KH Director problems

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Jubei2006

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Posted this in the general equipment thread and got no real response, so placing it here in hopes of ideas.

So I purchased a second hand KH director, it seems to be working fine except for my KH readings are off from the manual tests I have been using. I changed the lines out, have calibrated the pump head 3 times, just recently changed the KH pH probe and followed the calibration procedure twice and checked with the 4 and 7 pH solution after, and measured the lines properly from the sump. I have primed the lines and made sure there are no air bubbles, and used the KH 7.5 reference solution to ensure the reading should be accurate (my KH director read 7.7 on the 7.5 reference). The problem I'm having is that my KH director is reading almost 1.5dKH difference from the readings of a manual Red Sea alkalinity test (I have used two different lots of the KH titration solution both were within 0.5dKH of each other). My Red Sea test was last at 8.7 and the KH director was reading 10.0. If the 10dKH is right I'm fine with that. Was aiming for 9.0. If it's wrong, then my KH is less than NSW if I let it drop.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you use Read Sea test on your KH reference - what do you read in that case`? I would use this feature (red marking) for calibrating the KH director if the KH director give you stable readings.

1665084806333.png

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
Jubei2006

Jubei2006

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the Red Sea test came in at 8.7 dKH, the KH director reads 10. I guess I don't want to artificially lower the KH director if it's a true reading (it was within 0.2dKH of the reference solution)? I did mix up some new saltwater for a water change today. So I guess I'll use both the Red Sea test and the KH director to see if they are close to the bag stated measurements or not. Thanks, I'll keep the post updated.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you use your red sea test to analyse your reference solution - you will have all your answers. IF you are sure on your reference solution - adjust your KH director to show 7.5 and you should be able to trust it.

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
Jubei2006

Jubei2006

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have thought about that, but the reference solution is blue, just like the start color of the red sea test, so dont know how easy it'll be to see the quick color change to a green. I'll give it a go tomorrow. Thanks!

OP
OP
Jubei2006

Jubei2006

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was able to see the color change with the red sea. It was about 1dkh off. So I guess the KH director is correct. Guess I'll play is safe and back the KH director down 5% and continue readings from there. Luckily with either test the tank only varies 0.1 to 0.3dKH per day.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 18.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 14 16.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 46 52.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 9.2%
Back