Knocked off hammer head

Chuk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my dumb butt knocked down my hammer coral when I was cleaning the sand bed during my water change this morning. I went to glue it back onto the rock with superglue and when I was maneuvering the coral to get the plug to stick the polyp popped off the skeleton. I wasn’t even touching it. Everything in my tank is fine and I’m sure this isn’t a water quality thing since it was A ok yesterday and my fat meat mitt was on it at the time. Is there any way to reattach the polyp or is my best bet now to leave the skeleton in the tank and hope a new head sprouts from some flesh I can’t see.
I attached a pic from yesterday and now

ADE4DDB0-5553-43F2-8A82-AB457FD28178.jpeg 0F3EF9E8-874F-43C7-BBE1-8D603A7F198F.jpeg EFDE532E-A8C3-446B-A890-A4CF03E98661.jpeg

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I doubt the skeleton will start a new head... but I'd certainly give it a chance to try!

Do you have the polyp that popped out? It could very well survive and start a new skeleton.

OP
OP
Chuk

Chuk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I doubt the skeleton will start a new head... but I'd certainly give it a chance to try!

Do you have the polyp that popped out? It could very well survive and start a new skeleton.
I do have that in a Tupperware container. You think leaving that in the tank could work?

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it could. I'd try to keep it in the tank and inside something that will hold it in place and still allow water to flow through. Like a fine mesh net. That way it won't get washed away or carried off by anybody in the tank and you'll always know where it is.

OP
OP
Chuk

Chuk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it could. I'd try to keep it in the tank and inside something that will hold it in place and still allow water to flow through. Like a fine mesh net. That way it won't get washed away or carried off by anybody in the tank and you'll always know where it is.
I’ll give it a shot. Thanks

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck.

And I'd like to know how it turns out, either way.

OP
OP
Chuk

Chuk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow you somehow forced a polyp bailout
Yep lucky me, the things been in there 6 months and at least doubled in size. New rule in the house, my big ole mitts stay off the corals. The wife attaches them only from now on.

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chuk, it sure looks OK in there. I assume that Tupperware is inside your tank?

I wouldn't be a bit surprised if it survives and starts a new skeleton.

OP
OP
Chuk

Chuk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chuk, it sure looks OK in there. I assume that Tupperware is inside your tank?

I wouldn't be a bit surprised if it survives and starts a new skeleton.
Yea I poked some holes in it and I ended up putting some mesh screen top material over it because later in the afternoon the current carried it out of the container. I also put it in the corner to get it in a lower flow area of the tank to try and stop it from floating around too much.

Hopefully it survives and builds as new one but I don't want to get my hopes up. Unfortunately when I make mistakes in reefing things tend to die so my track record is not with me on this one.

OP
OP
Chuk

Chuk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not looking so good today. I’m thinking it’s toast. It looks like it flipped over somehow which definitely isn’t helping.

image.jpg

OP
OP
Chuk

Chuk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still hanging in there. We moved is back toward the center of the tank which is a higher light / higher flow area.

Still a chance.

FEB9EC00-4DAA-45F0-9DEE-B4D9F6120BA6.jpeg

OP
OP
Chuk

Chuk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it’s still hanging in there. Still inflated. It tends to go for a bit of a ride when the pumps ramp up as you can see in the picture but it doesn’t seem to bother it.

E96A1D1A-DB3D-4AED-B38C-D88C4D361E0F.jpeg

OP
OP
Chuk

Chuk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been battling some growth stall and 0 alk usage in my tank for the past few weeks so I can’t really tell from the alk/ Ca numbers if it’s laying down anything. I’m thinking about picking up a pH meter to see if low pH is my problem but based on my balances alk and Ca numbers it should be right around 8.2.
All the hard corals besides my Duncan in the tank show great poly extension but haven’t been growing as far as I can tell. The Duncan is still popping off new heads.
All I can tell so far is it still inflates to about it’s pervious attached size every day and when the powerheads ramp up during the day it tumbles around in its little cage.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 49 55.7%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 26 29.5%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 8.0%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.4%
Back