Killer Chromis

PeterEde

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I started with 3 Chromis to establish my tank. Bad idea?
As the first fish 1 is now a dominant fish.
I have added a Chocolate Goby and 2 Clowns.
Last week I added a yellowfin Fairy Wrasse.

This poor fish had to be removed from the tank due to mainly one Chromis harassing it.
Hopefully he's going to be ok and I can maybe swap it with the LFS for credit or another fish/coral.

But I don't feel I'd be doing him justice if I tried putting him back.|

So much for the quiet Chromis

czoolander

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well they are known to be killers that is for sure. There are many examples of this happening with Chromis.

My personal experience I started with 4 . Two were bullied to death in short order 1-2 months into the display and the third almost died but I pulled it out in QT and it recovered and readded back to display . I had 2 remaining that seemed to get along for months im thinking male female but I don't know how to tell apart one is clearly larger . Then for no reason the larger one started attacking the smaller one again . ( maybe it had a sickness) who knows it got really bad fin damage from the attacks. I tried to capture the injured chromis but I couldn't get it or the attacker. To many rocks and hiding spaces. The many caves and rocks allowed the smaller chromis to survive and heal. Took a week for the fins to recover and I guess the bigger fish lost interest in murdering him. They now get along again and both in good health

My conclusion. Chromis are jerks. I would never purchase one again in groups.

BanjoBandito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never been a fan of cycling a tank with chromis, mainly because they think the whole tank is theirs and you are just reinforcing them being bullies. Sometimes using a "jail cell" (breeder box) in the tank with them locked inside for a couple days will get them to calm down, but they are lil' sh*ts in my experience.

Duncan62

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This poor fish had to be removed from the tank due to mainly one Chromis harassing it.
Hopefully he's going to be ok and I can maybe swap it with the LFS for credit or another fish/coral.

Bossy fish. I have one that has taken over.

OP
OP
PeterEde

PeterEde

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yep. That will be my advice in future. Add Chromis later, not first.
Thankful the Wrasse lived through the night and feeding this morning.
It was laying on it's side for quite a while and the injury looks to have healed up already over night

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If you want the wrasse more than the chromes I recommend taking out the aggressor - If you do this it will mean you can have more fish and not just a giant bully with 2 or so other fish.
Also, how big is the tank? If it’s 4’ you could get a more aggressive fish to throw the chromis in its place (if you don’t get what I mean, I’m hinting to a Ctenochaetus tang - Not a chevron or a striated - or something similar in aggression).

OP
OP
PeterEde

PeterEde

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want the wrasse more than the chromes I recommend taking out the aggressor - If you do this it will mean you can have more fish and not just a giant bully with 2 or so other fish.
Also, how big is the tank? If it’s 4’ you could get a more aggressive fish to throw the chromis in its place (if you don’t get what I mean, I’m hinting to a Ctenochaetus tang - Not a chevron or a striated - or something similar in aggression).
Only a 30 gal tank.
Was thinking of exiling the Chromis.
Will see after input the wrasse back in how it goes.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 73 29.6%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 72 29.1%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 52 21.1%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 48 19.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.8%
Back