Kasa Smart Wi-Fi Power Strip

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont believe they have this option your looking for.
The Kasa do have this option. I use the timer all the time when I feed.
74AE63A3-AF0D-44DE-97FE-53BB551A7C56.png

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a little info on how I use my Kasa App, powerstrips and smartplugs. Had them almost a year now. Power goes out all the time at my house so I made sure to test what dosing pump would do if it’s on and power goes out till after the “off” is scheduled. Power comes back on and it is “off”. Test this yourself if you get any WiFi power strip or doser including Kasa.

10 gallon nano
1. Return pump-to turn power off when I do water change and use timer when I feed my corals) Also have programmed for “On” every 3 hours, just in case I forget to set the timer;)
2. Schedule my BRS dosing pump for All for Reef.
3. Schedule my top off water which keeps up with evaporation (don’t need ATO by doing this). I used to dose Kalk and this was easily scheduled for multiple doses over night with my BRS dosing pump.
4. Powerhead. Schedule this to come on and off multiple times a day.

60 gallon. (About 10 months)
1. Refugium light schedule
2. First powerhead schedule
3. Second powerhead schedule
4. Lights under stand
5. Protein skinner schedule for only night
6. Dosing pump for All for reef
Smart Plug 1
1. My return pump and ATO plugged into this with splitter so when I turn off return, the ATO doesn’t drive me nuts with the beeping.

Quarantine
smartplug 2
1. HOB Filter and powerhead to turn off or use timer.
Smartplug 3
1. LED schedule

jnvd3b

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know why the app only works when off of wifi? Or maybe it is just me? On wifi the on/off toggle as well as clicking in to power usage etc doesn’t work. Turn wifi on my phone off and it works immediately.

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it’s Kasa, it should be working with wifi. I never use this, but just checked my fuge light energy consumption while on WiFi.
6E04FD66-0175-4494-B87F-A2CC30994F8B.png

Fakegolfnews

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does this have all the same features? Can i run a splitter off this to run 2 devises to one of these plugs? I needs 4 outlets but dont need them to all run independently.

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does this have all the same features? Can i run a splitter off this to run 2 devises to one of these plugs? I needs 4 outlets but dont need them to all run independently.

Yes. You would just use splitter so one outlet runs 2 pumps or 2 lights.
However Black Friday is coming up and I got my 6 plug power strip for $55 then. It may be worth it to wait and have 3 extra plugs in case you want to expand.

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This one doesn’t have power consumption monitoring.
You are right, now that I look at my single plugs in the app, they only give me runtime not energy consumption.
CFAE8248-5F8C-425D-A307-F57758ABE171.jpeg

Obsessed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the Kasa strip has anyone tested what happens when the internet goes out? Wanting to make sure it will keep the set schedule.

Beau_B

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t have Kasa, but both my Amazon and the Gosund plugs do not change operations if the internet is out. They keep whatever setting it was on, and in my case since I’m using the Alexa app with routines, even when the internet comes back, it doesn’t “correct” the settings. Have to manually do it or wait until the next scheduled event takes place. Most of what I have running is always/default on so it hasn’t caused any issues.

DaddyFish

“5 percenter”
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the Kasa strip has anyone tested what happens when the internet goes out? Wanting to make sure it will keep the set schedule.
Yes, I have done extensive testing with the Kasa Power Strips, both the 6-outlet and the 3-outlet version.

When you lose Internet, BUT NOT WiFi, you can still access the strip using the phone app, provided your phone/device is on the same WiFi network. If you are running multiple WiFi bandwidths (2.4, 5.0, 5.0 dual etc.) you must make sure your phone/device is attached to the 2.4 network.

If you lose WiFi (and therefore Internet access), you can only control the Kasa strip through the manual On/Off buttons on the strip itself.

In all cases of WiFi or Internet loss, the strip will maintain it's schedule. The schedule is stored on the strip itself.

Sarlindescent

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 7 of these running. The longest is around a few years. I have been very pleased with the price to performance. I am considering adding a reef pi for temp and dual ph control. I only had one of them that had the reset issue. I wiped it and redid the profile and haven't had an issue since. As mentioned, these maintain schedule with internet outage.

