Kole tang freaking out

poojan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so Ive noticed that as soon as my lights switch to night mode my kole tamg flips out and darts around for a second before promptly returning to normal. Ive heard that this is a behavior associated with asserting dominance and that he may be seeing his reflection, is this true? Any idea if the lights are causing him problems and what can I do to help him out. Note he dosent do it if the lights cut to black to at the end of the night mode when the lighs shut off. Id be grateful for any knowledge you guys may be able to give. Ive had him for about two months just go the lights about five days ago. The water parameters have been checked and theres no detectable amonia or nitrite, and nitrate just a bit above 20 ppm and I’m planning on doing a water change tomorrow.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Give the tang some time and he will calm down. To prevent stress dose some vitamin C or a multi vitamin.

Sierra_Bravo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I take it your lights don't have a way to dim down gradually? Does your aquascape have sufficient areas for him to hide/take shelter?

I think it's more a reaction to the sudden change in light levels than a reflection. Generally when mine have seen their reflection they posture at the glass. I would agree with jsker above - give it some time to adjust to your new lights.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that it is a reaction to the light going off because it has startled him. He will adjust.

Carterfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that it is a reaction to the light going off because it has startled him. He will adjust.

+1

How do you react when the power goes out and everything turns dark? Saying that, It should get over it soon. If not maybe look into lights that gradually dim and trade back in your new lights. The gradual dim is more natural for them.

OP
OP
poojan

poojan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1

How do you react when the power goes out and everything turns dark? Saying that, It should get over it soon. If not maybe look into lights that gradually dim and trade back in your new lights. The gradual dim is more natural for them.
True In hind sight pretty obvious but I wasn’t sure my first time keeping marine fish I’ve kept fresh water fish, they never seemed to have a problem with the lights switching. So I was really concerned that he was having a secondary issue. Good to know I’ll make sure to look into lights which can dim and fade.

Daniel Waters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
True In hind sight pretty obvious but I wasn’t sure my first time keeping marine fish I’ve kept fresh water fish, they never seemed to have a problem with the lights switching. So I was really concerned that he was having a secondary issue. Good to know I’ll make sure to look into lights which can dim and fade.
I've had some tangs that get very active and more aggressive / assertive as my lights fade down the last 15 minutes or so before they cut off. So even if you do use dimmers, the behavior may continue. Nothing to be concerned about though.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 40.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back