Lasses Dream Build

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have read through this thread for the past few days, got to the end and now I need to go back and really READ it because so much of the chemistry/filtration went over my head. Your tank is beautiful and truly unique. It helps me think about what is possible. Hopefully as I do more research I'll have better understanding of what you're doing and how this tank works!
Some day this thread needs to be turned into a book! The breadth and depth of knowledge in this one thread is amazing.

OP
OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you both.

Yea - I´m rather pleased with it but everything is not perfect - the last week my small, small white tube worms have disappeared, and I can´t really understand why. I have not introduced anything that I know eats them. It has not been very much of them in this aquarium – they have been limited to one place – hence – there is probably something that eat them.

Some corals do not go very well – the reason unknown – others goes better than I seen before. A trio orange (at least) Ricordea do very well – it’s a mushroom I have had some problems with in the past

My PO4 has gone done to zero (Hanna low phosphate) but I must clean my windows every third to second day – therefore – I do not suspect a PO4 shortage. I will lower the carbon dosing for a couple of days.

But overall – it works rather good for the moment.

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some pictures

blenny.jpg

gobie.jpg

Sincerely Lasse

Pbh-reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some day this thread needs to be turned into a book! The breadth and depth of knowledge in this one thread is amazing.

Totally agree - it also offers a very valuable perspective on the livestock in the tank, I so appreciate Lass' love for his snails and crabs and tiny tube worms, which comes through in all the photos and words. I'd never appreciated cardinal fish before this thread!

OP
OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you

Cardinals - many of them fragile in transport but hardy when they have adapted to aquarium. Peacefully (most of them) and rather interesting behaviour. They are mouthbrooders and most of them are possible to bring up in captivity. They are the Tetras of saltwater.

cardinals.jpg

Talking about tube worms – it looks like they just did not want to show up for a couple of days – now I can see some there they were before.

More than one year ago – I put in one sea cumber – probably a tiger tail – its was rathe small and I have seen him/her now and when. I was a little bit surprised when I saw two ends – 40 cm apart and get a little bit afraid of this huge animal. Suddenly I realized that I was looking at two sea cucumber faces. One had become two. However – lately – I have discovered that one of them probably is +30 cm long. So now I´m afraid of a huge sea cucumber again - but it is a very good sand cleaner

sea-cucumber.jpg

Another beloved one

hawk-anthias.jpg

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the hawk, mine is very shy! :)
... I have no idea how many tiger tails I have now, they divide and carry on about their business!

This time I have been happy to have two of them in the same aquaria. I did not see the first one for 2 months - that's the reason why its two :). But it works very well in my aquaria

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In another thread has rise the claim that macro algae in a fuge are able to control (or depress) different unwanted benthic microalgae in the DT by a process named allelopathy and therefore - using a fuge can be risky and that these chemical could affect corals too.

At least in my aquaria - there is not any evidence that support this. I have a fuge - about 10% the volume of my aquaria. 99 % chaeto - works rather well. My DT has no problem with algae - but IMO that´s because of all of my grazers - and not because of some released chemicals from my macro algae. How can I stress this. I have unwanted algae in my DT - bubble algae - but only at two certain locations. Common denominator for these locations are that my grazers can´t reach the algae at these places. If my "algae free" DT is mainly caused by substances released from my fuge - I should not find this bubble algae either.

bubbl1.jpg

bubble2.jpg

The algae has been in these places for around 15 months

Sincerely Lasse

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lasse,

Thanks for updating your thread.

Your comment on grazers reminded me of Richard Ross's Macna talk that BRS recently posted. He discusses running phosphates at > 1.5 rather than normal 0.03. He mentioned that he had no algae in the display until he removed his foxface for picking on a clam. When grazers were re-added, visible algae disappeared.

OP
OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Enough large and variable clean up crew is the most important factor for long time success with a reef IMO. Algae (and especially micro algae) are masters of using low nutrient levels - even in levels below 0.03 of PO4 they can compete with corals about P. I once read about a experiment there they took away all urchins and other grazers from a part of a reef. I did not took long time before some macro algae dominate that part of the reef. I have always at least one urchin - and i prefer the variants with black long spins.

