Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Dana Riddle

This is a part of my test ideas according if the absence of certain wavelenghts is able to change the growth pattern of birds nest. I did discuss this in these two threads before - here and here. Here, I start the discussion of this experiment in my thread. Post 606 is the start of this experiment

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amazing tank, very beautiful! Pls post a full tank shot! I was never a fan of the foam backs, but yours has me reconsidering.

Thank you - will post a FTS tomorrow - its 00:23 (o:33 AM) here - and the tank is dark :)

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A new FTS

FTS.jpg

Now it is time for me to test my theories about growth pattern and Far Red. The most wonderful things with LED: s is that there is a possibility to test the influence of certain wavelengths. My armature is a Pacific Sun without phosphorus coated LEDs. During the lasts months I also run 2 T5 tubes – Red Seas actinic tubes. My light do not content any wavelengths over 690 – 700 nm-. Has never done in this aquarium – exception a short period a year ago.

I have notice that especially my birds nest shows up a growth pattern that is very compact. During this autumn I have introduced Birds Nest from an aquarium there they have a very slender growth. When they have been in my aquarium for 2 – 3 weeks – they start to branches and grow in a compact manner. One of these frags has been in my aquarium for over 10 weeks and is rather compact. It is placed in one of my corners, rather high up.

test-coral.jpg

The evil plan is now to put a LED source containing wavelengths around 720 - 740 nm directly over this coral.

I get a 10 W COB emitter of 720 – 740 nm and have placed this just 20 cm above this coral. I will run this emitter for 7.5 hours a day and just notice what´s happen – if something happens at all. The pictures show my construction

far-red-1.jpg

far-red-2.jpg

far-red-3.jpg

Far-Red-4.jpg

Far-Red-5.jpg

Sincerely Lasse

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A new FTS

FTS.jpg

Now it is time for me to test my theories about growth pattern and Far Red. The most wonderful things with LED: s is that there is a possibility to test the influence of certain wavelengths. My armature is a Pacific Sun without phosphorus coated LEDs. During the lasts months I also run 2 T5 tubes – Red Seas actinic tubes. My light do not content any wavelengths over 690 – 700 nm-. Has never done in this aquarium – exception a short period a year ago.

I have notice that especially my birds nest shows up a growth pattern that is very compact. During this autumn I have introduced Birds Nest from an aquarium there they have a very slender growth. When they have been in my aquarium for 2 – 3 weeks – they start to branches and grow in a compact manner. One of these frags has been in my aquarium for over 10 weeks and is rather compact. It is placed in one of my corners, rather high up.

test-coral.jpg

The evil plan is now to put a LED source containing wavelengths around 720 - 740 nm directly over this coral.

I get a 10 W COB emitter of 720 – 740 nm and have placed this just 20 cm above this coral. I will run this emitter for 7.5 hours a day and just notice what´s happen – if something happens at all. The pictures show my construction

far-red-1.jpg

far-red-2.jpg

far-red-3.jpg

Far-Red-4.jpg

Far-Red-5.jpg

Sincerely Lasse
I can't wait to see the results of this.

Have you noticed this possible effect on any other corals?

OP
OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you noticed this possible effect on any other corals?

Not so clearly as with birds nest but there is other corals that not grow the way I have seen in other aquariums. The problem for me at the moment is that I probably have to change water one or another day (have not changed for a year). But I will wait as long as possible with this and there is other birds nest growing like the one in the experiment but out off reach for my new wavelengths. If I have to change water (and the water by its self is responsible for this bushy growth) all Birds nest will react the same way

Sincerely Lasse

count krunk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why do you think you can change the water so much less that most typically do? Your DSB experiment? Or a combination of things you have done with this tank. Quite a few methods I have not seen before. I know at one point you hoped to run this tank without a skimmer, have you done that yet?

Tank looking great, and that is the most compact birds nest I have seen by far

OP
OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why do you think you can change the water so much less that most typically do? Your DSB experiment? Or a combination of things you have done with this tank. Quite a few methods I have not seen before. I know at one point you hoped to run this tank without a skimmer, have you done that yet?

Tank looking great, and that is the most compact birds nest I have seen by far

I have adapt some of the Triton method and I try to send in test every three month or so. Yes I think that all of this put together make my system more stable.

According to skimmerless - I have leaved this for the moment. IMO - the skimmer is the most important equipment we have according to gas exchange and to keep oxygens levels but i do not like it taking out skimmate. I have solved this dilemma through very dry skimming (the cup will not normally be filled in one month) but a lot of air. I changed out my old Deltec to a Coral Box 500 + with the new controller and with a level switch in the cup. It has risen my aeration and gas exchange a lot. In the future I hope I will be able to measure oxygen and to get some data according to oxygen levels day and night. I have not still start my experiment with CO2 but my brain is thinking of this all the time. First – I will try to figure out if 730 – 740 nm has any importance’s whatever

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In order to follow up what happens or what not happens with my coral when I add 6 hours of 740 nm to just this part of the aquarium - I will try to take a similar photo every 5 - 7:th day. Photo 1 after 5 day

20171214-coral.jpg

The same coral 1 months ago

branches-6-week-jpg.612745

1 1/2 month ago

branching-jpg.603007

As you can see - it was rather slender when I got it and has slowly been more branched. Interesting to see if there will be any change the coming months.

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not really present my fishes and why I have them. I´ll try to better in this way and I will start and present a very calm and friendly fish Zoramia leptacantha

It has been one of my favourites for many years – its not fish of bright colours but it has a beautifulness that few fishes live up to. There is many different colours making them like butterflies – the colour depends on light and the angel of incoming light .

It is a sensitive species according to long transports and stress in the new environment but when they have acclimated itself – they are hardy and friendly. They are often together in small gatherings – they are normally not shoaling – if you use the scientific term – but form small groups that react independently to each other.

I have four and I plan to get some more

Some photos

1.jpg

2.jpg

Sincerely Lasse

Last edited:

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Very nice! Love it Lasse!

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 155 67.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back