Kessil ap700 vs A360we

Reef_Junkies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm debating on whether to keep my (3) kessil a360we in favor for (1) kessil ap700. My 360's work great and I love everything about them, but I just love the sleek simple design of the new 700 and its new added features. My only drawback from pulling the trigger on it is that I have a 5 ft tank and the ap700 maxes out at approximately 4 ft. I don't have any high light intensity corals at the moment but I'd like to be prepared when I do. Maybe keeping my future SPS corals within the 4 ft light area and the low light corals on the outer low light areas?

I guess what I'm really asking is, is the ap700 worth upgrading to over my current set up of (3) a360we ? Has anyone upgraded here from the a360 to the 700 and been completely satisfied?

Thanks!

chaoha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I to am intrigued with the 700. I'm running 2 a360we on a 75 and am very happy. Can you move the 360s to the other tank and put the 700 on this one?
I'd like to switch but I bought my lights in March so it would be hard to justify spending on an upgrade at this point

OP
OP
Reef_Junkies

Reef_Junkies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the responses guys! I'll scope it out a little closer at Reef-A-Palooza this weekend and make a decision. My hope is that Kessil releases a longer version soon.

ermartin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm guessing there would be no way to use the 700 as a single fixture on your 5 foot tank. Kessil has always been my light of choice ever since the 150's came out way back when.. the only negative I can say about them is the estimated spread they advertise. the A360we is supposed to have a 24inch spread but realistically id say its 20ish at the most. I mean sure 24 on a tank full of water but no rock but once you put a few obstructions in there the ends are full of shadowing and dimm I think its 20ish at best.
I see they advertise the 700 good for up to a 4 foot tank. I purchased 2 360's for my 4 foot tank and was highly disappointed in the coverage I would have had to purchase another fixture to get proper coverage and that wasn't going to happen. I put the fixtures on my 3 foot tank and i will say they are perfect. I think for a 5 foot tank your going to need 1.5 of the 700 fixtures. I would stick with what you have or plan on buying 2 of the 700's

OP
OP
Reef_Junkies

Reef_Junkies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm guessing there would be no way to use the 700 as a single fixture on your 5 foot tank. Kessil has always been my light of choice ever since the 150's came out way back when.. the only negative I can say about them is the estimated spread they advertise. the A360we is supposed to have a 24inch spread but realistically id say its 20ish at the most. I mean sure 24 on a tank full of water but no rock but once you put a few obstructions in there the ends are full of shadowing and dimm I think its 20ish at best.
I see they advertise the 700 good for up to a 4 foot tank. I purchased 2 360's for my 4 foot tank and was highly disappointed in the coverage I would have had to purchase another fixture to get proper coverage and that wasn't going to happen. I put the fixtures on my 3 foot tank and i will say they are perfect. I think for a 5 foot tank your going to need 1.5 of the 700 fixtures. I would stick with what you have or plan on buying 2 of the 700's

That's what I was thinking as well... I get perfect coverage over my 5 ft tank with the 360s and my rockswork is pretty minimal. The only thing I don't like about my current set up is the wire management... which is really an eyesore.

IronVulture

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I pre ordered one of the 700's for my new build it should be here tomorrow and I'm already thinking I might have to add a second one for full coverage on a 4x2x2. I will of course wait until I see what it really looks like in person. I'm also contemplating adding t5 to my canopy in which case I won't need two.

OP
OP
Reef_Junkies

Reef_Junkies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I pre ordered one of the 700's for my new build it should be here tomorrow and I'm already thinking I might have to add a second one for full coverage on a 4x2x2. I will of course wait until I see what it really looks like in person. I'm also contemplating adding t5 to my canopy in which case I won't need two.

Please update us on your thoughts when you get the 700 all set up and running :)

Ladysaber

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will NEVER go back to Radions. I love the AP700s.

I currently have 2 of them over my 90g. I have a mixture of LPS, softies, and only have one SPS (testing it out). I also have a maxima and a few rainbow haddonis. The spread on these lights is amazing!

Few things.. Keep the lights low once programmed. My lights are sitting at 40%. Anything else, and you'll fry your corals.

You must have iOS 8 or higher in order for the programming to work. Why they haven't released it yet for iPhone is beyond me, but it will only work via iPad (regular, air, and mini).

