Kalk Stirrer project

Gene Ashton

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Newbie to SW. I have a RSR450 and want to start to dosing Kalk the easy way. Currently I am dripping out of a milk jug about a gallon a day per 1/2 TSP. I like to build and tinker so I would like to put in a Avast K1 you build it kit. Can I push ATO RODI out of the ATO chamber into the Avast Marine Kalk stirrer with the BRS 1.1 doser pump and then let gravity push the Kalk out of the stirrer or do I hook the pump up the stirrer to draw/suck the Kalk out of the Stirrer. I read the instructions on Avast K1 and it isn't really clear. Has anybody got a Avast you build Kalk stirrer? The seem to have good reviews and are like $50.00 bucks less if you build. Any advice? TIA

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am runn8ng that set up. I use a Tunze ATO though. My Tunze is in my rodi res. When the ATO kicks on the pump p7mps rodi into the avast stirrer. The avast stirrer fills up and pours the kalk water into the tank. Works well, no issues. I bought the put together one cause I am not good at diy

OP
OP
G

Gene Ashton

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I posted that before but the consensus was the ATO pump would be to powerful and I would end up with slurry in my tank.

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on how much your ATO pumps. My ATO just kicks on enough to dose the clear kalk but not the slurry when topping off the water. It doses a little bit at a time and never lets the slurry gets to the output . As long as your not putting too much rodi thru the top off should not be an issue.

DogsRule

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also use a Tunze Osmolator to dose all my top off via a DIY Kalk reactor. The Tunze ATOs are very accurate & only dose a small amount of top off at a time. It's not an issue of how powerful the top off pump is, but rather how sensitive the sensors are at monitoring the water level- little & often rather than a lot at one time.
Lastly, use the ATO pump to push water into the kalk stirrer. If you use it after the stirrer it will need frequent cleanings & be more prone to failure. HTH

OP
OP
G

Gene Ashton

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also use a Tunze Osmolator to dose all my top off via a DIY Kalk reactor. The Tunze ATOs are very accurate & only dose a small amount of top off at a time. It's not an issue of how powerful the top off pump is, but rather how sensitive the sensors are at monitoring the water level- little & often rather than a lot at one time.
Lastly, use the ATO pump to push water into the kalk stirrer. If you use it after the stirrer it will need frequent cleanings & be more prone to failure. HTH
Thanks, this is exactly what I plan on. I think with the auto aqua AWC ATO I can set the pump speed/volume.

Lighthouze08

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
why not just get a standalone dosing pump for the kalk? that way you know exactly how much you are putting into your system. I have a K2 version from Avast and use a dosing pump to push water into the reactor

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back