated, ideally. If you put too much too fast, you will start to dose unsaturated solution.

Also, even more importantly, dosing a batch all at once could raise your pH too quickly. I would suggest dosing over the course of the night. Even if you don't reach your "ideal" pH, a consistent pH is more import. Having a pH spike then drop is not desirable.

You need to stir long enough before each dose that the kalk slurry falls back to the bottom. You want to dose the clear solution, not the slurry, which would raise your pH way too high. This usually only takes a few minutes (2-5 minutes), but it depends on reactor. Best is to time the slurry falling on your own reactor.

AquamanE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you @sbidny - I’m familiar with the negatives of dosing slurry, and have the same concern of dosing unsaturated Kalk. . I think my question now is do I leave the reactor stirring 24/7 as is claimed? And spread out the dosing at night into 4-8 doses ? Or should I use a controller to turn on stirrer for a few minutes then use controller to dose. In other words: stirrer on for 10;minutes. Wait 1 hour then dose. Do this a few times per day to dose what I want?

FLSharkvictim

Shark Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water should be flowing into the reactor via the white hose, which will cause the water level in the reactor to rise. As the water rises, it will simply flow out of the barbed fitting.

Can you confirm that you are flowing water into the reactor via the white hose?

@sbidny - Yes, the one clear hose is connected to my saltwater mixing station (RODI Barrel) and the other goes through my reactor into my sump. I run it very little but you still have to clean it out ones a month, that's a must! The reactor runs off a BRS 2 PART doser -1.1 ML Per Minute and I have mine come on 3 times per day for 17 minutes which maintains my numbers nice and consistent. You will have to test every day until you hit the sweet spot if you decide to go with one. If you're running a calcium reactor, I don't see the need for a KALK reactor... I amstill in the process of designing my SCA 150 build that will include a Synergy CL-44 and there 20'' External Overflow box for my filtration along with a Scrubber. For my lighting i went with 1 AI hydra HD 52 and 2 AI Hydra HD 26's. Ones I get it cycled I will probably end up getting the GeoReef 612 calcium reactor since it will mostly be a SPS dominate tank. Build thread soon to come.

Mixing station.jpg

AquamanE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@FLSharkvictim- reason I want to dose even thought I have a CARx is because my Ph has gone down significantly. I preset amount every day will hopefully help with that. Co2 scrubber has done nothing.

FLSharkvictim

Shark Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@FLSharkvictim- reason I want to dose even thought I have a CARx is because my Ph has gone down significantly. I preset amount every day will hopefully help with that. Co2 scrubber has done nothing.

Do you have a lot of people and animals in your house by chance? Every system is different as we all know.. When I was referring to a Scrubber above in my post, I was talking about an Algae scrubber not a Co2 scrubber.

AquamanE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IDE have to say yes. 3 adults and a toddler in a 1600sq ft townhouse.

I’ve thought about the line outside idea but I’m in a community where all our Landscspe is constantly being kept up. I mean pruning, mulching, pesticide etc. I have no control over it.

And opening windows is not an option in South Florida.

Last edited:

135zman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is old post, but did you ever get your Kalk stirrer figured out with the BRS dosing pump. I set mine up this week with the 50ml/pump and it was very straight forward. Glad to help if still needed. Stirrer runs 24/7 but pump is set up to come on periodically (every 30 min) throughout the night when my PH is typically declining from the day’s high PH point (runs from 10pm to 7am). I have it set to pump in 1/2 gallon over that period. I used Neptune Apex OSC dosing code.

boacvh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is old post, but did you ever get your Kalk stirrer figured out with the BRS dosing pump. I set mine up this week with the 50ml/pump and it was very straight forward. Glad to help if still needed. Stirrer runs 24/7 but pump is set up to come on periodically (every 30 min) throughout the night when my PH is typically declining from the day’s high PH point (runs from 10pm to 7am). I have it set to pump in 1/2 gallon over that period. I used Neptune Apex OSC dosing code.
I just purchased this reactor, do you think I can mimic what you did with a PMUP pump I have? Also, would you mind sharing your OSC code?

AquamanE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just purchased this reactor, do you think I can mimic what you did with a PMUP pump I have? Also, would you mind sharing your OSC code?
This link has a good OSC calculator, its what I use for my Kalk Reactor. I have the Avast With a BRS 50ml/min pump and it works like a charm Hooked up to Apex.

With that calculator all you need to know as far as pumps is how much it pumps out.

Sorry- in initial post I didn’t include link.

Last edited:

boacvh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This link has a good OSC calculator, its what I use for my Kalk Reactor. I have the Avast With a BRS 50ml/min pump and it works like a charm Hooked up to Apex.

With that calculator all you need to know as far as pumps is how much it pumps out.

Sorry- in initial post I didn’t include link.
Thanks!

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 65 74.7%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 9 10.3%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 11 12.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back