Kessil AP700 Fan Problem - Replacement fan or Fix???

Drew Fitzgerald

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I have 2 Kessil AP700's over my tank. Both are out of warranty.

One of them has started making an annoying sound almost like a fast ticking noise, I noticed that the fan is also weaker compared to the other one when I place my hand above it.
I emailed Kessil regarding this and they suggested I open up the unit and give it a good clean. I have done that but it still makes a noise.

I feel the fan is on it's way out and needs replacing. Again, I discussed this with Kessil but they state that the unit is a"sealed unit" and the fans can not be replaced! Instead of offering to service or fix unit they offered me a new one for £700+!?!?!?!?!
As you can understand I would much rather pay a few pounds to replace a fan than a lot of Pounds to replace a whole light fitting.

So....Has anyone managed to replace a noisy Kessil Ap700 fan or managed to fix one?

OP
OP
Drew Fitzgerald

Drew Fitzgerald

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

One of them has started making an annoying sound almost like a fast ticking noise, I noticed that the fan is also weaker compared to the other one when I place my hand above it.
I emailed Kessil regarding this and they suggested I open up the unit and give it a good clean. I have done that but it still makes a noise.

I feel the fan is on it's way out and needs replacing. Again, I discussed this with Kessil but they state that the unit is a"sealed unit" and the fans can not be replaced! Instead of offering to service or fix unit they offered me a new one for £700+!?!?!?!?!
As you can understand I would much rather pay a few pounds to replace a fan than a lot of Pounds to replace a whole light fitting.

So....Has anyone managed to replace a noisy Kessil Ap700 fan or managed to fix one?
So, the fan has finally died!!
Anybody managed to replace one?

Jay Z

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lot of companies claim something is sealed and cannot be serviced. Honestly i've never run across a item that couldn't be serviced.

I remember when sealed headlights were un serviceable, until some guy put one in a over at 250 for 30 minutes, glue came right a part and it allowed the halo craze to take off before they started manufacturing those lights for after market.

Long as you can get it open and get the fan out, you shouldn't have any issues replacing it. Its going to be a generic computer fan of some kind. Don't think kessil manufactured some special fan on there own. Also don't expect much "free" help from them.

I've seen 360 fans replaced, never seen a 700 done yet.

You could always try a local computer shop or tech shop at college or high school. They like real world projects like this.

luanluan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also encountered the same problem, I hope to see the installation tutorial! This LED is produced in China TaiWan.

OP
OP
Drew Fitzgerald

Drew Fitzgerald

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I managed to get running again using a bit of WD40! Not the best advice but it's working. I will try a more permanent fix and try and take a few pic's along the way.

Paul magoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have 3 kessel Ap700 same thing i cleaned and sprayed with wd40 back working now

OP
OP
Drew Fitzgerald

Drew Fitzgerald

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
** Broken Kessil AP700 Fan not spinning Update **

Previously, I wrote that I actually have 3 Kessil AP700's. Two out of the Three have the same issues.

It started when the lights started making a humming / ticking noise.

After inspecting the unit I noticed the fan was spinning very weakly and not blowing out much air.
Eventually, the fan would just stop. This made the light switch off because it was overheating.
After searching for advice online, it appears to be a common issue with these lights.

Now, before people jump in and say "did I try using compressed air to blow out the dust" or "have I tried using WD40" or even "take the unit apart and give it a really good clean"...Yes, I did all of this and maybe it helped for a while but a few weeks later the same issue would happen again.

Clearly, the fan needed to be replaced.

I reached out to Kessil and they explained that the fans could not, in fact, be replaced!! They also explained that as the lights were also no longer under warranty, I would need to replace the whole unit...Sorry, both units!!

For such an expensive light I was shocked that a light unit, that retails for £800-£900 would need replacing because a £20 fan stopped spinning?

Anyway, I was not about to bin the lights due to a fan problem, and seeing I am not a tech-savvy guy, I reached out to a computer company here in Guernsey to see if they could help to fix them.

The guy came around and looked at one of the lights and could not see a problem replacing the fan and took one of them away with him to see if he could find a solution.

Today Sam (the guy that said he might be able to replace the fans) returned the dead Kessil AP700 that had a broken/burnt-out fan.

The good news is, he did manage to replace the fan and the once dead AP700 is back up and running. What is even better, the new fan he used to replace the broken one with, actually runs the lights cooler and is very quite. So, it's even better than it was before!!

I am glad I did not poke around the unit myself as he mentioned that it was not that straightforward to get the old fan out and he also needed to micro-solder some wires and then coat them with a waterproof solution... all sounds far too "fiddly" for me.

Sam kindly documented the process for me.
Sadly, It's in a word document which I can't see how to post it here.
If anyone knows how to do it, let me know and I happily post it if it helps.

If you are having or have a having or have a dead Kessil AP700 I would strongly recommend reaching out to Sam.

If you want to reach out to Sam (the man) his company is called https://techy.gg/

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.1%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.3%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 69 41.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%

Back