Programming can be difficult. When in doubt, call or email them about it. I'm still having issues with them being programmed. It's either my issue or it's the lights. Either way, I was told today that they are in the process of making a very large in-depth article about programming the lights.

As for the hanging kit, I wasn't impressed. I currently have the lights hanging in my canopy and I've used plastic zip ties to secure them to my existing metal hooks that were used with my Radions. I did discover that the canopy kit uses a thin plastic bracket which has my extremely worried about it weakening and then sending the light into the tank.

Is it worth the money? Yes! Don't hesitate to buy it.

IronVulture

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will NEVER go back to Radions. I love the AP700s.

I currently have 2 of them over my 90g. I have a mixture of LPS, softies, and only have one SPS (testing it out). I also have a maxima and a few rainbow haddonis. The spread on these lights is amazing!

Few things.. Keep the lights low once programmed. My lights are sitting at 40%. Anything else, and you'll fry your corals.

You must have iOS 8 or higher in order for the programming to work. Why they haven't released it yet for iPhone is beyond me, but it will only work via iPad (regular, air, and mini).

Programming can be difficult. When in doubt, call or email them about it. I'm still having issues with them being programmed. It's either my issue or it's the lights. Either way, I was told today that they are in the process of making a very large in-depth article about programming the lights.

As for the hanging kit, I wasn't impressed. I currently have the lights hanging in my canopy and I've used plastic zip ties to secure them to my existing metal hooks that were used with my Radions. I did discover that the canopy kit uses a thin plastic bracket which has my extremely worried about it weakening and then sending the light into the tank.

Is it worth the money? Yes! Don't hesitate to buy it.
You have two on your 90, how long is it? You don't think one was enough?

Ladysaber

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a typical 90g.. 48 inches long.

One might have worked, but I was moving on from Radion Pros (that was a huge waste of my money and time). Sigh.

Ambrose Solson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The new ap700 are really awesome light for sure.
I'm planning to upgrade my lighting in the near future.
But 1000$ for the ap700 and it only covers 4ft...come on kessil.
every single time we get a new fixture from you guys it's more and more expensive.
a360we are 350-400
The fixture only covers 4ft
why is it over 1000$ for 4ft of coverage
that's 150$ more per 2ft of coverage
great light....but the cost doesn't make it worth it.
you can buy 3 a360we for 1000$
that covers 6ft
Enough said

OP
OP
Reef_Junkies

Reef_Junkies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The new ap700 are really awesome light for sure.
I'm planning to upgrade my lighting in the near future.
But 1000$ for the ap700 and it only covers 4ft...come on kessil.
every single time we get a new fixture from you guys it's more and more expensive.
a360we are 350-400
The fixture only covers 4ft
why is it over 1000$ for 4ft of coverage
that's 150$ more per 2ft of coverage
great light....but the cost doesn't make it worth it.
you can buy 3 a360we for 1000$
that covers 6ft
Enough said

It's on sale at BulkReefSupply for $895.... but who's counting at that point. I think the ap700's price is somewhat justifiable. Considering (2) brand new A360we's is about $830 after taxes. The ap700 does have extra added features as well including the full color spectrum, moonlighting etc..

OP
OP
Reef_Junkies

Reef_Junkies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And who could ignore the beautiful design of the 700. It's sleek and best of all, 1 wire/ballast for 2 bulbs which helps manage wire clutter.

Ambrose Solson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know....I know
dang u kessil for making such awesome reef lights.
Why aren't they Making these in single fixtures yet.
People would buy them up
Less cords....yes it's nice.
2 fixtures in 1 light kills me
I have 6ft 125 gal tank
What would I do with the other 2ft that's not lit up properly?
Put an a360we over there
That would look weird to me
Ruin the sleek look

Ladysaber

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is extremely sleek and they put out more PAR than the Radions.

That being said, programming is a real PITA, and I've about had it with the lights not syncing up with each other. I love Kessil and fully believe in their products, but I'm about to go back to the Radions and the ReefLink..

I've never had so many issues with a light programming like I have had with these.

If Franco from Kessil gets back in touch with me today, I may just be a bit happier, if he can get the programming fixed.

Grrrrrrrr...

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 51.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 6 19.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 8 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 3.2%
Back