Keeping Tank Cycled Once Finished

Schraufabagel

aka Schrauf_den
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently cycling my live rock and live sand in a trash can. My question is, once the cycle is complete, do I have to periodically add Ammonia Chloride until I add livestock? I won't be adding any livestock until June once I have moved. And that's just adding them to the 20 gallon QT that I will have. After another month (in July), the 5 fish will be moved to my 25 gallon display tank. I will however add a clean up crew and inverts in June, so I don't know if that's enough to keep the bacteria population established.

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bacterial population should be fine as long as the rock stays submerged. Many suggest that the bacteria never really leave, but rather reduce in number or actually go dormant when food supplies are low. It wouldn't hurt to maybe toss in a pinch of pellet food maybe once a week or two, though.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.2%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 29 16.7%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 43.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back