Lasses Dream Build

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got my latest Triton test today.

Some not so good figures - i have around 8 pbt Cu, and nearly the same amount of Zn. For Zn - I have probably an explanation - because of dry skin - I use skin softener. The Cu - however - I do not really understand but I will test one thing later on.

The P value is probably because of particles because the PO4 read all the time between 0.05 - 0,15 ppm

Sincerely Lasse[/QUOTE

I just did my first ICP test. High on Iodine. I think the foods I feed. Low on Ca, Mg, etc.. going to use real ocean water, soon,used by major aquariums here. We'll see.

I just did my first ICP test. High on Iodine. I think the foods I feed. Low on Ca, Mg, etc.. going to use real ocean water, soon,used by major aquariums here. We'll see.

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got my latest Triton test today.

Some not so good figures - i have around 8 pbt Cu, and nearly the same amount of Zn. For Zn - I have probably an explanation - because of dry skin - I use skin softener. The Cu - however - I do not really understand but I will test one thing later on.

The P value is probably because of particles because the PO4 read all the time between 0.05 - 0,15 ppm

Sincerely Lasse
Lasse, if you can, send in a sample of algae juice , I wonder what will come up?

OP
OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use triton regularly as well and every time I seem to get one high seemingly random figure, sometimes tin, then copper on next test, not sure if it’s testing irregularities or what, but your levels are not scarily high anyway... rusting magnets have caused me lots of issues in the past and the firs things I check... your iodine is zero as well, do you not dose or not feel the need to?

Yes - there is random high or low figures - therefore I never be upset with single measurements. However - zink and copper issues has been for the whole year - not extreme high - but they are there. Yes - I will check some magnets.

@Jomama - I think that the high P come from the use of Jomama juice.

Sincerely Lasse

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes - there is random high or low figures - therefore I never be upset with single measurements. However - zink and copper issues has been for the whole year - not extreme high - but they are there. Yes - I will check some magnets.

Sincerely Lasse
Here's a new one, I have a Eheim pump from 1992?, went to use, after 3 days got shocked, lightly.
Had copper desolving into aquarium too. Maybe a pump? Maybe?

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Sincerely Lasse
Maybe your grandkids try to feed fish with zinc bolt?

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found an old picture of my setup 1983

Screenshot_2018-12-10-19-18-01-1-1.png

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a new one, I have a Eheim pump from 1992?, went to use, after 3 days got shocked, lightly.
Had copper desolving into aquarium too. Maybe a pump? Maybe?
Found an old picture of my setup 1983

Screenshot_2018-12-10-19-18-01-1-1.png
I'm yanking your chain, it's photo I found on the net.

Gregg @ ADP

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Lasse

Again, thank you for this thread. You have encouraged me to build more holistic filtration designs.

As you know, I’m incorporating your ‘bottom-up’ denitrifying bed into an existing filter for a 1500 L reef with a heavy fish load. I built the plenum base and installed it the other day, without any substrate on top of it. Just wanted to get an idea of how much water flowed up through it with all drain water going through the drain chamber.

The way the flow distributed and the rate with at which it moved up through the space with ~8000 lph going through it leads me to believe that I can accomplish my goals even with ~3000-3300 lph. The key to pushing that much flow through and achieving a nearly, if not totally, anoxic state before the water reaches the void space by using the ‘top-down’ drain chamber as a big mixed media bed and hopefully having enough SA to strip all available O2 by the time it begins to flow into the void space.

I’ll probably finish it this week, so I’ll send some pics. I’ll let you know how it works. Thanks again.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all

The result you can see here

time 0.JPG

What it say - I´m not really sure Total N is 1.88 ppm and my read NO3 (Red SEA Pro) was 6 - it means that a part of the analysed N was in other forms - probably organic forms. My P value was rather high and my measured PO4 was 0.1 (Hanna Low Phosphate) even here - there is a surplus of P - probably organic forms. I feed the aquaria with around 75 ml juice (Jomama juice :) every night (juice done by mixing Chaeto) IMO - with this in mind - my TOC was low - around 7.5 mg/l

However - m
ost important -- I have these figures in spite of the fact that my aquaria looks good :) I think I need some more measurements in order to understan and use this new tool

Sincerely Lasse

Salahunreal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leak test done - no leak. Capacity test – the system manage a turnover of 4000 l/h with no problem. Function test –

Sincerely Lasse

Hi Lasse
Still working on my setup and wanted to ask since I'm planning to go with Triton I'll need to to plan for 7-10 times turnover between DT and sump. Total water volum is about 450l. What is your drain and return pipe size and what was the return pump speed when you got 4000lps? I'm aiming to that turnover if possible.

