Keeping Tank Cycled Once Finished

Schraufabagel

aka Schrauf_den
View Badges
Joined
Oct 29, 2020
Messages
2,215
Reaction score
8,522
Location
Madison, WI
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently cycling my live rock and live sand in a trash can. My question is, once the cycle is complete, do I have to periodically add Ammonia Chloride until I add livestock? I won't be adding any livestock until June once I have moved. And that's just adding them to the 20 gallon QT that I will have. After another month (in July), the 5 fish will be moved to my 25 gallon display tank. I will however add a clean up crew and inverts in June, so I don't know if that's enough to keep the bacteria population established.
 
The bacterial population should be fine as long as the rock stays submerged. Many suggest that the bacteria never really leave, but rather reduce in number or actually go dormant when food supplies are low. It wouldn't hurt to maybe toss in a pinch of pellet food maybe once a week or two, though.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 4.3%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 6.4%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 20 21.3%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 28 29.8%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 9.6%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 7 7.4%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 12 12.8%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 7 7.4%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new