keeping leopard wrasse

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DD/LA do honor a full 14 day on leopards; most other online vendors just guarantee live arrival. DD does not quarantine, this is a misnomer. They 'condition' such that all shipped fish are eating. Leopards will often come with internal worms, but they are on the low end for skin parasites. I've put them directly into my refugium before, but now that I have a sizable fish population in my DT, I QT them in as special tank just for tricky fish.

In terms of easier to harder, ornate ... meleagris ... lapillus ... black ... blue star ... potters ... choati. Never kept kuiters.

Brautumn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have 3 meleagris leopards going on a year and 2 ornate leopards going on six months. We got the 3 meleagris from live aquaria all small size and the 2 ornates from a friends store also small size. It took about 2 weeks for them to adjust fully to our lighting time.
I had no problems getting any of them to eat from day one and all stayed out right from the beginning. One of the meleagris is now transitioning to a male. We didn't have any problems with any of our other fish bothering them, even the other wrasses in the tanks. I think the smaller size leopards ship better and stress less.

OP
OP
badstorm48

badstorm48

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay so do y'all recommend getting them on the smaller size rather than medium or large? Yeah I make sure to read the fine print to make sure they are covered. I know nyaquatics has a list up that show what fish are only covered by dead on arrival and don't have a 14 day guarantee.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't noticed much correlation between size and survival - other than the really tiny ones (3/4" or less) do very poorly. I will only buy them from LA or at my LFS if I see them eating.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Avoid really small ones and large ones. The tiny ones are delicate, and the larger ones ship even worse.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 33 33.7%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 21 21.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 9.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 6.1%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 26 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.1%
Back