Keeping Cars With Reef Tanks

goliwala

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All. I have about 500 gallons worth or reef tanks in my garage. Garage is completely closed, no windows and not possible due to HOA. During summer, I can pop the garage door open up to a foot. I evaporate about 10 gallons of water a day in summer. What I am wondering is what kind of long term effects can I see if I park a Tesla in the garage. I'm not worried about the body since I think it's rust proof. What I'm worried about is the long term effect on batteries and connections. Will I start seeing corrosion after few years?

Fishurama

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I doubt it as the connections are hidden from water, as you drive through water, it splashes the underside(where the batteries and main connection actually are) and since cars are meant to drive through water, be in rain, sit out in wet weather,etc, im sure it will be fine.
Living out in CA by the beach the main issue is paint, the salt i the air damages paint over time, which i doubt your tanks will do.

OP
OP
G

goliwala

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What got me concerned was the fact that within couple of years, all my tools are completely rusted. Even the ones that are in their own boxes. I'm talking about the tools that never touched salt water.

i_declare_bankruptcy

out of control
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What got me concerned was the fact that within couple of years, all my tools are completely rusted. Even the ones that are in their own boxes. I'm talking about the tools that never touched salt water.
I live in Dana Point about 0.5 mi from the water. All of my tools are rusted, my new truck is corroding already, bike chains rusted, etc. It's amazing how fast it happens!!

Crustaceon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’ll get some of that in an enclosed garage no matter what you do simply because any kind of wave action will cause the salt water to aerosolize to some degree. This will especially happen if microbubbles are present. It still should cause any issues. Your brake rotors will probably get some surface rust on the hubs and that’ll be it. I wouldn’t be concerned with wiring or anything like that being affected. As noted they’re extremely well insulated. I live in San Diego and that salty sea air is whipped up by the wind. Never buy a car near a beach. Just make sure to wash your car periodically, including the underside.

tripdad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to mitigate the humidity as best you can. The car is protected for the most part but some of the delicate electronics might be affected if car is kept in a humid state. Outside the stuff dries out and there really is not constant humidity surrounding the car as it might be in a garage. Can you do an exhaust fan? A small bathroom type with just a vent poking through siding? It might be enough to help.

rwreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think anything near the tank will corrode eventually. I know in my fish room everything that can rust does....blows my mind how things not even close to the tank rust...just in same room.

spiraling

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its a high humidity environement. Thing Florida. A dehumidifier or two will take care of the problems you think might happen.

TeotheCoral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am thinking of putting my 80g tank in garage too. Did you have any problems with rusting of the rails and garage doors? I am thinking of getting one of those exhaust fan to put on the upper part of the wall to suck air out.

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would try to figure out how to run an exhaust fan to pull air from directly above the tank(s) and from the stands and vent it outside. One possibility might be to run ac duct through the cieling ot the soffet vents along the edge of the roof. I'm working locally with an aquarist to vent his fish room which is in the center of the house and we're looking at going straight up through the attic to the ridge vent.

Justanano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't trust it.. rust..corrosion.... humidity.. all of there will happen like it or not

OP
OP
G

goliwala

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am thinking of putting my 80g tank in garage too. Did you have any problems with rusting of the rails and garage doors? I am thinking of getting one of those exhaust fan to put on the upper part of the wall to suck air out.
I ended up getting a dehumidifier. My electric bill went up quite a bit and water evaporation is almost double but gives me the peace of mind that I am not destroying anything in my garage. No rust on garage doors or railings but al my tools were rusted.

TeotheCoral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amazon sells a fan that is activated by temperature and humidity. It’s name is check it out. You’re in Thousand Oaks and I’m in OC. How long have you had the tank in garage and what is the size of tank? Thanks

Attachments

• 1237FDF3-D20C-4A7E-803B-053AB03CAA83.jpeg
    1237FDF3-D20C-4A7E-803B-053AB03CAA83.jpeg
    80.9 KB · Views: 26

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 14.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 6 5.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 18 15.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 65 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 7.0%
Back