Kingfisherfleshy's 125g Mixed Reef

kingfisherfleshy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, here it is, fish stocking should be complete in a month...working on getting everything settled filtration and h2o quality wise before adding any new corals...what you see now is all stuff salvaged from my 75g that I sold.

Custom stand and canopy built by yours truely.

Let me know...eager to get this thing to ROTM status. :D

YouTube - Fleshy's 125g Mixed Reef 3/28/11

OP
OP
kingfisherfleshy

kingfisherfleshy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone, this thread has been kinda bare, and I think its partially because there are no tank details or story.

Well, here is the story, and then later for the details.

A football coach had a 125g, and knew that I keep corals as well.

He had to move with his coaching job, and when he left he offered me his huge snake. I said I couldnt, but would take his tank.

The tank had already been promised to his cousin. This past summer, his cousin decided to move, and the tank was getting run down, and he just didnt want to bring it with him.

It was softies and hair algae mainly, plus a DSB that was a grade a nitrate factory.

Lighting was all pc...and one 150 MH.

Filtration was two hob CPR skimmers

Two MJ 1200's for flow and a couple assorted heaters.

This has in the past year all been changed to:

Filtration

Overflow is the CPR 1200gph one
1x 55g sump
1x AquaC EV400 skimmer (Driven by a mag12...will be upgrading to a mag18 when finances allow)
1x Mag 12 return...want to upgrade this to an 18...but finances will not be allowing this for awhile.
1x Ebo 250w Heater
1x Avast Marine Reactor...again...the pump is too small...will be upgrading
Chaeto ball...which I dont think is doing anything with vodka/vinegar/purigen action going on
1x Tetra air pump (largest one they make)
I also run a filter sock on this tank.
2x Koralia Mag 6's for flow

Lighting

2x 160w VHO @ 4300nm UV "Super Atinic"
2x 150w MH @ 14k ... crappy fish need it bulbs ... going to go with ushio 14k's or more likely ushio 20k's... upgrading this winter (will replace all bulbs at that time)

Stocking (Non Coral)

1 Majestic Angel
1 Purple Tang
1 Blue Tang
1 Tomini Tang
1 Pair ORA Extreme misbar clowns
1 Pair Clarkii Clowns
1 Mystery Wrasse
1 Midas Blenny
1 Melanarus wrasse
1 Scarlet Skunk Cleaner Shrimp (Have added a second several times, they even hang out together but now after losing two I dont know what I am doing wrong)
4 Sub-species Lyretail Anthias
Mix of Turbo, Astrea, and Blue leg hermit crabs for CUC

I dont have much in the way of corals...just some stuff I liked that I brought from the 75g when I sold it off, and a couple frags here and there from some swaps I have been to. Always like to get the whole stock in, and get filtration and h2o quality nailed down before you go adding most of the corals...stability is key.

Corals

1 Toadstool Leather
1 Green slimer
1 GARF Bonsai
1 ORA Pink Lemonade
1 acan colony
1 elegance head bought at the last Rhinelander Swap
1 pink/green torch coral
1 green duncan
Colony of purple/green rhodactis
1 orange purple plate coral - basically farming this for the angel fish to eat it feels like
1 Superman chalice 2 eyes (6/26/11)
1 Watermelon chalice leaving soon
1 "blue" turbinaria...this is also new, looks like it is going to be "gray" in my tank
1 BTA...2 or 3 colors to it...also new from yesterday. Floating now in a DIY acclimation box with the ORA extreme misbars...looking good still has bubble tips etc.
1 hollywood stunner chalice with a ton of eyes...
1 Dragonsoul Favia...need to get a rock for this thing to crust over
1 green favia...huge
1 Appleberry Danae Rock...pretty cool
1 small colony of Dragon eye zoas
1 Lobo...green and orange under atinics...brown for the rest of the day

I have a red goni, a rainbow monti, an blue/red blasto, and a red/green war coral coming in Thursday as well.

Looking For...

Other crazy favias
BPC Flamethrower chalice...Red Watermelon chalice...(pending if I ever get the superman to grow...you would think that daily feedings would have them cruising...no such luck)
Lakers Turbinaria
Purple Cap Monti
Blue Tort
Red Mille
Blue Mille
Purple Slimer
Rainbow Stylo
Scoly
Acan colonies

OP
OP
kingfisherfleshy

kingfisherfleshy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately no...my camera is pretty lousy these days...used to be able to take good macro pictures, and now I cant get anything to focus...fish are completely out of the question, they move to fast even in action mode...again...I didnt used to have this problem, dont really know what happened.

