Lasses Dream Build

ksed

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Core7 and therefore my water tend to have more and more salinity.I take out around 5-6 litres a week just in order to maintain the salinity. I plan to take a small amount every day - it will be the same as around 1 l WC/day. I will do that with a help of a dosing pump and let my top of compensate the loss. I have construct a 10 l jar with overflow protection.

container1.jpg

container2.jpg

New pictures

coral.jpg

coral2.jpg

goby1.jpg

monty1.jpg

Sincerely Lasse
Do you use RO to replace the water with?

OP
OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have for a long time complained that i do not really trust my Hanna HI-774. When I have compared with my Triton analyses it has shown around 0.08 ppm to much. See here from another thread

As I said before - my problem have been that my Hanna HI-774 all the times report higher PO4 values that my Triton test do. It is a new meter bought in september last year. I wash my tubes with citric acid every two weeks. I calibrate two tubes to show the same zero value - using one for zero and one for the samples. after completed reaction time - I do a serie of tests with first zeroing (the zero sample) and than analysing (sample) I repeat this readings up to ten times. Mostly I get results that swing around an average value plus/minus 0,02 ppm. In the fall I read around 0,08 - 0.12 all the time. The corals did not grow very well. I run GFO and AL99 in attempts to pres it down to around 0.06 (my wanted value) Did not succeed - the Triton test that I send in in late august show 0.03 ppm PO4. I bought this Hanna in order to manage the PO4. When I start to test with it - I get 0.1 - 0.12. Try to press it down as I say above. In late november - next Triton show 0.018 ppm PO4. My Hanna show 0.1 ppm. Start to dose PO4. Corals start to grow and thing looks very much better. in late january - my Triton test show 0,036 and my Hanna show 0.12. I conclude that the Hanna show around 0.08 above my real PO4 content. Things have developed well and the last Triton (a week ago) show 0.06 ppm. My Hanna had run wild this time - I had forget to clean the tubes with acid. Exactly there I want to be.

A friend of mine have done a lot of testes with different brands and compared them with Triton tests. Surprisingly for me - he recommend Red Sea Pro PO4 test. And I know how meticulous and careful he is with everything he does - I decided to buy such a test. Today I get it and I did a comparison with this test and my Hanna (with acid cleaned tubes) and the result was rather thoughtful. Red sea 0.08 and an average of 6 readings (with the same sample and same zero sample) with Hanna give me 0.16 ppm. This was the first analyse I did with Red Sea Pro PO4 and I know of experiences that I need 15 - 20 tests in order to learn the methods I do for the first time. We will see in a week or two if I can trust this test instead of Hanna.

I can see another advantage with this test. I have to compare colours with my own eyes and in different lights (they recommend 6500 K) I know that my eyes can trick me and understand that the value is somewhere around the value I read. When I read the digits in the Hanna window - my brain trick me to think that this is the very real value because it is digits - not colours.

Sincerely Lasse

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From another thread

Yes I use the Red Sea pro test as it should with colour comparison with my own eyes.

And the result (if it will be stable) is only valid for my Hi-774. IMO - if my Hi-774 not give me the right result - it is probably not a function of bad reaction chemicals - it is more plausible that it is a function of the meter - with other words - a technical problem. My first Red Sea pro test show a result rather similar to my Triton result 2 weeks ago. The last 4 Triton tests - my Hanna test meters have shown a result 0.08 ppm above Triton result with one exception there the Hanna show figures far away from Triton result. One of the > 0.08 tests was done with my old Hi-713 - and was the reason why I bought a new one.

I will do a couple of test the following days and see whats happen but the right answer I will not get before I can test both against a Triton analyse. I do Triton around every three months.

But - it is important to stress that this is valid for my meter - it does not mean that it is valid for all Hanna´s out there. In my case - I trust the results from Triton but if I only had test between Red Sea Pro and Hi-774 - I probably had state that the Red Sea Pro can´t be trusted. In my case - I have - before my test with Red Sea Pro - two indications that I had to trust Triton over my Hi-774. Knowledge about the Triton Method of ICP testing and my IRL observations of my aquarium. Maybe - the Red Sea Pro PO4 test will give me a third indication of not trust MY Hi-774. If I can show that the difference between Red Sea Pro and my Hi-774 is stable and the Red Sea Pro is showing close to Triton - it does not matter what I read on my Hi-774 - it is only a subtraction to do in order to get a valid result. But my test serie of more than 10 readings with the same zero and the same sample show that the result many time are plus/minus 0.02 around a average value. it is in order with Hannas own figures of accuracy. A second test this morning show concentration between 0.08 and 0.12 with Red Sea Pro and a an average of 0,18 with mine Hi-774. See attached excel file.

The photos have been taken with my Olympus TG-6, microscope - gaffling and with adjusted white balance. In next session (I will update the excel file) I will take with photos of all concentrations including zero.

Sincerely Lasse
After this post i have done a test 18:30. Hi-774 average 0,15 and Red Sea Pro test - just under 0.08. Please see the excel file below - updated

Sincerely Lasse

Attachments

• 2020 maj po4.xlsx
    841.6 KB · Views: 101

Mortie31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From another thread

After this post i have done a test 18:30. Hi-774 average 0,15 and Red Sea Pro test - just under 0.08. Please see the excel file below - updated

Sincerely Lasse
I think (my conclusion) is that the hanna ULR lights or sensors deteriate over time, like you I was getting significantly lower readings from triton than hanna, I bought a new hanna and know the results are far closer... or maybe the vials lose clarity or something...

OP
OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems that you and your new camera are becoming better friends each day. Thanks for sharing the pics.
Yes - it works out good.

The whole aquaria seems to work better and better. Today I saw that one of my LPS start to develop tentacles when I feed in the evening - it did that when it was new but the last 4-5 months - it have nor react at feeding time. Also my tunge coral develop "catcher" - it has done it before too.

lps1.jpg

lps2.jpg

lps3.jpg

lps4.jpg

plate.jpg

catch.jpg

sun.jpg

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have installed my new equipment for keeping the alkalinity constant when using Core 7. I know - it is not fail safe - it can end with water on the floor but if this work out well - I will place the collecting container over the sump - and in that case - it does not matter if it will be overfilled. However - I let a dosing pump be managed by my salinity meter and pump into the container when the salinity rise. My normal top off system managing the fill with new RO water. I have a safety level in the fill of the container (max 8 liters) and a floating switch that will shout down the pump if it necessary, General alarm will also shout down the action. Here it is adapt to the salinity to my nominale value of 34.6 psu. The blue bars indicate when and with how much the pump take out of sea water

runtime 001.PNG

Sincerely Lasse

Last edited:

chema

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have installed my new equipment for keeping the alkalinity constant when using Core 7. I know - it is not fail safe - it can end with water on the floor but if this work out well - I will place the collecting container over the sump - and in that case - it does not matter if it will be overfilled. However - I let a dosing pump be managed by my salinity meter and pump into the container when the salinity rise. My normal top off system managing the fill with new RO water. I have a safety level in the fill of the container (max 8 liters) and a floating switch that will shout down the pump if it necessary, General alarm will also shout down the action. Here it is adapt to the salinity to my nominale value of 34.6 psu. The blue bars indicate when and with how much the pump take out of sea water

runtime 001.PNG

Sincerely Lasse

Hi Lasse: could your decribe with some more detail the equipment and how it works? I'm also interested in an automatized way to control salinity increase.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 15 7.7%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 35 17.9%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 130 66.3%
  • Neither.

Votes: 10 5.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.1%
Back