K7 V3 User Discussion Thread-Frequently Asked Questions

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You almost have me convinced. I been so close to pulling the trigger for a few days. My luck I will finally decide and the 15% discount will be gone. I know the 25% ends in a few days.
I missed where you posted this yesterday. I really do like the lights, but I am coming from some Viparspectra blackbox LEDs to these and they seem to be a significant improvement. I've never used any of the premium brands of lights so I can't compare them. I will say that I've talked to @NJTaxMan and he switched from Radions to them and unless something has changed in the last day or so he has said that he likes the lights too. I am not aware of what generation of radions he has though.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I missed where you posted this yesterday. I really do like the lights, but I am coming from some Viparspectra blackbox LEDs to these and they seem to be a significant improvement. I've never used any of the premium brands of lights so I can't compare them. I will say that I've talked to @NJTaxMan and he switched from Radions to them and unless something has changed in the last day or so he has said that he likes the lights too. I am not aware of what generation of radions he has though.

Thanks. Between my tanks i run several different types/brands of lights but my xr30w's are by far my least favorite and considering trying these instead.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. Between my tanks i run several different types/brands of lights but my xr30w's are by far my least favorite and considering trying these instead.
That surprises me. Again I've never used any of the premium light but I always considered Radion to be one of the best. At least that is the image they've been given. The biggest downfall with the Noopsyche in my opinion versus the big names is the controlability. There is no app and the controller is as basic as it gets. I didn't think actually setting the options were as bad as everyone says though. The only settings are setting the channel intensities at 8 different time set points then the light ramps from one point to the next. Which actually means you only get 6 time points, because 2 have to be used for 0 to turn and keep the light off.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That surprises me. Again I've never used any of the premium light but I always considered Radion to be one of the best. At least that is the image they've been given. The biggest downfall with the Noopsyche in my opinion versus the big names is the controlability. There is no app and the controller is as basic as it gets. I didn't think actually setting the options were as bad as everyone says though. The only settings are setting the channel intensities at 8 different time set points then the light ramps from one point to the next. Which actually means you only get 6 time points, because 2 have to be used for 0 to turn and keep the light off.

Thank you. As long as i can set the schedule and rely on it thats all i need even if it takes a bit of cussing.

To be fair my xr30w's are old(gen 3), but not only do i dislike the actual lighting, but they all at times clear their schedules...and to fix it i have to deal with a crappy pc app and hook up via USB.

Personally i find the "premium" lights i have tried to be overpriced and underperform relative to price difference. My favorite lights so far are unbranded led bars(knockoffs of orphek light bars). If i dont try these i plan to get some more of those, but they are less versatile(or i need a lot more) if ever want to use them on a standard depth tank rather than my shallow frag tanks.

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Although I like the mobius app SO much better for the Radions, I actually think the NooPsyche's have a better spectrum and my tank looks better. I dont know if I just had a better blend on the NPs or the fact that the NPs had 35 more watts of power...I just know that my tank looks fantastic. Minor grumbles here and there around bells and whistles, but for you low maintenance, non divas out there...fantastic light.

Dbichler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I do have one small gripe. In my previous picture notice how the center light is level, or at least close to level. I looked over just a minute ago and it was leaning to one side. I went and looked at it and the claw had cracked where the screw goes into the center. I've added some epoxy to glue it back together so in the end it isn't that big of a deal, but it could be if another one breaks and drops the light into the tank.
I wish they would've been made more sturdy. I would've gladly paid more for them to be sure my lights won't fall.
Is that in a canopy if so you don’t need the brackets at all an m4 screw the canopy and whatever depth you want it’s how I hung mine.
2A39E00F-D53D-488C-BEBA-DD9D2CB06104.jpeg

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that in a canopy if so you don’t need the brackets at all an m4 screw the canopy and whatever depth you want it’s how I hung mine.
2A39E00F-D53D-488C-BEBA-DD9D2CB06104.jpeg
No mine is not in a canopy, they're just hung from a single piece of t slot rail. I was wanting to just use the single rail and mount the lights from the single screw in the bracket. I have since realized that was a mistake. I'm most likely going to make my bracket into a rectangle to where each long rail lines up with the mounting holes in the light itself.

DBLA

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a set of the 140s yesterday and am thrilled with the upgrade for me. Unfortunately one of the two is overheating and cutting out. Strange that it’s just the one. I’m also having an issue with the “claw” but more about the lack depth for mounting. I’m wondering if this is my issue. Any ideas for a “spacer”? The hardware isn’t long enough to add washers to improve airflow.
B65B7E89-68A2-4AA7-AB27-1D6DEEF9401A.jpeg
0D61FCB1-138B-452D-8A82-52D31D697FF5.jpeg
9457B8B2-FBE9-484D-95C7-141C8963A19F.jpeg

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Overall I am extremely happy with the lights so far, and for anyone who reads this I did not win my lights. I only mention it because it seems like everyone else on this site who has them just won them. I'm sure that's a gross exaggeration though. It probably feels that way because some of the people who won them feel obligated to share their opinions. I feel the need to share because I believe they're a great light for the cost. They have a few small short comings but at this price you can't expect everything to be perfect and Noopsyche still came fairly close.
I won 3 lights from "record your reef event". This is no secret. I would love to see more reviews of winners and buyers.

