Largest Colonies for Sale

abbypoodle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aside from the member sales here and local reef clubs, who has the biggest colonies for sale? I’m looking for a few larger pieces for my tank. It sounds like there should be some larger pieces coming from Indonesia so that could mix things up I guess.
Thanks!

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@AquaSD just got some indo SPS colonies for sale.

Those mari-cultured mini colonies sold for $70-90 everywhere before the ban and now they want $400-500.

This is just as bad as the other vendors hacking them up and selling frags for 75-100+

People don't be the sucker to buy these..........be patient.

I'd stick with the Aussie colonies for now.............at least you can get a 4-6" colony for $100-300
The Tonga colonies are in the 70-90 range and are the same size of the indo colonies.

Same coral color and species.........one pic is heavy blue and photo enchanced/shopped.........the other isn't. the DD coral is more than double the size as well......... many vendors sell the Aussies.

Pink milli coral colony.jpg

Pink milli colony 2.jpg

Last edited:

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those mari-cultured mini colonies sold for $70-90 everywhere before the ban and now they want $400-500.
I used to buy most of my corals from him. The ban must have really hurt his business because his prices jumped 500%
I sure hope things settle out and I can shop there again.

gilman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aqua SD was the last one to to use the name game and they had the best prices of any of the online vendors . Id say three years ago they sold out and now eveything has a goofy name and jacked up price . Its sad what these vendors have done to the hobby .

Last edited by a moderator:

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This is just as bad as the other vendors hacking them up and selling frags for 75-100+

I'd stick with the Aussie colonies for now.............at least you can get a 4-6" colony for $100-300
The Tonga colonies are in the 70-90 range and are the same size of the indo colonies.

Same coral color and species.........one pic is heavy blue and photo enchanced/shopped.........the other isn't. the DD coral is more than double the size as well......... many vendors sell the Aussies.

Pink milli colony 2.jpg

Oh no but they are all rainbow acros!!! ;) I told people this exact place would be selling them for this much 200 - 500 bucks and no one believed me. Wait til they get a unique one in and not just decent pieces.... $$$$.... I wonder how much pricing has changed for the vendors I would guess around only 10%.

And divers den has been getting slammed for a while when they are the only reliable place I shop. Sure some die and if you don’t know what your looking at your going to pick the wrong pieces and they will ship stressed corals. But if you can tell what’s not stressed it’s a pretty good place to shop. They have had multiple tenuis and mille colonies that people would chop up and name if it went to a certain batch of vendors.

DaneGer21

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Remember people it’s NOT the vendors!

It’s US! The customer! The vendors ONLY give what a customer wants!

Stop buying the names and the current prices and watch what happens! The ban only recently had a little to do with it, but mostly it’s just the people who beg for names and shell out the cash.

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Pink milli colony 2.jpg
Lol someone bought that colony from ASD. Probably thought you endorsed it, Big E. Lol

crazy.

will used to sell those for 50-100$ all day.

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought it’s not a good idea to buy big sps colonies because they grow to the lighting and flow of a particular tank and may get different lighting and flow in the new tank. Or is that just for birdsnest?

greekspec2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Pink milli colony 2.jpg
I just bought 3 Indo colonies 4"-6" big from a LFS $80-$100ea.

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it has begun,price GOUGING ON THE INDOS. Thousands for Meat corals 899$ for trachy's??????Don't by INDOS.
Indo is opening back up. Once the stuff gets here it will be dirt cheap again. Everybody’s trying to make a buck while they can. I’ve been thinking of selling my Indo torch for a ton while I can lol

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anybody who imports aussie stuff is good. reefs4less (good to look if you have not), LA and saltwater fish are all about the same stock, give or take, but their prices and policies are different.

About Indo... did everybody forget what they were? ...at least with SPS. Pest infested general-type corals that were on cement plugs. They had some nice wild stuff, but they were still not cheap. Perhaps I am misremembering, but most of the shine from Indo appears to be just revisionist history. Tonga and Aussie corals were still the cream, aside from some lucky wild pieces every now and again. It seems like the next iteration of memory will be that people do not remember Indo being this bad, even though it is probably the memory that is not accurate.

if that colony from Aqua SD is indo, then probably 30-40 other people got the exact same coral that was grown onto a different piece of concrete. Indo Mari are not unique pieces.

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anybody who imports aussie stuff is good. reefs4less (good to look if you have not), LA and saltwater fish are all about the same stock, give or take, but their prices and policies are different.

About Indo... did everybody forget what they were? ...at least with SPS. Pest infested general-type corals that were on cement plugs. They had some nice wild stuff, but they were still not cheap. Perhaps I am misremembering, but most of the shine from Indo appears to be just revisionist history. Tonga and Aussie corals were still the cream, aside from some lucky wild pieces every now and again. It seems like the next iteration of memory will be that people do not remember Indo being this bad, even though it is probably the memory that is not accurate.

if that colony from Aqua SD is indo, then probably 30-40 other people got the exact same coral that was grown onto a different piece of concrete. Indo Mari are not unique pieces.
Indo may have used concrete plugs and had pest infested coral but they still had beautiful pieces. Sure the acros and millies were just bleh (Aussie has nicer sps pieces imho) but the torches, elegance, hammers, and frogspawn’s were top notch. The euphyllias that came out of Indo were and still are world class. Sorry Australia but I haven’t seen a torch anywhere near the quality of Indo come out of Australia.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably true. I would not know. We are in the SPS section, so that is all that I posted about.

If somebody wants a large LPS, just buy a few heads and wait a year and you can have a basketball sized hammer or torch colony if you can keep from fragging it all the time.

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are a number of amazing mille variants that come out of indo maricultures but I have not seen them for a while, hopefully they start sending them again. Really good blue ones too but for some reason I haven’t personally seen them since maybe 2015. It’s not about what’s rare to everyone, Some people just like some variety of color and species to grow for themselves. I don’t remember Australia having the selection of smoothies that indo has either. I think there are more true yellow acros coming from indo mariculture than from collections on the gbr as well. Always positives and negatives to each area.
Pests come from everywhere though that’s not going to stop me from finding a coral I like. I think we can all agree Aussie stuff as become pretty generic besides a few great pieces that don’t get sent here often, and when they do it’s getting cut up and most wont get a chance to get it. I think once indo is open for a while there will be more to enjoy.

TDEcoral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO, indo has a greater variety in color and species than I've seen from Australia. I look at DD often and it seems like they keep cycling through the same couple of species and color variants. Indo definitely has a better selection of "deep water" acros and like Pedoconfuego said is see a lot more yellow acros coming from Indo than Australia.
That being said, what is ASD smoking? $450-550 is absolutely ridiculous for indo mariculture as is labeling every one of them as "rainbow". They won't be getting any of my money.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 70 44.6%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 73 46.5%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 14 8.9%
Back