Thanks

OP
OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your TOC seems slightly higher than the set point but the C appears to be quite low. So does this mean your DOC are low but TOC are high?

No - I think that my DOC is higher than their set point but my TIC (total inorganic carbon) - here expressed as TCO2 and the alkalinity is low.

But - I do not understand the table fully out - because their setpoint for TCO2 is 27 mg/l, for TOC 4 mg/l but only 29 mg/l fot TC IMO 27+4 = 31 - not 29.

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Lasse
Still working on my setup and wanted to ask since I'm planning to go with Triton I'll need to to plan for 7-10 times turnover between DT and sump. Total water volum is about 450l. What is your drain and return pipe size and what was the return pump speed when you got 4000lps? I'm aiming to that turnover if possible.

Thanks

I based my calculation of 4000 l/h on my return pumps capacity. It is not total true because when I re calculate the flow with the actual type of plumbing I use (90 degree turns and so on) - the real flow is about 2200 l/h. I use 32 mm PVC both up and down. 1 pressure tubing of 32 mm up and one 32 mm siphon down + one 32 mm emergency/balance pipe down. During normal run my siphon is not fully open - I adjust it with a membrane valve. 32 mm plastic pipe in Europe correspond to 1 " in the US

I think that you maybe can find a calculation tool in English - if you can´t send a PM to me and I send you a tool in Swedish that you probably is able to translate :)

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now I will tell a very interesting story. On of my pyjamas cardinals have shown a protruding eye. It got larger and larger. It act normal but the eye ball come out more and more. The eye was clear - no sign of infection. It look terrible and I can´t rule out a parasite (there is another cardinal (not a pyjamas) that have a similar thing going on) I´m a little bit worried that i could be a parasite. I want the fish out ASP. But everyone that have seen my tank understand that this is not an easy task with a fish that is not lethargic. When I remember a study about a fish parasite that have birds as final hosts (and there is one fis eye parasite that have this). The parasite get the fish to react to light, hence go up to near the surface - and in that way be a good catch for fish eating birds. I decide to test an old trick - wait until night and use a flash lamp. It is a good trick if you know there the fish hide or if they do not hide. Pyjamas do hide normally - I did not really thought that I could catch him/her. Yesterday I test - and I did not see any fish at all. I look in caves and so on - there was fish but impossible to catch - no one in open space. But suddenly one fish come out and swim against the light - guess who. I was able to have the fish swim there I want him/her with help of moving the light and just easily catch him/her with the net. The other cardinal with a protruding eye is very sky - but I will wait and see. It is a fantastic story and a question arise - was I lucky or was it pure science :)

Sincerely Lasse

Mortie31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now I will tell a very interesting story. On of my pyjamas cardinals have shown a protruding eye. It got larger and larger. It act normal but the eye ball come out more and more. The eye was clear - no sign of infection. It look terrible and I can´t rule out a parasite (there is another cardinal (not a pyjamas) that have a similar thing going on) I´m a little bit worried that i could be a parasite. I want the fish out ASP. But everyone that have seen my tank understand that this is not an easy task with a fish that is not lethargic. When I remember a study about a fish parasite that have birds as final hosts (and there is one fis eye parasite that have this). The parasite get the fish to react to light, hence go up to near the surface - and in that way be a good catch for fish eating birds. I decide to test an old trick - wait until night and use a flash lamp. It is a good trick if you know there the fish hide or if they do not hide. Pyjamas do hide normally - I did not really thought that I could catch him/her. Yesterday I test - and I did not see any fish at all. I look in caves and so on - there was fish but impossible to catch - no one in open space. But suddenly one fish come out and swim against the light - guess who. I was able to have the fish swim there I want him/her with help of moving the light and just easily catch him/her with the net. The other cardinal with a protruding eye is very sky - but I will wait and see. It is a fantastic story and a question arise - was I lucky or was it pure science :)

Sincerely Lasse
I’ll store this method in my memory banks and try in the future, do cardinals have a strong and reproducible relationship with the moon and spawning?

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 1 3.8%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 19 73.1%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 19.2%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 3.8%
Back