Rating - 0%
0   0   0
p5240059-jpg.355570

The tank 21 months ago - the first layout

What´s it looks like today? Somethings like this

180210-fts.jpg

Sincerely Lasse
Wouldn't you expect at least a little more change over 21 months? o_O

This really is an amazing tank. I love just how natural it looks!

OP
OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you both

Its the natural look that´s have been my general idea from the beginning.

I'm basically a technician but with biological /ecological education. From the beginning in my reef hobby I wan´t to do as natural aquariums as possible with a low technical help. It works well with softies and mushrooms, rather good with softies, mushrooms, LPS and some SPS.

My old RSM 130 was an example of the first type. Nothing without a biological filtration and two circulation pumps. A rebuild light (own constructed LED with RGB and blue from 400 – 470) was the only high technical help I used

My old Percula 120 was an example of a mixed reef that work with few technical installations – I had a Profilux but it was must used for my own build LED fixture – three cannons of 5 channel Dream Chips. I use the inbuild skimmer – but only for gas exchange and a good place to ad ozone. I did not have any collecting cup on it.

The nutrient levels in these two tanks could make Richard Ross jealous :)

When my Percula collapsed (reason – the must common reason of all – a dumb reefer and a ridiculous decision to chase numbers in a system that works) I decided to start with this one.

But this time I want to build up a reef with more branching coloured pins (some call them branching high end SPS – but not I) Why do I want this type of corals – yea – the general idea is to get a food bank for one of my most wanted fishes – the harlequin filefish. Its possible to keep this fish the first 3 months if there is a healthy colony of SPS in the aquaria. After 3 months – it looks like they adapt a little more and eat frozen artemia.

I also want to do some experiments and to have a couple of different methods in order to manage the system in a biological way. The different ways have been very successful – nowadays I´m more worried for to low nutrients than to much.

Sincerely Lasse

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the general idea is to get a food bank for one of my most wanted fishes – the harlequin filefish.
:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

You are growing SPS.... as fish food? o_O

My mind is blown! I love it, yet I can't believe I just read this! Post after post on here about people struggling to keep SPS. Getting rid of nipping fish. Battling pests.
And yet here you are.. growing SPS like carrots. And doing some amazing light experiments at the same time! This thread is such an amazing learning tool!

OP
OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Brew12

I was lying a little - its not only for food I want these type of corals - they can also serve as houses for my coral gobies :)

This video shows holes - like doors for the one living inside this coral. I´m rather sure that these holes is done by the goby. Its fascinating.

I know that I need more and larger bushes of SPS in order to manage a harlequin file fish - but if you ever have seen this fish in a well managed aquarium with SPS will understand why I put in so much effort in order to have this fish.

A couple of years ago - someone said - its impossible to have this fish in a reef tank.

After that - I have seen it happen i two tanks. I one of them - one of Sweden´s best reefers get that task - to manage a reef aquarium in that way so there could be a harlequin in there - He was protesting a lot - but it was no problems and I know that he also have or have had these fishes in his home aquarium.

The other occasion is David at the maritime museum of Gothenburg – after I pestered him in a way that his ears fell off – he gives up and put 2 in the 10 000 litres aquarium. They are beautiful – and don do so much harm. :)

Sincerely Lasse

Last edited:

Rick.45cal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is looking phenominal Lasse! I’m happy to see that someone else broadcast feeds heavy like I do. Keep up the amazing work, my friend. It’s really grown in magnificently.

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice as always.
I had to do a waterchange on mine in the week to fill a 55 litre that was shut down for 24 hours due to a leak.
I swear the tank is sulking, I hate messing with it! ;)

OP
OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you both

@najer

I have done a massive WC (7 * 50 litres) during a couple of weeks in the beginning of January. I had to redo my DSB and take away the Siporax. I use Trititon Pure 2.0 this time. I have done one Triton test after that and it was not as good as before but I will do another test in the end of this month. i do not think it because of the salt because I started to use a mix of trace elements late December - I have stop that now. I have run Al based phosphate remover in an aggressive way for a while - resulting in PO4 -> 0 for two weeks (Hanna low Phosphate). Stopped the remover - want to rise the PO4 at least up to 0.05 - 0.1 again.

