Large tank acrylic or glass

  • Thread starter Thread starter Kbra
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Kbra

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 21, 2009
Messages
1,417
Reaction score
3
Location
San Luis Obispo, CA
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Around the end of the year I'm going to start my 8 foot tank. I've always been a fan of glass because of its resistance to scratches and clarity. But with this size I have a feeling its safer to go acrylic. What do you all think? Some pros and cons maybe...

Thanks

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk
 
what total gallonage? the length isn't as important as the height when regarding water pressure, so if it's a shorty, you could go either way. if you're talking an 8x2x2 or something, acrylic all the way.
 
what total gallonage? the length isn't as important as the height when regarding water pressure, so if it's a shorty, you could go either way. if you're talking an 8x2x2 or something, acrylic all the way.

I'm thinking 96"H x 30"D x 24" H

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk
 
Acrylic. As long as you are careful, cleaning the viewing area, you will have no problems. If you do scratch it, you can repair it. FWIW, Starfire glass is ALMOST as scratchable as acrylic is, in case you were going that way. Acrylic has a much more natural color rendering, vs regular glass and its greenish tint.
 
I guess my concern is scratching and discoloration with age. A tank this size I wouldn't replace to quickly...
 
with big tanks I recommend acrylic for the safety factor, and admittedly, the moving factor.With a 2x2 on the other dimensions, the 8 foot isn't THAT big of a problem, but you're still going to be looking at a very pricey tank depending how you brace it. I might suggest getting a few quotes for acrylic vs glass and just see what the difference is.

For safety- it's just a matter of water pressure vs silicone. With acrylic, the seams are actually 'melted' together making it a solid one piece, not two pieces that are joined.

Clarity- acrylic IS clearer than glass, regardless of tank size. The exception being starfire, but then again, starfire is a little softer so can scratch almost as easily as acrylic. it's not a matter of the size in this case- you're just going to find glass vs acrylic arguments about this anywhere.

Acrylic WONT discolor with age- that was old (really old!) tech where the acrylic wasn't nearly as high of quality as is used by any reputable manufacturer today. However, it WILL scratch, so there's not much to say except be ready for it and prepared to live with it, or buff it out.

hope that's some help.
 
Whhile I like glass' surface better, I too say acrylic. It's clearer, lighter, and stronger than glass. In many ways it makes for the perfect tank.. now if they would just fix that scratch issue then we'd be golden!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 3.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 7 6.1%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 22 19.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 37 32.2%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 8.7%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 9 7.8%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 16 13.9%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 7.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new