I am terrible at reviews. I am trying. I'm not sure the best of places to to write reviews either.

When it comes to lights. I believe the photos over the time I have used lights to be evident enough of failure and success. My old lights are absolute failures. Months of pictures show little growth. I wish I knew about these lights before I bought my orbit marine ic leds. They were no where on any reviews. I feel sad about this. They gave off about 40 par at the bottom where my bta is currently hiding.

Anyhow, I took a par reading and made a small map with my seneye reef monitor.
This is half baked. I hope you get the idea. sps ramp up setting readings I recorded at lights 8 inches above water line. The very bottom numbers were recorded at 26"

k3-95.jpg

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I should correct my post above, my brain runs around in circles and scrambles everything together. My apologies.
They (noopsyche) were no where on any reviews. I feel sad about this. They (orbit marine ic) gave off about 40 par at the bottom where my bta is currently hiding.
I was referring to the noopsyche lights. I was looking for affordable leds. The common name brands all pop up. You can try to search for noopsyche, not a lot shows up.

I feel like when I bought my old lights, I was paying for the program and not performance. You want both performance and programming, you're going to be paying a lot. Someone must program the software and keep it up to date. That is expensive.

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m coming from an AI Prime, and I think the actual lighting from the Noops is better. It’s not as customizable and nowhere near as user friendly, but the quality of the lighting is better, at least IMO (and for the record I’m no LED expert, but I’ve had a fair few different LED setups and have also used every popular type of lighting used in the last 25 years, and to my eye these are better than the Prime, my corals have also responded positively).

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m coming from an AI Prime, and I think the actual lighting from the Noops is better. It’s not as customizable and nowhere near as user friendly, but the quality of the lighting is better, at least IMO (and for the record I’m no LED expert, but I’ve had a fair few different LED setups and have also used every popular type of lighting used in the last 25 years, and to my eye these are better than the Prime, my corals have also responded positively).
I upgraded from Viparspectra black boxes to them, and so far I've been incredibly happy. From my experience the lights themselves are well made, but everything else is cheap feeling. I don't think programming the lights with the controller was as bad as everyone says. My opinion may be skewed by the fact that I've never used lights that had a mobile app to set them.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@noopsyche if I am mounting my lights close together is there a minimum distance that you would recommend leaving between them? I don't know if they're too close together will it effect cooling.
Right now my closest ones are about 20mm apart.

OP
OP
noopsyche

noopsyche

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@noopsyche if I am mounting my lights close together is there a minimum distance that you would recommend leaving between them? I don't know if they're too close together will it effect cooling.
Right now my closest ones are about 20mm apart.
Yes, there must be enough distance to dissipate heat 20mm maybe too close. it's recommend about 10cm distance

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just left my G5 XR15s. yes the mobius app is nicer. Yes the XR15s have more feature. Yes, the XR15s are a bit quieter. But my stuff looks better under these. I am ordering a third light because I like them so much. Being a non gadget, low maintenance kinda guy..more than happy to save 700 bucks per light (with my NP 140s coming in at 150 and the equivalent XR30 coming in at 850). 700 bucks per light makes up for a lot of bells and whistles that I honestly never used with the XR15s

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a set of the 140s yesterday and am thrilled with the upgrade for me. Unfortunately one of the two is overheating and cutting out. Strange that it’s just the one. I’m also having an issue with the “claw” but more about the lack depth for mounting. I’m wondering if this is my issue. Any ideas for a “spacer”? The hardware isn’t long enough to add washers to improve airflow.
B65B7E89-68A2-4AA7-AB27-1D6DEEF9401A.jpeg
0D61FCB1-138B-452D-8A82-52D31D697FF5.jpeg
9457B8B2-FBE9-484D-95C7-141C8963A19F.jpeg
I went to the hardware store and just bought 0.5 metric screws and screwed the light directly to my AL hybrid light bracket and avoided the claw all together. VERY sturdy.

656ACBA9-6217-4D99-A929-BDC110BF59B3.jpeg

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went to the hardware store and just bought 0.5 metric screws and screwed the light directly to my AL hybrid light bracket and avoided the claw all together. VERY sturdy.

The claw is very flimsy from my experience. I was originally hanging the lights from the claw attached to a single rail. After several claws broke I realized I had to do something different. I build a rectangular frame from t slot aluminum so that I could mount the lights from the holes in the lights directly. I'm so much happier mounting them this way.
20211106_001114.jpg
20211106_001126.jpg

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The claw is very flimsy from my experience. I was originally hanging the lights from the claw attached to a single rail. After several claws broke I realized I had to do something different. I build a rectangular frame from t slot aluminum so that I could mount the lights from the holes in the lights directly. I'm so much happier mounting them this way.
20211106_001114.jpg
20211106_001126.jpg
I really like this idea. It would work for the opening of my canopy. But, the mounting hardware works as well.

Both would work.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like this idea. It would work for the opening of my canopy. But, the mounting hardware works as well.

Both would work.
I didn't even buy their mounting hardware other than the paw, because I didn't want to re do my screen tops to cut out around the brackets. So I had planned on doing a diy hanging mount from the beginning. I'm sure their mounting hardware works fine, I just didn't want to use it.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 30.4%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 17 21.5%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 21 26.6%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 17 21.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back