Keeping royal grammas together

Diveks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been thinking about getting royal grammas for my 210 tank since people suggested them. Although i am wondering how many i can keep, im thinking 2-4? Or will more of them spread the aggression? Also, im not sure what to do with them when they are in the quarantine, since in small spaces i know they can get quite aggressive with eachother. I have a few quarantine tanks, but im using one for some anthias. Should i just put them together or will they kill eachother?

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I having been thinking about trying this myself.
I was going to try 6 in my 233.
There was a thread recently that someone tried this and over a period of time ended up with only one.
But I've read other threads where people say it may be possible.

I think if you have alot of different hiding places in a quarantine tank it should work.

I'm interested to hear from others who have tried.

bacc2bacc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   1
As long as you have ample LiveRock and places to hide, I don’t see why not? Would be a very cool to have a couple pairs in a tank and even have them breed, that would be awesome

OP
OP
Diveks

Diveks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe ill go with two of them, i dont know what to do about the quarantine part though.

Jeff Jarry reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe ill go with two of them, i dont know what to do about the quarantine part though.
I bought mine from LivaAquaria and I didn't quarantine mine. I have bought all my fish from them. And never had a sick fish. I'm not saying don't quarantine fish it's just I don't because if more stress .
And I'm sure someone will
Not like how I do things but everyone has a different way of doing things.

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here ya go...... @norfolkgarden

U

User1

View Badges
Widen the search also to your favorite engine. There are a couple threads out there with people having 8 or 9+ in larger tanks. Those that I've read have had success provided the tank is mature and enough places to retreat to. Include harem with the search. I think @OrionN also has several, or has had a harem, before.

Something I've also been considering in my 210. It will either be a harem of royal grammas or odd number groups of damsels. I prefer the smaller fish.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I don't care what others say about quarantining fish, but I believe you need to.
There is so much disease running through fish wholesalers these days.
You can find used 20 gallon tanks all over the place.
A seeded sponge filter, a heater, small air pump, small powerhead and some pvc fittings for cover is all you really need.
I also use a small hang-on back filter in mine.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Two grammas in the same tank??

Here is what you can expect:

1568819412550.png
OR
1568819464866.png

Dsnakes

Knight Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kept a trio in my 125. I QTd them together and introduced together. They did just fine. Little squabbles and holding mouths open at each other from time to time but not issues at all. I say go for it in a tank that size. I believe odd numbers are best as with many things.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Lol - it may not be that bad. There are some doing it with royal grammas and even black caps and assessors. I was going to do yellow assessors but alas the price is a bit steep ;)
Yeah, I agree.
I've kept multiple black caps with little to no aggression.

Modest

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 5 gramma's in a 300 g tank. Just make sure they have enough hiding places and everything will probably be fine. They each will have their own territory.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a big enough tank with a large enough amount of rock/hiding places I think it could work. They are very territorial of their hiding place but not otherwise aggressive.

When I see them in their natural habitat it's not unusual to see large numbers in a small space but this is usually smaller juvie fish. With their cousin the Black Cap Basslet I rarely see large numbers of them together at any size/age.

Both of these pics were mainly juvies but as you can see there are a lot in a small area.

gramma (1 of 1).jpg

Gramma nursery.JPG

Last edited:

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
My plan ( if I do this) was to start with smalls, even though some of the " small " fish places like live aquaria are scary small.

OP
OP
Diveks

Diveks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kept a trio in my 125. I QTd them together and introduced together. They did just fine. Little squabbles and holding mouths open at each other from time to time but not issues at all. I say go for it in a tank that size. I believe odd numbers are best as with many things.
So three would be better than two?

Im going to start cycling the quarantine soon, i have another tank ready just in case something happens in the quarantine.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.3%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 28 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 43.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back