Large sump small DT(s)

WINSTEW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting ready to jump back into the hobby after being out for 15 years. With kids and the way my home sets up I have a lot of options for placement of DT. I also have the ability and desire to have a basement sump setup/room. With the current fad of All In 1 tanks, the hobby seems to be departing from basement sump or sump rooms but that is a discussion for later.

I would like to have 2 smaller DTS on opposite sides of a wall, most likely 20 gallon cubes. They would both be plumbed to a rather large sump (~75-90 gallon or whatever I can pick up cheap/used). I was planning on installing baffles and loading a section with LR for bacteria surface area.

To me, it looks like a bullet proof system as long as I size equipment and ensure I have control over flow. It also allows for upgrading to a single larger DT at a later date,but like other things in this hobby I'm sure I'm missing something. Thoughts from the hive mind?

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I probably would skip having rock in the sump. The space would be better served for macroalgae.

ReefEco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome back to the hobby : ) Sounds like a common larger sump would be great to add some extra water volume for the two small tanks. And if you can plan for a separate fish room now for the eventual upgrade to a larger display, all the better!

archercorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Big sump is good. A theoretical 155g-175g of water is not that huge, so I would still ensure to run it normally and not complacently

zheka757

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome back!, I have 180G sump that goes to my 60G frag tank, and 400G display tank. my frag tank constantly gets algae outbreak unlike my display tank. and both share same water. on a side note, my display tank has 8 grazing tangs, and frag tank only has 1 tang.

OP
OP
W

WINSTEW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Grazing tangs sounds fantastic, but the sump would be in a spot where they would not be enjoyed.
Any thoughts on multiple return pumps? The DTs should be relatively the same distance in regards to piping so I’m not concerned about flow difference beyond what I could control with a valve.

Regarding temperature control, any issues with just maintaining sump water temperature? Supplement with localized heaters? I’m trying to keep as much equipment out of the DTs as possible

cwerner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Grazing tangs sounds fantastic, but the sump would be in a spot where they would not be enjoyed.
Any thoughts on multiple return pumps? The DTs should be relatively the same distance in regards to piping so I’m not concerned about flow difference beyond what I could control with a valve.

Regarding temperature control, any issues with just maintaining sump water temperature? Supplement with localized heaters? I’m trying to keep as much equipment out of the DTs as possible
Most people keep their heater in their sump without any issues. As long as your water turnover is anywhere close to normal then it'd be fine.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 34.6%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.5%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 35 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back