Kessil A360X on 6ft 125

PinkyDinkyDoo

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 21, 2022
Messages
18
Reaction score
3
Location
Bowerston
What state or country do you live in
Ohio
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 125 gallon 6 ft long tank and am wondering if 3 Kessil A360X lights would be enough to start getting into corals?
 
Yeah I'd say so. I have an earlier version of this light and overall the color is good and the color blending are good. Can't beat that kessil shimmer, unless you go halide. The trade off for all that shimmer is that they produce light from a single point source and therefore you end up with a lot of shadows. Therefore, this setup would be less ideal for sps long term. I suggest that if you go with these, you add supplemental lighting -- either T5s or led light bars. That will help eliminate shadows.
 
Certainly enough to start, and depending on what you want to keep, could be enough to just stop there. Soft corals likely wouldn’t need any more than that. On a longer timeline sps corals will eventually start becoming a shading problem without more fill light
 
Awesome! Thanks for all of the input. Much appreciated
I just added a fifth kessil to my 71” tank. Four had plenty of coverage but in an effort to minimize shadowing, I’m going with a fifth. Contemplating adding a sixth down the road when my tank is covered with SPS. For now, I find five is a little overkill for my frags. Nothing wrong with planning ahead though.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 7 25.9%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 4 14.8%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 6 22.2%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 2 7.4%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 2 7.4%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 6 22.2%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new