Kenya tree propagation!

TWYOUNG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Solomon Hairy Leather which I believe is very similar to a Kenya Tree. It is constantly budding off branches which free float until they find a rock or power head to attach to. Is there a way these buds can be removed from rock without damage so I can attach them to plugs for resale or trade? I've successfully glued floaters to plugs so if I can detach them I could reattach them to a plug.

IMG_2374.jpeg

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't recommend gluing any soft coral, as they don't have a skeleton and attach themselves, plus it will probably just suffocate the base and cause the coral to die

Court_Appointed_Hypeman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glueing wont hurt it but doesn't work all the time in my experience.

I have kenya trees everywhere, can't find anyone that wants one. Seems like if I scrape them off they will return, they shrink up so small and I don't think I could ever get 100% of the tissue. Probably have to keep scraping them every so often until it dies.

OP
OP
T

TWYOUNG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't recommend gluing any soft coral, as they don't have a skeleton and attach themselves, plus it will probably just suffocate the base and cause the coral to die
Thanks but as stated I haven't had any difficulty gluing those I catch floating.

OP
OP
T

TWYOUNG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glueing wont hurt it but doesn't work all the time in my experience.

I have kenya trees everywhere, can't find anyone that wants one. Seems like if I scrape them off they will return, they shrink up so small and I don't think I could ever get 100% of the tissue. Probably have to keep scraping them every so often until it dies.
Hmmm, perhaps glue over whatever's left on the rocks?

OP
OP
T

TWYOUNG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Foam cup (or plastic mesh container) with LR rubble....throw them in there and they will attach to some rubble.....
What about transferring those which have already attached themselves to rockscape in the tank?

FUNGI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about transferring those which have already attached themselves to rockscape in the tank?

Cut at the base...as close as you can to the rock.(cut like a flower)....either whatever is left on the base will die....or, and chances are high, it will start growing again........

FUNGI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm trying to grow them but not where they are. I want to get them on a frag plugs.
Cut at the base...as close as you can to the rock.(cut like a flower)....either whatever is left on the base will die....or, and chances are high, it will start growing again........

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 114 58.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.2%
Back