Kayzah

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everybody,

I just got a REEFER 170 and I'm creating this thread in order to document my progress in the REEF hobby, and as a beginner, ask for advice and guidance so as to avoid clumsy mistakes as I made in the past.

I stepped into the Reef hobby two years ago (2016), starting off with a REEFER 350, and what I remember is that I failed miserably. After just 5 months the tank was already gone. I faced many issues with water and equipment to the point that I quickly became overwhelmed, and I gave up.

So now, I'm giving it a second try but with a smaller tank this time, hoping to start on the right foot.
Therefore, there won't be anything fancy about this project! It will be an extremely basic build.

Also, I'm French and I live in France (by the way, please excuse my grammar mistakes), and unfortunately here, we are immensely limited when it comes to Reef equipment.

Here is how the project is shaping up:

Tank: RED SEA REEFER 170 Black (ordered and delivered)

Light: EVERGROW IT5040 (it won't be delivered before three weeks)

Skimmer: DELTEC SC 1351

Return pomp: EHEIM Compact ON 2100 - 2100 L/H

Powerheads: 2 x JEBAO JECOD SW-4 + wireless controler

5 stages RO/DI system

Heater: VISITHERM 300w (that I own from my previous tank, it might be too much for the REEFER 170, we'll see!)

I will go 100% Dry rocks + live sand. I have already ordered 33 lbs (15 Kg) of Marco Rocks (any advice for curing dry rock will be welcome).
But as for the live sand, I don't know yet which one should I go for. Any suggestion will be welcome.

Pictures

I'll keep you posted as and when I update the tank, and as and when I receive each piece of equipment. Stay tuned! ;)

kevyg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome back! I am new so my advice Is limited but I recently went with arag alive Fiji Pink. A lot of people go with arag alive specialty grade as well.

Good luck with it all! Can't wait to see it all come together.

OP
OP
Kayzah

Kayzah

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all.

For the live sand, I think I will go for CARIBSEA Aragalive Hawaiian Black. I like the way it looks.

caribsea-arag-alive-hawaiian-black-907-kg.jpg

alex.mccann99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good so far. Why not go with a Radion XR15 or something similar? You've spent the money on nice stuff, don't cheap out on one of the most important pieces (if you're growing coral). Evergrow lights are fine for beginners and admittedly they were my first dive into LEDs also. Go with a Radion, or something of equivalent quality, you won't regret it.

OP
OP
Kayzah

Kayzah

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Alex,
Is that Caribsea Hawaiian Black?

I've just read on a forum to be very careful when clean the glass with the magnet, as black sand consists of some small magnetized particles, so you can easily end up scratching your glass before you even now. Do you confirm that?

OP
OP
Kayzah

Kayzah

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys,

Just received today my RO/DI system

And my Marco Rocks (33 lbs)

Here is the thread regarding the seeding and curing of my dry rocks

Stay tuned!

Kay

OP
OP
Kayzah

Kayzah

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys!

Latest news.

The tank has been filled with water for two weeks now.
I've just received my light and I set it right away.

IMG_20180123_232825.jpg IMG_20180123_232619.jpg

Eggpaul

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everybody,

I just got a REEFER 170 and I'm creating this thread in order to document my progress in the REEF hobby, and as a beginner, ask for advice and guidance so as to avoid clumsy mistakes as I made in the past.

I stepped into the Reef hobby two years ago (2016), starting off with a REEFER 350, and what I remember is that I failed miserably. After just 5 months the tank was already gone. I faced many issues with water and equipment to the point that I quickly became overwhelmed, and I gave up.

So now, I'm giving it a second try but with a smaller tank this time, hoping to start on the right foot.
Therefore, there won't be anything fancy about this project! It will be an extremely basic build.

Also, I'm French and I live in France (by the way, please excuse my grammar mistakes), and unfortunately here, we are immensely limited when it comes to Reef equipment.

Here is how the project is shaping up:

Tank: RED SEA REEFER 170 Black (ordered and delivered)

Light: EVERGROW IT5040 (it won't be delivered before three weeks)

Skimmer: DELTEC SC 1351

Return pomp: EHEIM Compact ON 2100 - 2100 L/H

Powerheads: 2 x JEBAO JECOD SW-4 + wireless controler

5 stages RO/DI system

Heater: VISITHERM 300w (that I own from my previous tank, it might be too much for the REEFER 170, we'll see!)

I will go 100% Dry rocks + live sand. I have already ordered 33 lbs (15 Kg) of Marco Rocks (any advice for curing dry rock will be welcome).
But as for the live sand, I don't know yet which one should I go for. Any suggestion will be welcome.

Pictures

I'll keep you posted as and when I update the tank, and as and when I receive each piece of equipment. Stay tuned! ;)

Did you add the rock and then the sand? or did you add the sand, then sit the rock on top of it. I feel like in my 150g setup, I want to take my time in aquascaping. If I do add the live sand first, wouldn't it need saltwater added right after? That would make it difficult to aquascape.

OP
OP
Kayzah

Kayzah

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I put the dry rocks first then the sand two weeks after

Eggpaul

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I put the dry rocks first then the sand two weeks after

Only issue is that I have 120 pounds of dry rock and about 30 lbs of live rock from my other tank. When I put the live rock in it would need water. So I'd have to probably put the sand in and some water too, all in 1 day.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 9.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 45 34.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 41 31.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 23.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back