Lasses Dream Build

Mark Gray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lasse I had and have one now an under gravel reverse flow system, and yes had them all though the 80's LOL dang that was a long time ago

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Mark Gray

It still works in spite of what people thinking. And it will give a stable system. And I do not have it in my aquaria - it works like a remote DSB with reversed flow and its the bottom layer of my fuge

FTS of today

180113-FTS.jpg

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Me, Sallstrom and one other guy is doing some investigation about different wavelengths importance for the photosynthesis among corals. or at least one of them S.hystrix .

We are also going to see if far red – in this case 735 nm has any importance’s for the coral and I am especially interested to get any indications if this wavelength can alter the morphology of S.hystrix. The other question is if corals (in this case S.hystrix) can use the Emerson effect (induced by this wavelength).

However – the investigation is only in its cradle and its to early to even indicate some results, but I promise that we will come back with an article about these experiment – we have very good conditions for doing a good job with this. The goal is to construct a light (or a LED combination) for the new aquarium at sjöfartsmuseet in Gothenburg that’s is one of the best for corals and for running costs.

However – meanwhile I will report from my own – not so scientific – experiment according phenotypes and lack or access of far red (735 nm in my case)

I have a Pacific Sun 3*145 watts lighting – without white LED. I have notice that my S.hystrix will grow in a very dense pattern – like a hedgehog. On the other hand – the same clone grow in a very slender pattern below MH at the Museum. I took some of these slender S.hystrix and placed them in my aquarium with my lighting – and they show directly signs of growing like a hedgehog. I got some 735 LED an placed one of these just over one of these S.hystrix. Another S.Hystrix is situated in the other end of the aquarium getting no far red. The experiment has run for a month – and the question is – can I see any difference in the pattern? I think there is differences – yes – but is the differences the one I expected? I´m not sure – the experiment has to run for more time.

The pictures show the control and the test S.hytrix and the development for 1.5 months

Without 735 nm

samman-kontroll.jpg

With 735

samman-test.jpg

The test coral had gone a longer time in my aquarium before I got the control, hence it is more "bushy" in the start but I hope it will develope a more slender growth an that my control will be more "Bushy". But it seems that the test grow better in all ways just now

Sincerely Lasse

Last edited:

Tristren

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Me, Sallstrom and one other guy is doing some investigation about different wavelengths importance for the photosynthesis among corals. or at least one of them S.hystrix .​

We are also going to see if far red – in this case 735 nm has any importance’s for the coral and I am especially interested to get any indications if this wavelength can alter the morphology of S.hystrix. The other question is if corals (in this case S.hystrix) can use the Emerson effect (induced by this wavelength).

However – the investigation is only in its cradle and its to early to even indicate some results, but I promise that we will come back with an article about these experiment – we have very good conditions for doing a good job with this. The goal is to construct a light (or a LED combination) for the new aquarium at sjöfartsmuseet in Gothenburg that’s is one of the best for corals and for running costs.

However – meanwhile I will report from my own – not so scientific – experiment according phenotypes and lack or access of far red (735 nm in my case)

I have a Pacific Sun 3*145 watts lighting – without white LED. I have notice that my S.hystrix will grow in a very dense pattern – like a hedgehog. On the other hand – the same clone grow in a very slender pattern below MH at the Museum. I took some of these slender S.hystrix and placed them in my aquarium with my lighting – and they show directly signs of growing like a hedgehog. I got some 735 LED an placed one of these just over one of these S.hystrix. Another S.Hystrix is situated in the other end of the aquarium getting no far red. The experiment has run for a month – and the question is – can I see any difference in the pattern? I think there is differences – yes – but is the differences the one I expected? I´m not sure – the experiment has to run for more time.

The pictures show the control and the test S.hytrix and the development for 1.5 months

Without 735 nm

samman-kontroll.jpg

With 735

samman-test.jpg

The test coral had gone a longer time in my aquarium before I got the control, hence it is more "bushy" in the start but I hope it will develope a more slender growth an that my control will be more "Bushy". But it seems that the test grow better in all ways just now

Sincerely Lasse
Very interesting indeed. Though as you say, nothing conclusive yet.

Will this added red light affect anything else in the tank? Increase algae growth for example?

