KP Aquatics Live Rock - Question

VermontReefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Couple Questions For Experienced LIVE ROCK Reefers:

Should I purchase 80-100lbs of KP Aquatics Premium Live Rock Shipped in Water ONE month ahead of my tank being ready for rock? Is it worth patrolling for critters/cycling ahead of placing the rock in my Cade? Is there any advantage or disadvantage to this methodology with this particular Aquacultured rock? I've been reefing on an off for 15 years and my last setup was using Manado/Tonga/Fiji etc. We used to buy the rock in advance, cure and monitor before placing it in the main tank. I understand in-tank cycling is beneficial and I'm all onboard with cycling the tank straight away once everything is ready but I figured I'd ask. Your advice & direction is welcome. Those of whom have never run actual live rock need not apply. Thanks so much! Happy Reefing

My Setup:
Tank:
Cade 1200 S2 ( Thanks AlgaeBarn)
114g Display
21g Sump
9.2g Gravity Fed ATO

Filtration/Nutrient Export:
Maxspect Aeraqua Duo AD600
Socks - Until Red Sea ReefMat Arrives
Refugium w/ Tunze Eco Chic Light
Aqua UV 57 watt w/ Neptune Cor 20

Flow/Return:
Abyzz A100 DC Return w/ Controller
2 Vortech MP40's
1 Ice Cap 4k Gyre

Lighting/Heat:
2 Radion XR30 G5 Pro's
1 Kessil A360x
700 Watt Innovative Marine Helio PTC Dual Heaters (350x2)
300 Watt BRS Titanium Heater w/ Ink Bird ( Separate Circuits)

Controller/Automation/Electrical:
2 Dedicated 20 Amp AFCI/GFCI Outlets
1 Dedicated 20 Amp NON GFCI Outlet
Hard Wired -Full Neptune Apex/Trident System w/ All The Trinkits & crap. Like Everything.
Neptune Dos (Water Change from Basement)
Red Sea Reef Dose 4 Doser
Ipad Control Panel

Water: Basement Mixing Station
BRS 4 Stage 75gpd R/O System
2 Norwesco 65 Gallon Storage Containers
Vectra M2 for Mixing
Automatic Water Changes run via DOS

Let me know your thoughts! Thanks!

Last edited:

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I purchase 80-100lbs of KP Aquatics Premium Live Rock Shipped in Water ONE month ahead of my tank being ready for rock? Is it worth patrolling for critters/cycling ahead of placing the rock in my Cade? Is there any advantage or disadvantage to this methodology with this particular Aquacultured rock?

Not to answer a question with a question but when you mean ahead of time where are you planning on keeping it? And will it have filtration and lighting? The reason for asking is because you will be spending a premium on that rock and do not want to kill anything off by keeping it in the dark. Let me elaborate a bit because I think I understand your concern.

About three months ago I placed an order for about 20 lbs of the same rock to toss in my 4 year old display. The rock as you probably already know, and similar to TBS, came with a lot of life on it. I'm talking about encrusted hard coral, sponges, and an assortment of invertebrates. Some of these things will need to be fed while others will need light and yet others won't care one way or another. Thus my question on how you plan to keep it. Personally speaking I threw mine on a rack in my refugium and then threw in a piece of raw shrimp under it, and waited 24 hours. I visited a few times and removed any of the unknown crabs I couldn't ID and then 24 hours later threw the rock in my main display of 4 years old.

To to circle back. I think one of your concerns is about the potential risk of predatory crabs or snails? If so I can say my order came with 2 gorilla crabs, 2 unknown decorator type crabs, 8 red mithrax crabs, and a few snails. Out of that list I moved everything to the display but the gorilla and decorators. I've not seen any sign of pistols or mantis. Lots of mini stars, sponges, etc.

TL:DR if you can feed it and light it I don't see a issue. It will, as you suggest, allow you to look for stuff you want to rehome. If you keep in the dark I would not recommend it. I'm pretty sure you can capture just about anything out of the main display with traps otherwise.

You are going to be happy with KP. They are a great business to work with and the rock really is great stuff. All the best to you.

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put it in ahead of time. Put your Radions on for like 5 hours a day at 50%. If you can start up your sump/skimmer great. If not, no sweat. The rock come so fresh there is 0 die off. I did exactly this with 300 pounds and no regrets.

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered 3 months in advance from them and cooked it in brute cans along with Marco. Picked out a couple hitchhikers during the wait. Once you move it over to the tank when it's set up there is no cycle. You already did it in your holding tanks. Transfer some of the water over and that will help as well. I had a great experience with them. Would do it the same all over again.

OP
OP
VermontReefs

VermontReefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to answer a question with a question but when you mean ahead of time where are you planning on keeping it? And will it have filtration and lighting? The reason for asking is because you will be spending a premium on that rock and do not want to kill anything off by keeping it in the dark. Let me elaborate a bit because I think I understand your concern.

