OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Double post so I'll use this to say that I'm leaning towards getting and oxydator as well. I just have to decide where to place it.

Do you have suggestions in that regard?

Cheers, Tony

Many persons have them in the Display tank but IMO - they ate not the most beautiful equipment you can have in the DT. I have mine in the same apartment as my return pump. It’s not so much height of water in that apartment so its situated there it’s a strong water movement and just before the intake of the return pump. My thought is that residue H2O2 will be sucked up of the return pump and be very good mixed in the DT. If I get a power break down I move the Oxydator to the DT. If you have it in the DT – its good if you get a power cut then you not at home.

GOD JUL

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interested as well. Can you send a few pics of your oxydator?

It will come - but just at the moment my wife and son is preparing our Christmas smorgasbord (julbord) in front of the aquarium and if I came near them – I will not get any Christmas gifts

Sincerely Lasse

Tristren

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many persons have them in the Display tank but IMO - they ate not the most beautiful equipment you can have in the DT. I have mine in the same apartment as my return pump. It’s not so much height of water in that apartment so its situated there it’s a strong water movement and just before the intake of the return pump. My thought is that residue H2O2 will be sucked up of the return pump and be very good mixed in the DT. If I get a power break down I move the Oxydator to the DT. If you have it in the DT – its good if you get a power cut then you not at home.

GOD JUL

Sincerely Lasse

Thanks, God Jul och Gott Nytt År!

OP
OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Three reasons - why not ozone
  1. its depends on electricity - does not work as an oxygenator during power breakdowns
  2. It can toxicate human beings (and cats :))
  3. It eats skimmers
Sincerely Lasse

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Three reasons - why not ozone
  1. its depends on electricity - does not work as an oxygenator during power breakdowns
  2. It can toxicate human beings (and cats :))
  3. It eats skimmers
Sincerely Lasse
Interesting, and good to know:)

ramona

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cann't believe I read 37 pages first day of this year. Once started I just couldn't stop. Awesome tank.
Happy New Year from Kentucky!

Do you dip or Quarantine the corals, fish or inverts prior placing in DT?

OP
OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you

Of some reasons the quarantine protocol for fishes is not very common in Sweden. Maybe because there is a ban of sending vertebrates through normal transport inside Sweden - it is needed special educated drivers and special vehicle for that if the transport is commercial - in private - for your self - you can transport. It means that you have to pick up your fishes in a LFS and can inspect them there before purchase.

I do not use to quarantine my fishes - my arguments for not doing that is rather alike PaulB:s - however - I do not put any fishes in the DT that shows signs of sickness. However - the last purchases has been placed in my fuge for a couple of weeks prior to placing in the DT. It has worked rather well - there is a lot of pods in the fuge and lot of hiding places. However - I do not place any wrasses in the fuge - I have a 20 cm DSB in there :) I did it once but it took some time before that wrasse found its way to the DT :)

Corals can be send through normal channels and some persons use to dip them before introduction. I do not. In this case - I have chosen my inhabitant´s in a way that they together eat most smaller animals and algae. If I place a new stone or coral in my DT - it takes normally one day before its total cleaned of algae and other things. My hermits its eating on them before I have taken away my fingertops!

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A hard day's night as the song goes.

Today I decided to dig out my RDSB (and also my fuge) because I put Siporax in the bottom when I started the aquarium. This was not the best idea I got in my head because I have got ridicules high levels of Si – last Triton test show 17 000 microgram (17 ppm)! I has also noted that it looks like I get precipitation of Si on my stones and the front glass. I do not realy know if it is the Siporax that is responsible for this but its candidate number 1 and I do not have any runner up either.

The sand bed was 20 cm thick and with old day bottom filter plates in the bottom. I have had a slow reversed flow through the bed and put down some skimate below the bed.

When I start to dig – I was very surprised – the bed was very clean – no signs of organic matters and no black parts. Smell fresh all the way down. I know that I have a flow through it so the construction seems to have worked better than I thought. It has run for 1.7 years

1 picture shows most of my siporax – clean after 17 month! Direct from the DSB!

siporax-17-months-dsb.jpg

2 picture shows my coral sand – clean after 17 months - direct from the upper bed

sand-17-month-dsb.jpg

3 picture shows the dirtiest part

most-dirty-17-months-dsb.jpg

4 picture shows when the digging was finished

bottom.jpg

5 picture shows the new material I put down

new-bottom.jpg

One of my many worries was to disturb the bed and have it to function again and also save some of my pods. I decided not to clean the sand – up – away with Siporax – and down into the fuge again.

Because I took away 15 kilo sand and siporax – I had to add new coral sand.

However – I reconstruct my reverse flow and will run as much as 300 litre/hour in the beginning – I must have the bed dirty!

Now I will continue my plan and some WC – the plan is 6 x 50 litres for 2 weeks. After that – a new Triton test. I will use Tritons pure salt 2.0

Sincerely Lasse

Mandelstam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow that looks like you could have put that sand and siporax just a few days ago!

How much flow did you have through the bed before remaking it? Sorry if you have already mentioned it before.

Mark Gray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow the siporax looks really clean I will admit I have not read this whole thread so I am going to ask, are you running an under gravel filter? or just piping for flow through you sand

OP
OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Mark Gray I´m running the DSB as a typ of reverse under gravel filter. Before in a low flow but for the moment rather more flow than before. app. 300 - 500 l/h. The pipes is for taking down water and to have probes for pH and Redox in the water below the old gravel filters. The water is pressed down in one of the pipes – going in below the plates and up through the bed. Just now a high rate so it will be dirty. The system is a cross over between the Monaco system and the reversed under gravel filter by EHEIM (during the 80:ties).

@Brew12 They are growing but I can´t say anything more because there has gone to less time. I´m also change the environment through take down the Si level - I think it will take at least 2 - 3 months more before I can say anything.

@ramona Common coral cross for calcium reactors

Sincerely Lasse

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are growing but I can´t say anything more because there has gone to less time. I´m also change the environment through take down the Si level - I think it will take at least 2 - 3 months more before I can say anything.
Thank you Lasse. I'm absolutely fascinated that it may be possible to substantially alter the growth pattern of SPS based on the amount of red light available.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 21.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 34.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.1%
Back