Cheers, Tony

OP
OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I normally have much redder (especially 660 nm) than reefers have normally. The 735 I ad for the moment is very local – it is luminating only a small volume of the aquaria. 735 do not penetrate very good into the water. Measurements that we have done show a more than 60 % tap already at 30 cm depth. At 100 cm depth – the tap is more than 95 %. The question has always been – can wavelengths higher than 700 have any importance for corals out in nature? Probably not, but have they lost/developed this ability despite the facts that these wavelengths disappear already at 1 m depth? With my gut – they do not have this ability to alter the photosynthesis with help of the Emerson effect - why should they? But gut and sciences is two different things and there is indications – at least for me – that these wavelengths can have importance in aquaria (there depths seldom exceeds 70 cm)

It has recently been showed that the saltwater plant eelgrass (Zostera marina) has lost the genes for the Emerson effect and should be rather interesting to know if this is true for corals too. In short – as I have understood this – the Emerson effect helps to optimize the photosynthesis and the cooperation between the two photosystems (680 and P700 – photosystem 2 and 1) And if it exist in at least some corals – it can explain some odd experiences off different light that I have there rather low PAR levels give some bad results according to burned corals

During the last 10 – 15 years I have seen many aquariums with different lightings and I have to say that it has looks like MH it’s a little bit outstanding compared with only LED to promote growth. Have in mind that I´m a person that have been working with LED for a long time and is a strong LED believer, but I have to admit this. There is also evidences that T5 tubes is effective to promote growth. And also, some LED systems.

Myself – I have a system without white (phosphorus coated LEDs) because I want to see the beautiful fluorescence of many corals without having a total blue aquarium. The growth is good, but I can´t understand why this 3*145-Watt armature not give me 3 times better results that I got from my 3 pcs of Coral Box Moon LED at 54 watts each. In reality – I could not run this at full effect without to burn some corals at the top. And I know a lot of people that has this experiences with this armature – they are more powerful that the watts say and what the PAR readings say. In this armature – it is a white 5 watts Cree LED.

T5 bulbs (the modern type) is not a full spectra lighting system – basically – there is a blue top, a green top and a red top. They content a lot of red – without gotten the rumour that red kill. Many of them also have some wavelengths around 736

MH give a lot of wavelengths between 400 and 700 but also a lot of far red and IR radiation

I notice a rather wired adaption of my S.hystrix when I introduce them into my aquarium from an other aquarium. The growth pattern gets enchanted. In the first aquarium – a slender growth – MH with far red) – in my aquarium without ant wavelengths over 700 nm – a bushy growing pattern. In another aquarium – with phosphorus coated LED and hence some far red – the growth was something between – and the these two aquariums had the same water.

The question is - can 730 nm change the speed of photosynthesis and make it more effective?

Another question – is green light important for the growth rate and photosynthesis? It’s true that there is no type of chlorophyll that peak at these wavelengths we call green and that a green plant is green because the photons is reflected. But its also known that there are co-systems that can pick up different wavelengths and transfer them to usable quanta so green is maybe not the most effective wavelengths but in some way, they are linked to the photosynthesis. Its known – from terrestrial plants that green can penetrate rather deep in the tissue and hence provide some help for the photosynthesis in deeper layer.

There is also some prove for green photons can go trough leaves and hence make some photosynthesis rather low in the canopy. I got an idea – I can test that. I took my headlight (a strong phosphorus coated white LED) and hold it above a rather thick green leave from one of my wife's potted plants. The result you can see in the pictures below. From the upper side – there is reflecting many green photons – because the green colour of the leaf.

test1.jpg

But how its look on the backside of the leaf – there is no light or reflected green photons there. If all photons are reflected (green) or absorbed (all others) it should be black on the backside. If the backside has any colour in this experiment – it means that the photons of that special wavelengths (read colour) has travel through the leaf – look self for the result.

test2.jpg

I have never, ever before proved a theory so easy as I did in this case. Green photons can travel through plants cells in a way that others do not! It means that leaves further down in a tree can use green wavelengths – the red and blue is already absorbed.

Has this importance’s for stony corals – I think so. If it can travel down in a cell structure – it can work in the deeper layers and be reflected of the white skeleton.

I hope you can follow my thoughts above and get an idea why I think that its important to investigate this.

We will do some experiments with monochrome wavelengths of 400, 420, 450, 535, 630,660 and white phosphorus coated LED of 6500 K. During a certain time we will measure the oxygen production of (in the first run) S.hystrix and link this to produced oxygen/gram coral. We have got some primarily results, but we are also rebuilding the test apparatus according to results and with help of other persons with high knowledge of this to do a good test with reliable results. Its to early to say anything yet but we are going to publish the results here at R2R when we think that we can stand for the results

We will also investigate if there is a Emerson effect within corals and for every tested wavelength

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many people are afraid to put in some new stones or corals because of the risk to introduce something that you do not want to have. I’m not so afraid of that. I know that my clean-up crew will direct inspect the newcomer in order to find something to eat. This picture is taken 5 minutes after the introduction of this coral in my aquarium. They clean it up from all eatable things in half an hour

hermits.jpg

Are there anyone around that knows something about the corals that live on this stone. Its bought as ricordea – but I´m not sure – it could be a mini-maxi anemone too.

Sincerely Lasse

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

ramona

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice Lasse. Keep sharing with us the secrets of the undersea's beauty.

OP
OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice Lasse. Keep sharing with us the secrets of the undersea's beauty.

Yea - I´ll try to put my 5 cent into the knowledge of rising animals in a glass box for the rest of my life :)

Sincerely Lasse

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 11 26.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 34 81.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 16.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.8%
Back