Large Tank in stock

pelicansreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife and I are in the process of upgrading our 220 reef. We have kind of settled on a 380 to 450 range tank. 96" X 36" X30" I am a retired engineer and can visualize the tank and how it will fit the space. My wife is not as good at seeing things in abstract. She would like to see the actual tank so she can get a feel for the space it will take and how much additional space the new tank would have. She really isn't against buying the bugger tank but would like to see one in person.

Anyone know of any local fish stores on the east coast that have a 450 gallon display tank or even better a 450 gallon tank in stock for sale. We live in the Virginia Beach/Chesapeake Va. area. but were ok with any thing within 6 hours drive. We travel all the time so driving to Pa. Or S.C. is fine with us.

Thanks for any ideas

OP
OP
pelicansreef

pelicansreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea, I tried that with PVC pipe and brown wrapping paper. It was better than nothing but the wife says she really wants to see the real deal. I think it is a trick to get a road trip but I'm OK with that. Were retired and love to travel so the trip isn't really an issue

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would suggest to start checking out your LFS... I highly doubt you will find a tank that size empty and for sale, but it is quite possible that you may find a store with a display that large.

OP
OP
pelicansreef

pelicansreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately we live in a coral desert in this area. We have 1 semi good aquarium store and several lesser marine and fresh water stores but nothing to really brag about. We have a couple of stores in Richmond but none with a 8' long tank. I told my wife I didn't think there were likely any stores with the size tank were looking for but I thought I would post here and maybe there is a store I'm not aware of that has a 8' tank we could look at. Years ago there were several places to look at / buy bigger tanks but since the great pandemic there seems to be fewer stores that stock tanks of any size especially larger tanks

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately we live in a coral desert in this area. We have 1 semi good aquarium store and several lesser marine and fresh water stores but nothing to really brag about. We have a couple of stores in Richmond but none with a 8' long tank. I told my wife I didn't think there were likely any stores with the size tank were looking for but I thought I would post here and maybe there is a store I'm not aware of that has a 8' tank we could look at. Years ago there were several places to look at / buy bigger tanks but since the great pandemic there seems to be fewer stores that stock tanks of any size especially larger tanks

If the intention is to simply see a tank that size, does it matter if it is a FW or SW display? Tank size will still be the same right?

OP
OP
pelicansreef

pelicansreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right, FW or SW is the same. Primary interest is physical size. A coral reef that size would be nice but it isn't a consideration. Having it be a coral store would be nice from the standpoint of making the road trip a coral hunting trip as well but we usually make side detours on all of our travels to look at marine fish and coral stores so if there is a store within 50 miles or our route we will make a side detour to go look.

o2manyfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My previous tank was 96x33x29 - And that 36" depth makes a huge difference (in comparison to your 220) for building a nice looking display tank. Being able to step things from front to back without having just a rock wall will give you a lot more area to grow nice colonies that aren't constantly shading what's growing underneath them.

If you have the wall space in your house, just go ahead and fill it. Your wife is supportive of the hobby so it's doubtful she's going to look at a giant tank filled with the water, see the future potential, and then say - Nah - I don't like the look of this let's try something else.

We were forced to upgrade to a 560g a year ago. It's 120x30x36 tall - And while it's pretty it's impossible to keep clean and work in with the 36" depth. My wife is pushing me to replace it with a 120x60x30 in the center of our house. I don't think she cares what the tank looks like, she is just tired of hearing me cursing at the 36" depth.

Dave B

Intense37754

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’m guessing the place in Greenbrier is an ok place? Sorry been 15yrs since i lived in Tidewater.
Have you looked at visiting That Pet Place in PA?

OP
OP
pelicansreef

pelicansreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m guessing the place in Greenbrier is an ok place? Sorry been 15yrs since i lived in Tidewater.
Have you looked at visiting That Pet Place in PA?
yea the place in greenbrier is owned by a local family. I am not a big fan. They had a 400 used tank in poor condition and wanted over 7K. I can buy a brand new Planet Aquarium 450 for close to that

OP
OP
pelicansreef

pelicansreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glasscages = Nashville TN
Planet Aquariums = Dallas Fort Worth TX

I believe both offer TOURS by appointment

We are talking about a road trip to Nashville and doing the town while were there. I'd love to do the Planet Aquarium tour but that is a bit of a stretch. I like their tanks and I have had several good reviews of the Glass Cages tanks. I'm sure if we don't find a local LFS with one that size as a display or for sale we will go to Glass cages and take the tour and order the tank

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure about tanks that exact size but The Pet Zone in Pittston pa has a 1,000g display. I think it's 10 or 12 feet long x 48 wide x 36 tall

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife and I are in the process of upgrading our 220 reef. We have kind of settled on a 380 to 450 range tank. 96" X 36" X30" I am a retired engineer and can visualize the tank and how it will fit the space. My wife is not as good at seeing things in abstract. She would like to see the actual tank so she can get a feel for the space it will take and how much additional space the new tank would have. She really isn't against buying the bugger tank but would like to see one in person.

Anyone know of any local fish stores on the east coast that have a 450 gallon display tank or even better a 450 gallon tank in stock for sale. We live in the Virginia Beach/Chesapeake Va. area. but were ok with any thing within 6 hours drive. We travel all the time so driving to Pa. Or S.C. is fine with us.

Thanks for any ideas
Take a picture of the space you intend to put it, give me a marker for 10ft (or any distance really (suggest something between 5-10 feet for accuracy), as long as it's accurate and the picture you took is perpendicular to that surface), and give me a picture (or at the very least make/model) of the tank you're looking at. I could put it in your home for you so she can see it...

OP
OP
pelicansreef

pelicansreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take a picture of the space you intend to put it, give me a marker for 10ft (or any distance really (suggest something between 5-10 feet for accuracy), as long as it's accurate and the picture you took is perpendicular to that surface), and give me a picture (or at the very least make/model) of the tank you're looking at. I could put it in your home for you so she can see it...
Thank you for that offer. I will try to get a better picture but here is a picture of the current tank which is 80" long. The wall behind it is 10 feet long. The first picture is a planet aquarium 450 which is 96" X 36" X 30"
96x36x30-TL-Black.jpg
reef1.jpg

Joe Glass Cages

Passionate Glass Cages’s Team Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glasscages = Nashville TN
Planet Aquariums = Dallas Fort Worth TX

I believe both offer TOURS by appointment

we most certainly do. tours are fun.... let us know and we will put your tour on the calendar.

Thanks for the mention @zoa what

Joe Glass Cages

Passionate Glass Cages’s Team Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We are talking about a road trip to Nashville and doing the town while were there. I'd love to do the Planet Aquarium tour but that is a bit of a stretch. I like their tanks and I have had several good reviews of the Glass Cages tanks. I'm sure if we don't find a local LFS with one that size as a display or for sale we will go to Glass cages and take the tour and order the tank
thanks for the consideration @pelicansreef

for sure, lets tour..... come on out to the studio. Let us know when and we will calendar it. We love this stuff.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 1 3.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 20 74.1%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 18.5%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 3.7%
Back