Keep the reef tank or to give it away

Prehistoric Reefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am leaving next year to go on a mission for the church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I am excited to go but it pains me to think about what to do with my reef tank... It is a 40-gallon mixed reef tank with a variety of softies, lps, sps, clams, shrimps, and 7 fishes. I will be gone for 2 years. My family offered to take care of it, but I am not sure. They have no experience with keeping aquariums. I can keep in contact with them so I can still help. But on the other hand, I know how difficult it is and I don't want things to die making them feel guilty.

What sucks is that everything is finally growing into colonies and the tank is doing so good right now. It would suck to tear it down. Also, I live in a small town where the only lfs is a big chain store and there isn't a reef club or a lot of people that have saltwater. So I don't know how hard it would be to sell everything.
At this point, I am probably just ranting. :grinning-face-with-sweat:

So yeah, the question is should I keep the tank and teach my family how to take care of it? Or would it be better, in the long run to get rid of it and start new when I get back? Also if anybody has other ideas, it would be great to hear them. Thanks

collins.jason.k

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think you can teach your family to "really" take care of your reef to the expectations that you have set for yourself? If so then let them go for it. If not, find the critters a good home, clean the equipment and put it in storage and start again when your mission work has completed.

This will save you from any feeling of regret or answer with your family/friends if you come back to a reef that is not all you want it or expect it to be.

Just make the next one better.

OP
OP
Prehistoric Reefs

Prehistoric Reefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think you can teach your family to "really" take care of your reef to the expectations that you have set for yourself? If so then let them go for it. If not, find the critters a good home, clean the equipment and put it in storage and start again when your mission work has completed.

This will save you from any feeling of regret or answer with your family/friends if you come back to a reef that is not all you want it or expect it to be.

Just make the next one better.
You make a good point. That is what I am thinking, I guess i just need to hear it from someone. Thanks.

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yep break it down..if you dont, it will only be heart break when you come back
Agreed. It takes to long long to truly learn to reef an already setup system when you're starting with little to no knowledge

bradreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Give the corals to someone local with expectations that they give you large pieces if you setup again and they live. Family could possibly keep fowlr. Ide say its easier to take down.

Nano_Man

Anemone L
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take it apart keep your tank and equipment for when you get back . So you can start again good luck on your journey. You will definitely miss your reef but at least it will be there for you .

kamkam1999

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what is your maintenance method? if just a weekly water change i believe they would be ok

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have to agree with what’s been said. Unless the family member genuinely wants to become a reefer, 2 years is just an unreasonable amount of time, many new reefers don’t last a year after all the headaches. Sell the live stock and clean and keep the equipment and restart when your mission is over.

Nick Steele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If someone is wanting to learn and willing to take responsibility of it then teach. If they are saying yes just to please you get rid of corals/fish and keep tank to set up again.

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to have to say give it away, unless they are willing to learn reefing and maintain a tank for 2 years.
Agreed, even today I would not want to take on someone else's reef with the expectations of them getting it back in two years. If something were to go wrong I would feel horrible.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 44 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 17 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 33 12.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 156 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.0%
Back