About three months ago I placed an order for about 20 lbs of the same rock to toss in my 4 year old display. The rock as you probably already know, and similar to TBS, came with a lot of life on it. I'm talking about encrusted hard coral, sponges, and an assortment of invertebrates. Some of these things will need to be fed while others will need light and yet others won't care one way or another. Thus my question on how you plan to keep it. Personally speaking I threw mine on a rack in my refugium and then threw in a piece of raw shrimp under it, and waited 24 hours. I visited a few times and removed any of the unknown crabs I couldn't ID and then 24 hours later threw the rock in my main display of 4 years old.

To to circle back. I think one of your concerns is about the potential risk of predatory crabs or snails? If so I can say my order came with 2 gorilla crabs, 2 unknown decorator type crabs, 8 red mithrax crabs, and a few snails. Out of that list I moved everything to the display but the gorilla and decorators. I've not seen any sign of pistols or mantis. Lots of mini stars, sponges, etc.

TL:DR if you can feed it and light it I don't see a issue. It will, as you suggest, allow you to look for stuff you want to rehome. If you keep in the dark I would not recommend it. I'm pretty sure you can capture just about anything out of the main display with traps otherwise.

You are going to be happy with KP. They are a great business to work with and the rock really is great stuff. All the best to you.
I was going to run it in rubbermaid with lights and the skimmer etc. However in retrospect I think I'm close enough just to finish the setup and start it in the tank when it ready therefore I dont have to move it again.

damsels are not mean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of the really bad pests can be trapped once in the tank TBH I would not sweat it. Observe what comes out when you Feed and set traps if you are concerned about worms, mantis, crabs, etc. Loss from poor conditions make a premium fresh rock like that an unnecessary waste of money.

OP
OP
VermontReefs

VermontReefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of the really bad pests can be trapped once in the tank TBH I would not sweat it. Observe what comes out when you Feed and set traps if you are concerned about worms, mantis, crabs, etc. Loss from poor conditions make a premium fresh rock like that an unnecessary waste of money.
I agree and it's a premium cost wise. I'll just go with the original plan and trap them if I find some. Thanks!

Duncan62

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Couple Questions For Experienced LIVE ROCK Reefers:

Should I purchase 80-100lbs of KP Aquatics Premium Live Rock Shipped in Water ONE month ahead of my tank being ready for rock? Is it worth patrolling for critters/cycling ahead of placing the rock in my Cade? Is there any advantage or disadvantage to this methodology with this particular Aquacultured rock? I've been reefing on an off for 15 years and my last setup was using Manado/Tonga/Fiji etc. We used to buy the rock in advance, cure and monitor before placing it in the main tank. I understand in-tank cycling is beneficial and I'm all onboard with cycling the tank straight away once everything is ready but I figured I'd ask. Your advice & direction is welcome. Those of whom have never run actual live rock need not apply. Thanks so much! Happy Reefing

My Setup:
Tank:
Cade 1200 S2 ( Thanks AlgaeBarn)
114g Display
21g Sump
9.2g Gravity Fed ATO

Filtration/Nutrient Export:
Maxspect Aeraqua Duo AD600
Socks - Until Red Sea ReefMat Arrives
Refugium w/ Tunze Eco Chic Light
Aqua UV 57 watt w/ Neptune Cor 20

Flow/Return:
Abyzz A100 DC Return w/ Controller
2 Vortech MP40's
1 Ice Cap 4k Gyre

Lighting/Heat:
2 Radion XR30 G5 Pro's
1 Kessil A360x
700 Watt Innovative Marine Helio PTC Dual Heaters (350x2)
300 Watt BRS Titanium Heater w/ Ink Bird ( Separate Circuits)

Controller/Automation/Electrical:
2 Dedicated 20 Amp AFCI/GFCI Outlets
1 Dedicated 20 Amp NON GFCI Outlet
Hard Wired -Full Neptune Apex/Trident System w/ All The Trinkits & crap. Like Everything.
Neptune Dos (Water Change from Basement)
Red Sea Reef Dose 4 Doser
Ipad Control Panel
Water: Basement Mixing Station
BRS 4 Stage 75gpd R/O System
2 Norwesco 65 Gallon Storage Containers
Vectra M2 for Mixing
Automatic Water Changes run via DOS

Let me know your thoughts! Thanks!
I've used kp several times. I get my water flowing and add the rock without even a rinse. The die off is better than dosing ammonia and the hitchhikers have a better chance of survival. Instant cycle that will mostly bypass the ugly stage. Their rock has lots of algea right now. Throw the rock in your tank and you'll be pleased with the result.

ReefGeezer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered 3 months in advance from them and cooked it in brute cans along with Marco. Picked out a couple hitchhikers during the wait. Once you move it over to the tank when it's set up there is no cycle. You already did it in your holding tanks. Transfer some of the water over and that will help as well. I had a great experience with them. Would do it the same all over again.
+1... Order early and let it sit is circulated water in the dark. I'll add that it all doesn't have to be premium rock. The base live rock will do the job just about as well.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back