The only major concern using these is they are trigger driven and not state driven like an apex. If you power goes out and something is in the on position and power does not return until after the off trigger, they will remain on until the next off trigger. For 99% of what people are doing, this is irrelevant. If your lights stay on for 20 hours, you may have a little algae to clean up. With that said, if you are using a BRS style doser, I would not recommend using this for that. If you do, add a mechanical timer. Alk dumping in the tank for hours could be catastrophic.

With all that, I have 7. I wait for them to go on sale for 50-55 each and buy what I need. Amazon often caps it at one per account, so I just make extra emails and accounts if I need multiple at once. I haven't looked into their schedule, but they go on sale at least 4 times a year from what I can tell. Hell the 2 tanks I have on apexs also run these since its cheaper than extra power bars, but my apex classic is dying, hence reef pi.

Honestly, with availability of smart power bars being what they are nowadays, app controlled lights, and dc controlled pumps, I don't see a whole lot of point in an apex anymore unless you want a everything under one system and are willing to pay quite a bit for apex, trident, potentially extra modules... Just set your lights and leave them. Set your return and leave it. Set your powerheads and leave it for months until you need to turn up to account for growth.

One other useful thing that hasn't been mentioned is adding a single plug to your ro booster pump. I turn on the ro sytem. Go to my phone and turn on the booster power. Then set a timer to turn off in 6 minutes for 1 gallon or 32 minutes for a 5 gallon bucket. I let a float handle the off on the water storage. Just need to time how long it takes once.

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just picked one up on Amazon for $51. One thing I’d like is the ability to choose increments of less than a minute, ie turn a pump on at 4pm and turn it off at 4pm and 30 secs. It only does full minutes. Otherwise, very nice.

WRXTerror

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my Kasa powerstrip. I made a google home routine so i say "feeding time" and the pump, powerhead, and skimmer turn off. After 15 mins it comes back on. Time to clean skimmer, "hey google turn off skimmer."

AbjectMaelstroM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I use the 6, 3, and a ton of singles around the house and on my QT/frag tanks. They work very well, especially considering the cost.

The only limitation is that their timer/schedule is limited to hours and minutes. So if you need a timer or schedule to be in less than 1 minute increments, you're hosed. I ended up hooking some of them to reef pi to make them more robust, but honestly these do a lot of what one would want to do in an aquarium environment.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reliability is key. I use the pump to dose Kalk and cannot have the timer change and get off program. I used a mechanical timer once and almost crashed my tank becasue it stuck on "ON". I have to change to a more expensive digital timer. It ran for the last 8 years with no problem.
i also had my office tank light timer stuck on ON for a few days and bleached all my corals. I was not there at night and did not catch it until all the coral bleached.

I am really worry about "once in a while we have to re-sync it". This is problematic for some critical application.

AbjectMaelstroM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I probably wouldn't control a doser off of this, and it would be hard to do so without a more fine control of the timer (seconds).

In over a year I haven't had an issue where these turned on/off when they're not suppose to. That being said, I have a Kasa switch, that has been randomly turning off...but it's one light switch out of 13 plugs I have that work flawlessly. Any electronic equipment, especially "smart" devices can fail. All about one's comfort level.

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just picked one up on Amazon for $51. One thing I’d like is the ability to choose increments of less than a minute, ie turn a pump on at 4pm and turn it off at 4pm and 30 secs. It only does full minutes. Otherwise, very nice.
Nice buy!
That’s my only issue with it too is the inability to use timer down to the seconds.
This would be so helpful to dial in the correct dosing of All For Reef. But it’s close enough for me. On the smaller tank, I just diluted my All For Reef a bit so the same amount was dosed over a longer 1 minute time period.

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice buy!
That’s my only issue with it too is the inability to use timer down to the seconds.
This would be so helpful to dial in the correct dosing of All For Reef. But it’s close enough for me. On the smaller tank, I just diluted my All For Reef a bit so the same amount was dosed over a longer 1 minute time period.
Yes, I may need to do something similar. I'm playing around with it to do my AWC. So I have it where I shut off my return pump and ATO. Then I turn on the pump in my sump and drain for 1 min, then turn off. Then turn on the pump in my SW container to fill for 1 min. I'm hoping the minimum 1 minute time doesn't drain too much water, otherwise I will need to go with smaller pumps.
Thought I might be able to use the timer function for the same purposes but don't see a way to do but on and off functions with it. I also think that once they enable the Smart Actions functionality, that will be useful.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 73 51.4%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 31 21.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.3%
Back