Keeping Tank Cycled Once Finished

Schraufabagel

aka Schrauf_den
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently cycling my live rock and live sand in a trash can. My question is, once the cycle is complete, do I have to periodically add Ammonia Chloride until I add livestock? I won't be adding any livestock until June once I have moved. And that's just adding them to the 20 gallon QT that I will have. After another month (in July), the 5 fish will be moved to my 25 gallon display tank. I will however add a clean up crew and inverts in June, so I don't know if that's enough to keep the bacteria population established.

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently cycling my live rock and live sand in a trash can. My question is, once the cycle is complete, do I have to periodically add Ammonia Chloride until I add livestock? I won't be adding any livestock until June once I have moved. And that's just adding them to the 20 gallon QT that I will have. After another month (in July), the 5 fish will be moved to my 25 gallon display tank. I will however add a clean up crew and inverts in June, so I don't know if that's enough to keep the bacteria population established.
Nitrifiers can survive starvation for a long period of time, from a few weeks to a few months. With that said, given the duration of your delay, I would suggest adding ammonium chloride every two weeks or so, especially since you already have it on hand and well, you're not gonna use it for anything else probably right? XD Why waste fish food or whatever when you can just use the ammonium chloride. Might as well use it during this time. If you want to be super sure, every week would suffice too.

OP
OP
Schraufabagel

Schraufabagel

aka Schrauf_den
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrifiers can survive starvation for a long period of time, from a few weeks to a few months. With that said, given the duration of your delay, I would suggest adding ammonium chloride every two weeks or so, especially since you already have it on hand and well, you're not gonna use it for anything else probably right? XD Why waste fish food or whatever when you can just use the ammonium chloride. Might as well use it during this time. If you want to be super sure, every week would suffice too.
I'll plan on adding some of it every two weeks. Thank you!

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 32 59.3%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 14 25.9%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 9.3%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 1.9%
Back