Kalk and trace elements

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Chlorinated

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Bulk Reef Supply

Just finished watching your video about the hybrid BRS 2 part and TM balling.

Currently I dose Kalk through my ATO. it does require seasonal adjustments but it works for my small 20gallon softie dominated tank. My question is, if I wanted to somehow incorporate trace elements to my regimen, how could it be done?

Can part C be added to kalk in my ATO? What about Trace A/B? Any guidance is appreciated! And thanks for all the amazing videos!

TexasTodd

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS has a video on dosing Red Sea Colors. In it they say how to calculate in relation to your kalkwasser usage and you can even put all ABCD in your mixed kalkwasser! I've been doing it for two years with no issues.

randyBRS

BRStv Host :-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS has a video on dosing Red Sea Colors. In it they say how to calculate in relation to your kalkwasser usage and you can even put all ABCD in your mixed kalkwasser! I've been doing it for two years with no issues.

My understanding is that Red Sea separates the A, B, C, D into individual solutions in order to preserve the integrity of the elements in each one. I haven't heard of mixing them all together, nor adding them directly to the kalk solution.

It would be interesting to find out if there were any degradation or change to the trace elements when you mix them all together in your Kalkwasser?

randyBRS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Bulk Reef Supply
Currently I dose Kalk through my ATO. it does require seasonal adjustments but it works for my small 20gallon softie dominated tank. My question is, if I wanted to somehow incorporate trace elements to my regimen, how could it be done?
Can part C be added to kalk in my ATO? What about Trace A/B? Any guidance is appreciated! And thanks for all the amazing videos!

As @TexasTodd mentioned, here is a video I did LONG ago about using Red Sea Trace with Kalkwasser. I tend to lean towards following the manufacturer's dosing instructions, so I would be hesitant to mix them all together or add them directly to your Kalkwasser solution, but you could calculate your consumption and pick a single day of the week to dose all four directly to your tank. :)

OP
OP
Chlorinated

Chlorinated

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As @TexasTodd mentioned, here is a video I did LONG ago about using Red Sea Trace with Kalkwasser. I tend to lean towards following the manufacturer's dosing instructions, so I would be hesitant to mix them all together or add them directly to your Kalkwasser solution, but you could calculate your consumption and pick a single day of the week to dose all four directly to your tank. :)

Have you investigated or do you plan to investigate if TM traces can he added, or just happen to know based on experience?

randyBRS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you investigated or do you plan to investigate if TM traces can he added, or just happen to know based on experience?

We have not investigated that. I think it would be a very difficult and extensive test to figure out.

Again, I would default to what Red Sea recommends for dosing A, B, C and D. I have not seen them recommend mixing them all together, nor have I seen them recommend adding them to a single dosing solution like Kalkwasser....so I personally wouldn't do it.

Actually, I would be even more worried about adding the Trace Colors directly to your Kalk .... because if you read the manual for the Trace Colors program they provide very direct effects of overdosing one or more of the A, B, C, D.

By dosing each A, B, C, D individually by hand (as is recommended by Red Sea and myself) you can avoid an overdose with more controlled and deliberate dosage amounts.

Last edited:

aarbutina

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Bulk Reef Supply

Not sure if there is a need to add Part C in your situation if you are using only Kalk. @randyBRS could correct me if I’m wrong, but my understanding is that the addition of Part C is is a Sodium Chloride free salts and is to account of the extra Sodium and Chloride that build up when dosing 2-part (Calcium Chloride and Sodium Carbonate/ Bicarbonate). This isn’t an issue with using Kalk (Calcium Hydroxide).

Also the trace elements dosed in the latest BRS video were TropMarin’s K+ and A-. I think the OP mistakenly labeled this as Trace A/B. Not totally sure if these could be added to the ATO with Kalk. Probably not recommended. But I pretty sure they could safely be added individually directly to the tank in the right amount. In the Video these were mixed with the two different parts of 2 part, though I don’t see a reason why they shouldn’t be able to be added directly.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Chlorinated

Chlorinated

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if there is a need to add Part C in your situation if you are using only Kalk. @randyBRS could correct me if I’m wrong, but my understanding is that the addition of Part C is is a Sodium Chloride free salts and is to account of the extra Sodium and Chloride that build up when dosing 2-part (Calcium Chloride and Sodium Carbonate/ Bicarbonate). This isn’t an issue with using Kalk (Calcium Hydroxide).

Also the trace elements dosed in the latest BRS video were TropMarin’s K+ and A-. I think the OP mistakenly labeled this as Trace A/B. Not totally sure if these could be added to the ATO with Kalk. Probably not recommended. But I pretty sure they could safely be added individually directly to the tank in the right amount. In the Video these were mixed with the two different parts of 2 part, though I don’t see a reason why they shouldn’t be able to be added directly.
Yiu are correct, I didnt mean A/B I was referring to K+/A-

OP
OP
Chlorinated

Chlorinated

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just trying to help out since the conversation turned to Red Sea trace colors somehow.
Yes it did which confused me haha. I appreciate the clarification.

Basically I am looking for a simplified way to add traces without having to do additional dosing. My consumption is very low, so no real need to go 2-part...kalk works. So, if there is a way to add traces of some form to the ATO with the kalk, that would be ideal and keep things simple.

aarbutina

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it did which confused me haha. I appreciate the clarification.

Basically I am looking for a simplified way to add traces without having to do additional dosing. My consumption is very low, so no real need to go 2-part...kalk works. So, if there is a way to add traces of some form to the ATO with the kalk, that would be ideal and keep things simple.

If you consumption is very low, there may not be a need to add trace mixtures if you are keeping up with your water changes. Or you could make the addition of traces a weekly or bi weekly thing. Just a thought. I don't think it would be a good idea to mix the two TropMarin Trace Mixture in the ATO with the Kalk.

OP
OP
Chlorinated

Chlorinated

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you consumption is very low, there may not be a need to add trace mixtures if you are keeping up with your water changes. Or you could make the addition of traces a weekly or bi weekly thing. Just a thought. I don't think it would be a good idea to mix the two TropMarin Trace Mixture in the ATO with the Kalk.
Probably right. Just always looking for way to improve. Appreciate the input

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 65 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 36 21.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 35.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.6%
Back