Sorry...I live out in terrible internet land as well.

Hello from Stevens Point area as well.

OP
OP
kingfisherfleshy

kingfisherfleshy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Video/feeding video bump coming this weekend...have added a lot of corals, and potentially 4-5 pj cardinal fish by the time this next video comes out - dont worry some other fish left.

Thanks

OP
OP
kingfisherfleshy

kingfisherfleshy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys - Sorry I never got that video up.

My sister is home with her HD Flip - so hopefully I will finally get those videos up.

I have been procrastinating cause I just cant seem to get everything right.

At any rate - since I last posted, somethings have changed, and I have picked some stuff up.

Upgraded my lights to 2x 250w MH (hamilton 14k's) (Vho is still the same)
Got a BRS pH up triple part dosing kit.
Built a DIY BRS dual reactor with a slight modification - and it doesnt really work.

As far as livestock - for xmas I made off alright.

I pulled:

Small acan colony (toasted by angel going to a friend)
Triple scoly. Its a warpaint, but has green...and oh wait...there are three of them on the rock
Trach Brain - totally awesome. Its like four colors. Only problem is it looks like it is going to die on me. Not sure why I cant keep these but now its in the lowest flow, lowest light, lowest traffic area of the tank. Its still a little slimy so lets hope that she recovers.

Fish wise:
Green wrasse
Kauderns cardinal
Yellow and purple wrasse
Convict blenny
Chevron tang
Blotched anthias

Needless to say I am done stocking fish.

Flow was also upgrade by four of the Evolution 1400 koralias added on, and the addition of the koralia smart wave - which for the price is a pretty awesome product, and I am VERY happy with my flow. The two mag 6's by themselves used to be too much. Now I have more than twice that much flow in powerheads, no one is stressed, and almost all PE is better than it was before. Only issues is that even the Evo powerheads will click when thy change directions.

Well guys - Ill be posting back if I finally get around to those videos. (Whole tank and feeding)

Thanks again.

OP
OP
kingfisherfleshy

kingfisherfleshy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally after the long wait...here is the video bump.

I have a feeding video as well, but I need to put it all together. Its not as frenzied as it usually is, but the fish were unused to where I was standing as I had to stand to one side so that my brother could film it.

Heres the newest video! Thanks for watching and liking. Fleshy's 125g Mixed Reef (12-27-11) - YouTube

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good, it looks like you have the same type of red algae growing on your rocks as I have in my tank. I have never gotten a good ID on it other than Coraline but it just doesn't seem like Coraline to me. Does yours turn orange when you stress it by covering it up?

OP
OP
kingfisherfleshy

kingfisherfleshy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm - I havent noticed that, but I would say that it isnt coraline. It is definitely slightly furry, as it gets stuff caught in it. Its not a bad look, and it doesnt hurt anything, but I wish I had more coraline.

My tank is slowly coming together on a college budget - obviously there is still a large chunk of change to be dropped on corals, but other than that and time to grow the fish and everything else out it looks like Im set.

Some stuff Im looking to add:

Australomussa
Black Sun Coral
Another acan colony
Another favia
Bleeding apple scoly
Xenia clump front and center - yes I have had tank takeovers before, but I think it would look super cool in the flow there.
Yellow Polyps
High end zoas
Lakers Turbinaria
Purple plate monti
Battle Stag (of battlecorals)
montipora spongeodes
galaxea
I have an "appleberry monti" - there is a purple version, I would like that
Cyphastrea - have one, its green, was supposed to be blue and red
Whatever else I can lay my hands on and get as many frags in as possible before stuff starts to fill out too much!

Im getting small clumps of hair algae - with a blenny and a chevron tang. Dont know why. I also vodka dose...Im going to have to start testing for nitrates again, but it seems strange.

OP
OP
kingfisherfleshy

kingfisherfleshy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good looking tank. Nice additions since the first vid. Nice collection of fish! Keep it up.

Thanks - its a work in progress, we need more WI frag swaps! Im also dying to lay my hands on a gold torch coral.

As far as the fish go, Im a fish biologist in training, so really having the reef is just the most interesting way for me to display my fish collection. Im happy with it.

very nice looking tank

Thanks man, I appreciate it. She will be looking better once I take some time to sit down and get my GFO running again. No more ugly brown patches on the substrate!

OP
OP
kingfisherfleshy

kingfisherfleshy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone local with frags of anything Im looking for?

Any cool coral or invert ideas guys? I have tried a couple times to get a "pair" of cleaners, which shouldnt be hard, but for some reason the one I add always dies off. Longest has been a little under two months.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 74 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 71 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back