Probably - time for both of us to make our hands dry again :)

Sincerely Lasse

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to replace my mineral mud trays and then back to not waterchanging again, I've been harvesting the caulerpa quite hard as I had some cyano for a couple of months, might be a little too clean, cyano is now 95% gone.

OP
OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The test with Far Red gives not a clear result. Somethings happens - for sure - with my test hystrix but also with the corals around this test organism. Thre looks like its som differents between the the control and the test. A month ago i decided to walk the path of adding some wavelengths above 700 to my display - but how. I found a very interesting t5 tube from Wave-Point - the Coral Wave

Screen Shot 02-11-18 at 02.42 PM.PNG

It was exactly what i was looking for - but I could not find this bulb in Sweden or even in Europe. However - I found it at E-bay - but in the US. When I have decide something I normally make it happen - sometimes it is near genius - sometimes is near genius not the best word.

To order two T5 tubes for around $ 100 to be shipped across the US and further to Northern Europe and hope it will work – its normally way out from my optimistic brain – but if you want to test something that its perfect for your task – its difficult to stop. Of course – they were broken when they arrived – what did I aspect???

But they were well packed but there is a good chance that they have been transported through a war zone. The package had get a hit – and probably locked as a right angle before someone straighten it up.

Well – I wrote and told what´s happen and 3 day later I got my money back – but I did not want the money – I wanted the tubes – but they were wiser than me – I got the money – no replay - no impossible mission II.

What´s left – a virtual trip to the large country west of the US and their large website with the same name as I was named when I visit Morocco 10 years ago. Everyone with a white beard has that name there.

One problem only – they have copycat a Swedish habit to be free from work – we name it industry vacation – they call it Chines New Year. In our case – the whole country is more or less halted in production for 4 weeks – in Chine – the New Year holiday is a couple of weeks. But – no delivery with normal post before late march (from some places – not before the beginning of May) in worst case.

After a lot of key board research – I found a website in the UK that have 3 watts LED in the 740 nm range. Its time to refresh the knowledge of constructing LED fixtures again and build it by myself.

Report will come

But still – these T5 bulbs from Wave-point – they should have been perfect. I hope that the concept of adding far red will be popular so it could be possible to get this type of bulbs here in Europe.

New comparison between my two hystrix population.

Control population

180210 samman kontroll.jpg
Test population

180210-samman-test-.jpg

Sincerely Lasse

Rick.45cal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The test with Far Red gives not a clear result. Somethings happens - for sure - with my test hystrix but also with the corals around this test organism. Thre looks like its som differents between the the control and the test. A month ago i decided to walk the path of adding some wavelengths above 700 to my display - but how. I found a very interesting t5 tube from Wave-Point - the Coral Wave

It was exactly what i was looking for - but I could not find this bulb in Sweden or even in Europe. However - I found it at E-bay - but in the US. When I have decide something I normally make it happen - sometimes it is near genius - sometimes is near genius not the best word.

To order two T5 tubes for around $ 100 to be shipped across the US and further to Northern Europe and hope it will work – its normally way out from my optimistic brain – but if you want to test something that its perfect for your task – its difficult to stop. Of course – they were broken when they arrived – what did I aspect???

But they were well packed but there is a good chance that they have been transported through a war zone. The package had get a hit – and probably locked as a right angle before someone straighten it up.

Well – I wrote and told what´s happen and 3 day later I got my money back – but I did not want the money – I wanted the tubes – but they were wiser than me – I got the money – no replay - no impossible mission II.

What´s left – a virtual trip to the large country west of the US and their large website with the same name as I was named when I visit Morocco 10 years ago. Everyone with a white beard has that name there.

