Kalk Reactor Impellers

jimsflies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a geo reef kalk reactor (pressurized) and I get about 5 months out of an impeller. Is that typical? Any tips for increasing impeller life-span?

I replaced the stock maxi jet with a sicce 0.5 last year due to not being able to find the old maxijet impellers. The mixing (and feed) is controlled via Apex and is set to stir every couple hours for 2 minutes.

Maybe I'd be better off with a bigger pump (presumably more durable impeller) and valve the flow down to not over mix the reactor?

Has anyone retro fitted their kalk reactor with a magnetic stir plate? I'm looking into this, but it would need to be a big one since the reactor holds a couple gallons of water.

Montiman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a DIY reactor and I went through a bazillion Maxi Jet impellers so I switched to a lifegard quiet one and went through 3 impellers and now I have a Mag Drive and it has been running like a champ for just over 2 years.

Many plastics get brittle in the High pH environment of the reactor so not all impellers hold up well. If I were to do it again I would go with an Iwaki as these are chemical transfer pumps rebranded for our industry. I am sure they are built to withstand the extreme environment of the reactor.

MCWL

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would take 2 years. What model mag Drive did you use?

OP
OP
J

jimsflies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An iwaki pump would be serious overkill (price and size). The magnetic stirrer would be a lot more feasible IMO.

Montiman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An iwaki pump would be serious overkill (price and size). The magnetic stirrer would be a lot more feasible IMO.
I may need to look at the price of magnetic stirirs again but the Iwaki 15 is less than $200 and I am confident it would last almost forever. My main reservation about stirirs is parts availability and my ability to source an identical replacement. I also just kinda like pumps as an aquarium guy.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back