I always introduce the clean up crew a day or two after the first fish. And I run my light for full days (10 - 12 h) - maybe with lower intensity - but full days directly after the introduction of 1 fish and clean up crew. I also always start with one fish after a couple of days - feeding very, very low the first three weeks - only a couple of grown up frozen artemia every 3 days the first week, the same amount each second day for week 2 and the same low feeding but every day for week 3. Some people got their coffee in the wrong throat right now - I can hear it across the Atlantic :)

Sincerely Lasse

zieg9479

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Enough large and variable clean up crew is the most important factor for long time success with a reef IMO. Algae (and especially micro algae) are masters of using low nutrient levels - even in levels below 0.03 of PO4 they can compete with corals about P. I once read about a experiment there they took away all urchins and other grazers from a part of a reef. I did not took long time before some macro algae dominate that part of the reef. I have always at least one urchin - and i prefer the variants with black long spins.
Agreed. By the way, you might be referring to Robert Paine's classic work in the 70s on community dynamics of the Pacific US. His work laid the foundation for ideas like keystone predators. More starfish -> less urchins -> more kelp. Or no starfish -> more urchins -> no kelp. The same was seen a decade or so ago in the Caribbean when an urchin disease led to overgrowth of algae and corals being choked out.

Anyway I came onto this thread to see how you're getting along with the wave point t5s. I just purchased their fixture to mitigate LED shadowing issues and found that particular bulb intriguing.

OP
OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@zieg9479 I´m sorry to say - I had to give up using their bulbs because I can´t get them in Europe. I was order two from the US but they did not survive the transport - they were broken when they arrived. I got my money back (and also freight, VAT and import tariffs).

I´m not complaining but very sorry that I can´t test this - IMO - genius "out off the box" product.

However - I have order 20 pcs of 3 watts LED - 740 nm - and will go back to basic and build me my own Far Red source - the idea is not dead and buried yet :) Still - I do not know if I´m on the right path here, but I want to test. I have run one 735 nm 10 W LED since 10-12-2017 over some of my corals and my overall experiences - at least - its not adversely and I can see some differences if I compare a test hystrix with a control specimen in the other side of the aquaria. And I think that I can see a rather dramatic change of growth of one acropora in the periphery of the area illuminated by 735 nm. However - have no start picture and no control specimen of this species. I have noted an accelerated growth in the whole aquaria in the same time but the growth pattern of my other hystrix has not change - however - the one below the 735 nm shows some signs of a different growth pattern compared with before - but it is not a Heureka effect for the moment

Sincerely Lasse

teller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi @Lasse, in one other thread you said something like we can "refugium overdose".
Can you detailed what you meant?
Too big? To much light duration?
Compete with corals for nutrients/macro/trace elements?
What your thoughts?
I have fuge 100% Chaeto.
Thanks.

OP
OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:) It was what we in Sweden call a "Brasklapp" (English explanation here). With other words it is a type of reservation. It refers to the findings that Macro algae release rather much of different types of sugar - and that they can act as organic carbon source for bacteria. Before this discussion - I was not aware of that it can be in such large amounts as different papers indicate. In that sentence - a to large biomass of macro algae can lead to an overdose of organic carbon causing bacteria bloom.

I also think that you can "overdose" in other ways too - with todays effective lights - you can get a high growth rate - depleting the water from nutrients and some trace elements. I have heard about Chaeto reactors here in Sweden that totally depleting all P and N from the water column. I always run some NO3 dosing and iodine dosing. i think its wise to have a dimming function on your refugium light - hence its possible to adjust the growth by limiting the light energy.

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@najer Back in the 80:ties me and a friend have two similar Tanganyika aquariums - same size, same fish and so on. I had problem with my fish - they did not want to survive but his fishes was doing fine and had a high reproduction rate. Another friend ask him why the fish survive in his aquarium but the same fishes died in my. His answer has been a classic answer and it was - I haven´t a singel clue why my fishes survive but if you ask Lasse - he can in detail explain why his fishes don not make it, but they still die :) :) :)

Sincerely Lasse

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back