valentini puffer doing backflips

Charles2465

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,hope someone can help with a dilemma here. I have a relatively new addition to my tank he has been here about 3 weeks- 1 month. Last night I switched the lights off a little early because I figured he was making himself look big because he was seeing his reflection due to there being a dark room, not puffing up but extending his sort of skin flaps. Last night I heard one of the fish banging around the tank, not uncommon for one to get a fright every now and again. Though this time it was not stopping I switched on the lights and my valentini puffer was going absolutely ballistic, back flips, circles, darting like his life depends on it. I really don't know what the cause of it is, google search suggests high ammonia but mine came to 0 and this was not a surprise because I was doing weekly water changes. My Nitrites were also 0. I really am scared because he also gets scared and darts frantically in the tank for no reason. No fish chases or looks for trouble with him, all fins are prestine. I've now switched the light on and left it after he would not calm down and he has resulted to hiding after doing a few additional fits. Luckily it was morning.

If anyone can help it will be much appreciated.

CJ

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Likely a buoyancy issue and sign of distress
What are your test readings , age of tank, salinity and type of water used (tap water from the faucet or RODI water)

OP
OP
Charles2465

Charles2465

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Nitrite and Ammonia was zero.
My tank is about 3 years of age. Water used is filterd water that comes from the ocean. Salinity 1.022

I believe the problem arised from the pet shop because he was a new addition. I have bought fish from that shop before only to have it die days later for no apparent reason.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back