One problem only – they have copycat a Swedish habit to be free from work – we name it industry vacation – they call it Chines New Year. In our case – the whole country is more or less halted in production for 4 weeks – in Chine – the New Year holiday is a couple of weeks. But – no delivery with normal post before late march (from some places – not before the beginning of May) in worst case.

After a lot of key board research – I found a website in the UK that have 3 watts LED in the 740 nm range. Its time to refresh the knowledge of constructing LED fixtures again and build it by myself.

Report will come

But still – these T5 bulbs from Wave-point – they should have been perfect. I hope that the concept of adding far red will be popular so it could be possible to get this type of bulbs here in Europe.

Control population

Test population

180210-samman-test-.jpg

Sincerely Lasse

Now this has really piqued my curiosity. I’ll be very interested in what you discover. I’m due for a bulb change and currently torn in which direction I want to go, I may have a spot for one or two of those Wave point bulbs. I’d be interested to know what your hypothesis is about adding some light in the 740nm wavelegth will do.

OP
OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First – i have no clue if I´m on the right path or if its only speculations – that´s the reason why I was really interested of these bulbs. They add some wavelengths that you normally only find from MH and some low Kelvin white LED. There are other T5 bulbs (normally named pink) that have these wavelengths but the add a lot of 630 and 660 too. These bulbs add only actinic light and far red (700 – 850) actinic light is well-known as a growth factor and is normal use i heavily in reef aquariums. So these coral wave add only one unknown factor – 700 – 850 nm and I´m interested to know if this wavelengths has any impact on corals or not.

Its known from terrestrial plants that far red (normally 730 – 750 nm) has impact on growth pattern and that it’s a part of the transition between photosystem 1 and 2. Emerson enhanced effect is a well-known process.

However – do corals (or zooxanthella) have these abilities. It is not an easy question to answer because these wavelengths rapidly disappear with deep. Measurements we have done shows that of ingoing radiation of 725-735 nm – around 40 % reach 0.3 m: 20.5 % reach 0.6 m; 10.5 % reach 0.9 m; around 5 % reach 1.2 m and nearly the same amount will still be there at 1.5 m. In our measurements ingoing radiation (725 – 735 nm) was 4.27 micromole/ m2 and second.

For the whole span 700 – 800 nm – ingoing radiation was 24.24 micromole/ m2 and second. 38.7 % at 0.3 m; 22 % at 0.6 m; 13 % at 0.9 m and around 7.5 5 for 1.3 m and 1.5 m

The measurements were taken in a 10 000 litres reef in Gothenburg

This means that it’s not sure that corals have the ability to use the Emerson effect – especially at depths below 3 meters there this radiation from the sun is gone. However – recent reports stress that the well-known red florescence of deep water corals can have a role in this interesting process. The coral transform some of the blue light to useful red wavelengths.

My theories is a shoot from at least 50 km but different observations of different tanks with different illumination have rise this question.

I´m going to test with 730 – 740 nm but I will not have access to the whole band 700 – 800 nm.

@Rick.45cal If you decide to test these bulbs - please write about it - but I have not a clue if it is good or not

Sincerely Lasse

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Report will come

Control population

Test population

180210-samman-test-.jpg

Sincerely Lasse
I'm a LED guy, but this bulb has really got me curious now.

Now this has really piqued my curiosity. I’ll be very interested in what you discover. I’m due for a bulb change and currently torn in which direction I want to go, I may have a spot for one or two of those Wave point bulbs. I’d be interested to know what your hypothesis is about adding some light in the 740nm wavelegth will do.
Me too. I'm following this...

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a LED guy, but this bulb has really got me curious now.

Me too. I'm following this...

I believe the first discussion of the red light impact on corals started here.
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/lasses-dream-build.246188/page-29#post-4144047

Pbh-reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have read through this thread for the past few days, got to the end and now I need to go back and really READ it because so much of the chemistry/filtration went over my head. Your tank is beautiful and truly unique. It helps me think about what is possible. Hopefully as I do more research I'll have better understanding of what you're doing and how this tank works!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back