Large aquariums on second floor safe?

zukihara

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much water does a bathtub hold. They put bathtubs on second floors. Water weighs about 7 pounds per gallon.

My 50g tank is like 150lbs dry. 1/2" glass.
Not to mention the 100lb solid wood stand.

My fiberglass tub insert is maybe.....25lbs?

Lol.
Obviously they are talking about a full tub and a person in it. Maybe 2 people. Maybe some strawberries and candles, too.

zukihara

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my wife and myself can’t fit in a standard tub.
We got the xl whirlpool tub in our bathroom just for this reason.
Lol
I hear ya! BTW, my ex got the highly modified JL recently. ;Vomit;Vomit;Vomit;Vomit;Vomit;Vomit;Vomit;Vomit;Vomit

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like this might be a silly question but I have a 75 gallon with 20 gallon sump I've avoided putting back together out of fear if it falling through the floor. Am I being ridiculous, or is this something I should avoid?
You should be fine in all likelihood, but all this tub talk has me wondering if some know a difference between temporary and sustained load. Unless we are all taking a bath 24 hours a day 7 days a week that is....

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should be fine in all likelihood, but all this tub talk has me wondering if some know a difference between temporary and sustained load. Unless we are all taking a bath 24 hours a day 7 days a week that is....
hot tub flirt GIF

DaddyFish

“5 percenter”
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Don_Jorge Attempting to be useful and constructive (not typical me)...
You could fashion a very nice 3/4" plywood platform that's a foot or so larger than the tank to help with weight distribution and help reduce stains from spills. Bevel/router the edges, finish it nicely?

OP
OP
Don_Jorge

Don_Jorge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Don_Jorge Attempting to be useful and constructive (not typical me)...
You could fashion a very nice 3/4" plywood platform that's a foot or so larger than the tank to help with weight distribution and help reduce stains from spills. Bevel/router the edges, finish it nicely?
might just do that

sean151

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From the engineering study I had done for adding a reefer 300xl mid joist (weight would be parallel and on 2 joists) off the wall in my office above the garage. The recommendations were sister the 3 joists (2 holding the weight and the one next to them) and block the connection between the joist next to the wall and the wall itself under the location of the tank.

Majority of the comments here are discussing dynamic loads, this is a heavy static load where lb/ft^2 is king. What you need to do is estimate that value and the number of joists that will be supporting the load directly.

dennis romano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not the weight load that you should worry about. The question is what happens if there is a leak or spill. A five gallon spill can do a lot of damage, not just to the immediate area but to the room below. I have had to repair a few first floor ceilings because of second floor leaks in bathrooms and laundries.

madmax12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 55 gallon on my second floor, I put it on the exterior wall so it has the most support, almost all exterior walls are load bearing up to a point, I wouldn't sweat over a 75g with sump, I have 3 tanks in this room and I don't lose sleep over it.
I’m a year late but What are the size of your tanks? I have a 100g, 75g, and a 55g and I want them all in the same room but I’m terrified the place is gonna collapse. I live in on the second floor of an apartment building. I have the 55g and the 75g on separate parts of the apartment but I want them in the same room lined up against a low baring wall. Would that break the floor at all? I’m assuming it’s around 2,500lbs total and it would be spread across like 13 feet.

alain Bouchard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reading the posts make me realize how much simpler calculations are in metric...75gal = 285liter. 285 liter(which is equally 285 cubic decimeter) of water weight 285kg (x1.026 for salt weight). it freeze at 0c. and boil at 100c...when will US and UK take the logical step? sry for the little "hors sujet", but it feels good ;)

vpierce3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there. I do architectural design. Floors in living areas are designed to hold 50 pounds per square foot of live load (bedrooms are 40) and 20 pounds of dead load. And most of us design the floors to exceed this so the floors feel solid and are stable (not flexible) for things like tile.
the tank should run perpendicular to the floor joists, NOT parallel. That way the load is distributed over more framing members. Try to place the tank next to a bearing wall, or even better, over a bearing wall below. If you have a bearing wall directly underneath, and the joists are perpendicular, you can go big no problem. But all homes are different so it’s good to have a pro look at it.
If your home is older, be careful! I’ve seen a lot of bad building and broken framing in houses built in the 1950s and older. Older houses also may have undersized or compromised foundations as well.
‘On raised floor construction, pay close attention to leveling the tank. The floor will most likely be crooked.
Hope this helps.

Big Smelly fish

If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had 150’s on 2nd floor apartment before against a wall which probably wouldn’t make a difference if it was in the center of a room. Heck I even had multiple large tanks in mobile homes before.

Rjmul

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol. I wouldnt.
But, maybe its because my Reef Room is over my garage lol. Still though, finished stucco >.<

Heres the worst that happened so far lol.

20190714_064835.jpg 20190714_101955.jpg 20190714_102003.jpg
Think of the amount of kalk you can dose with those fans

steveschuerger

I love Gonis and Euphyllia. Maybe too much
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I’m in a 3rd floor space with both a 90 and 60 gallon in 2 different spots. As long as you make sure your either over or next to where support beams are you should be fine.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 20.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 47 36.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back