Keeping fish in reef that's not typical

ireland425

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok guys I want to know what all fish yall keep in your reef that isn't normally reef safe or paired with others that usually is said not to work.

I myself have a yellow tang and scopus tang to gather that do great in my 90 also have a niger trigger but thinking of a puffer or other different no usual fish for a reef I'd like to weigh the good and bad experiences

OP
OP
ireland425

ireland425

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Iv always said I'd want one in a predator tank never thought about one in a reef. I don't think my clowns or blenny would last long lol I'm guessing u have large tank and fish

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Iv always said I'd want one in a predator tank never thought about one in a reef. I don't think my clowns or blenny would last long lol I'm guessing u have large tank and fish
No but the lfs has a tank with large fish and a frogfish

Brittany Marie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a yellow tang. Lightning maroon clown. Snowflake clown. Valentini puffer. Painted angler. Golden dwarf moray.

I like to think of it as the misfits tank

OP
OP
ireland425

ireland425

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a yellow tang. Lightning maroon clown. Snowflake clown. Valentini puffer. Painted angler. Golden dwarf moray.

I like to think of it as the misfits tank
I got a maroon clown to keep my black oc clown in check as he is a bit of a bully first fish in tank and nips at my hands which is annoying but didn't work just bullied marron till it got just aggressive and now both constantly nip at me when hand is in tank lol

How is the Val puffer around coral and inverts also have a 12 inch carpet anemone any inputs on that working out with small puffer

Also going eel route after tank grows out a bit so I want have to move any rock around

OP
OP
ireland425

ireland425

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A yellow and purple tang and throw in a clown trigger for fun,
Iv had my Niger trigger for 2 months it was only a inch long when I brought home now almost 3 inches at this rate I'll be upgrading to larger tank in 6 months. I never would of thought a it would grow so fast....if only I could get my coral to triple in size in 2 months

Brittany Marie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a maroon clown to keep my black oc clown in check as he is a bit of a bully first fish in tank and nips at my hands which is annoying but didn't work just bullied marron till it got just aggressive and now both constantly nip at me when hand is in tank lol

How is the Val puffer around coral and inverts also have a 12 inch carpet anemone any inputs on that working out with small puffer

Also going eel route after tank grows out a bit so I want have to move any rock around

My clowns have never nipped at me. They’re working on taking food from my hand. Now squabbling between each other is a whole different story. My puffer hasn’t touched a single coral. He’s nipped at hermits a few times, but after watching for a while I think their ticky movements just caught his eye. He’d nip, then immediately stop. I’ve heard carpets are fish eaters...I have 3 bubble tips and the puffer doesn’t really seem to go near them. Just make sure your rock is stable (im sure all aquarist do) when I started this tank I knew I wanted an eel so I made a pvc skeleton and attached my rock to that with zip ties. They don’t budge.

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, there's this guy . . .
IMG_0042.JPG

Larger species of parrotfish can bite right into the rock of the reef itself, and devour SPS entire - but this fellow focuses on algae.

~Bruce

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots of 'with caution' in my reef - emperor angel, regal angel, multiple dwarf Angels, Rock beauty angel and a Quoyi parrot. Also wrasses and a zebra eel tough on the cleanup crew. In terms of incompatible fish, that depends a lot in tank size and reefing regimen. I have four zebrasomas in my 450; and lots of damsels, but otherwise mostly they coexist.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Considering this guy's tank is only 90 gallons and he already has 3 fish that are too big for it in the long run (Yes, I would say even the Yellow is too big in the long run), I'm not sure there is much I could recommend for it.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 63 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 21.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.8%
Back