Kole Tang not eating?

MTsquared

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Kole Tang that came from a very reputable fish reseller that QT fish. They told me they would feed a mixture of brine and mysis as well as seaweed sheets. The Kole seems very timid and when its feeding time he just hides and doesn't participate in the feeding with the other fish. I have tried the following foods for him with no luck: brine, mysis, PE Mysis flakes, pellets, seaweed sheets. Thankfully he has been in the tank several weeks and is not showing signs of getting skinny as he does pick at the rocks and glass - however, I don't want to run into a situation down the road. Any help or tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just keep at it. You're trying all the right foods. They sometimes aren't the best eaters.

Hopefully it's in a biggish and mature tank with plenty of algae to graze on.

OP
OP
M

MTsquared

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just keep at it. You're trying all the right foods. They sometimes aren't the best eaters.

Hopefully it's in a biggish and mature tank with plenty of algae to graze on.
Thanks, the tank is about 6mo old but a decent amount of the rock came from my previous tank which was running for about 4yrs. He seems to be ok, like I said not getting skinny yet. Will continue to keep trying and hopefully one day it just clicks.
Where in Central NE? I'm in KC area but would often travel to Omaha and Lincoln for work pre-Covid. Couple of good LFS in Omaha I would stop in on when in town.

zachj7

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine did the same thing. After a couple weeks he was no longer shy at all at feeding time, eats the mysis like crazy and the a little of the seaweed sheets. But def my most active tang at eating off the rocks and glass.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where in Central NE? I'm in KC area but would often travel to Omaha and Lincoln for work pre-Covid. Couple of good LFS in Omaha I would stop in on when in town.

Southwest of Kearney, so about 2 hours west of Lincoln or 2 1/2 to 3 West of Omaha. Nebraska Aquatic, Fish Freaks, and Rivers and Reefs (used to be Aquapets) in Omaha are all good places. West of there between Omaha and Denver, there isn't much for salt besides a Petco or two. Tough hobby to be in out here. :eek: I would like to get to Kansas City more often, but I have little kids...and of course the pandemic..

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Many times they tend to graze off rocks and glass before actually feeding suspended foods
My preference for finicky eaters would be :
LRS herbivore diet
Frozen mysis shrimp
Spirulina brine shrimp
Live brine shrimp
Formula 2 flake and frozen

also add garlic extract to foods and seachem has a product called ENTICE which put a finicky fish into feeding mode
I add it to food and tank water

OP
OP
M

MTsquared

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine did the same thing. After a couple weeks he was no longer shy at all at feeding time, eats the mysis like crazy and the a little of the seaweed sheets. But def my most active tang at eating off the rocks and glass.
Thanks that is reassuring to hear.

OP
OP
M

MTsquared

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many times they tend to graze off rocks and glass before actually feeding suspended foods
My preference for finicky eaters would be :
LRS herbivore diet
Frozen mysis shrimp
Spirulina brine shrimp
Live brine shrimp
Formula 2 flake and frozen

also add garlic extract to foods and seachem has a product called ENTICE which put a finicky fish into feeding mode
I add it to food and tank water
This is all great info, I have some of the LRS Nano Reef frozen from my previous tank. I will check to see if any of my LFS carry the Herbivore blend. Will also see if I can find any of the Seachem Entice to add to the food - I am assuming it is a liquid? Do you just mix it in with the frozen food and feed all together or do you put it in the tank first then the food?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
This is all great info, I have some of the LRS Nano Reef frozen from my previous tank. I will check to see if any of my LFS carry the Herbivore blend. Will also see if I can find any of the Seachem Entice to add to the food - I am assuming it is a liquid? Do you just mix it in with the frozen food and feed all together or do you put it in the tank first then the food?
Liquid and feed together- yes

Nicole08

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine will eat little mysis. I can’t get it to eat nori and it’s starting to show a little vitamin deficiency. I added some selcon to the mysis and it doesn’t seem to like it much. It will pick at algae pellets and seaweed extreme. I’m trying to add garlic to the nori, but it has no interest in it.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.3%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 42 17.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 161 67.1%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back