Krully's Reefer 350 build

Krully

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here we go, I finally ordered the tank and decided it was time to slowly start my build thread.

Quick background: I started the hobby in January 2019 with a 40g IM Nuvo cube, I've always loved sea critters of all kinds (except bobbit worms) and a reef tank was always a dream of mine when I was younger. I made some small mistakes but overall had a good run with this tank and no major issue at all, even survived a move like a champ! However I've been getting more and more frustrated by the cube shape that makes flow a nightmare and aquascaping was becoming a big pain in the butt. I cheaped out on too many things and I figured I'd start fresh when the occasion would arise. I guess now that we're getting our first house is the right time to do this!

Sorry American folks but I'm not good with your measurements units, so I figured that if I usually have to read pounds and inches on Reef2reef then you'll probably be able to adapt once in a while!

Here's what I'll go with:

- Reefer 350, white.
- 2x ReefLed 90. I've spent a lot of time debating internally on lightning, my budget is still limited and there was nothing else that wasn't offbrand that would offer what I wanted for the same price, Hydra 32 are expensive (100€ per bracket, really AI?) and let's not even talk about Radions.
- Bubble Magus Curve 7, got a good deal on that skimmer, read good reviews and I wanted something oversized so I could be lazy once in a while.
- Jebao DCP-4000, I'm going oversized here too, I'd rather reduce the flow than have a DCP-3000 working at max capacity all the time.
- Stock ATO for now but I'll probably get a Tunze 3155 before going on holidays and convert the reservoir into a refugium.
- MarcoRocks, 30 kilos, I'll also be adding some extra media in the sump.
- 2x Jebao CP-25 for flow, I might add more later nothing set in stone there.
- JBL 300W + 200W backup heaters + inkbird controller. I've had good success with the JBL heaters and titanium heaters scare me, what if the inkbird fails? I'll probably get one when I also have an Apex.
- Some kind of dosing pump, maybe Jebao?

I'd love to get an Apex later but I'm already reaching my budget for now so that'll have to wait.

Stocking:

Fish I'll be transferring:

- Two regular clownfishes
- Midas blenny
- 6 line wrasse (well I'm not sure he's invited, for obvious reasons)

Planned:

I would love your input here

-Longnose hawkfish
- Yellow clown goby
(I miss the one I lost a few weeks ago, see profile picture)
- Some kind of tang? Will need the input of the tang police there
- Yasha goby
- Mandarin in a year or more.
- Melanurus or yellow wrasse

As for corals this will be focused mostly on LPS with a few SPS here and there, I want to keep things simple.

I'll update this thread, tank should arrive next week or the week after!

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On more Europan build - looks good.

One comment - I had the same type of return pump as you want for 3 years - no problems. However - recently I change to a Coral Box DCA 4000 smart pump (basically nearly the same pump) The controller for that pump is ready for use with 1-10 V from an Apex or a GHL Profilux.

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
Krully

Krully

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On more Europan build - looks good.

One comment - I had the same type of return pump as you want for 3 years - no problems. However - recently I change to a Coral Box DCA 4000 smart pump (basically nearly the same pump) The controller for that pump is ready for use with 1-10 V from an Apex or a GHL Profilux.

Sincerely Lasse

Good advice thank you! I’ll see if I can find one with European warranty because I only see fish street now

OP
OP
Krully

Krully

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Filling the tank, should be done in a few hours, this is where the fun begins!

C51401A5-6614-4285-969F-9F2DBCA5E6FD.jpeg

OP
OP
Krully

Krully

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it was a ReefLed in upwards position. I’ll probably update the thread soon, tank is running with livestock!

OP
OP
Krully

Krully

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I guess I didn't really update that thread step by step so here's where I am right now with my stocklist which is close to complete I guess :

- 2 clowns
- Midas blenny
- Flasher Wrasse
- Yellow clown goby
- 4 lyretail anthias
- Tomini tang

I'll probably keep it that way for a long time before the last addition which will be a mandarin, I still need to get my hands on a big ball of chaeto and start cultivating pods, my sump is growing more green hair algae than cheato at the moment.

Dealing with a bit of cyano on the sand, pretty interesting considering I had the EXACT same outbreak in my 40g at the SAME time (about 3 to 4 months after starting the tank) and both were started with dry rocks and sand. I'll deal with it the same way I dealt with it in my 40g : blowing it off, regular water changes with sand vacuuming. In my 40g it did completely disappear in a few months and was never seen again.

Here's a short video of the reef during feeding time, I do need more corals but my wallet isn't too happy about that :

Back