Lasses Dream Build

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I blow it away yesterday - normally it would be as much as before the day after - not in this case - there was some very small patches left - and they get a blow today. No cyanobacteria in the refugium. ORP slowly up to around 320 mV as highest.

Screen Shot 07-31-19 at 05.36 PM.PNG

Sincerely Lasse
Speaking of ORP... I lost my Null Plug so I can't calibrate my probe.... ;Facepalm

I need to make one so I can see what my ORP is doing again.

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Lasse - Question on your Oxgenator because I am using one also. And I do 12 AWC a day on the tank. I seem not to be able to get my ORP above 225. I am using 6% and 2 Catalyst, should I be worried about this? Should I go to 3 Catalyst? Just verifying if I am doing this correctly. I am using a A Oxgenator on a 125 gallon tank with 2 catalyst at 6%. I fill it one inch and I have to replace it every 4-5 days.

OP
OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I´m normally filling the whole container up (I think it is 250 ml) Total around 90 gallon. I takes around 3 weeks with 6 %. You can try with 9 % (or 3 catalyst at 6 %) but look at your tank closely. For the moment I think I have 9 % (around) and 3 catalyst. I seems like it works. Will update to 12 % soon

Sincerely Lasse

Mortie31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Lasse - Question on your Oxgenator because I am using one also. And I do 12 AWC a day on the tank. I seem not to be able to get my ORP above 225. I am using 6% and 2 Catalyst, should I be worried about this? Should I go to 3 Catalyst? Just verifying if I am doing this correctly. I am using a A Oxgenator on a 125 gallon tank with 2 catalyst at 6%. I fill it one inch and I have to replace it every 4-5 days.
Sorry to crash the answer, I use 12% and 2 catalysts in a W in a 200g system, I have no issues at all my ORP is generally 350 ish with no mechanical filtration

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to crash the answer, I use 12% and 2 catalysts in a W in a 200g system, I have no issues at all my ORP is generally 350 ish with no mechanical filtration
If I can crash too... how often do you have to refill, and does yours float to let you know its empty?

Mortie31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I can crash too... how often do you have to refill, and does yours float to let you know its empty?
I fill it completely and it lasts 6 weeks or so and yes it does float, I usually here it knocking into my sump baffles

Tristren

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I´m normally filling the whole container up (I think it is 250 ml) Total around 90 gallon. I takes around 3 weeks with 6 %. You can try with 9 % (or 3 catalyst at 6 %) but look at your tank closely. For the moment I think I have 9 % (around) and 3 catalyst. I seems like it works. Will update to 12 % soon

Sincerely Lasse
I learned something today I always thought you only filled it up to the 1 inch mark..

This will make it a bit easier on maintenance.
Got to love when people talk about oxydators, I would never run a tank without them! :)
Love my oxydator as well!

Seeing as you are all here (just missing @atoll ) and @Lasse has invited party crashers...

I'm running an Oxydator A with 12% and 2 catalysts in my ~150G/~500l system with plenty of organic waste... and my ORP is consistently well above 500.

I have re-calibrated (GHL) a couple of times and it behaves normally. Starts off low (relative to my normal) and creeps up over a couple of weeks. It fluctuates inverse to my PH (which I have trouble getting up over 8). The dip in this chart of the last week, at 9pm on the 28th, is when my Emerald Crab died.

ORP_July-2019.PNG

I'm not sure how much to attribute to my Oxydator actually, because I don't see that an immediate impact when it runs out. And I'm sure there have been times when a few days to a week has gone by with it empty.

So anyone have thoughts on this? I know that ORP isn't a number to chase, is of debatable use etc etc. But from everything I've seen these numbers are very unusual. Any idea why this would be the case for me? Is there a number at which I should become concerned?

Cheers, Tony

Mortie31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seeing as you are all here (just missing @atoll ) and @Lasse has invited party crashers...

I'm running an Oxydator A with 12% and 2 catalysts in my ~150G/~500l system with plenty of organic waste... and my ORP is consistently well above 500.

I have re-calibrated (GHL) a couple of times and it behaves normally. Starts off low (relative to my normal) and creeps up over a couple of weeks. It fluctuates inverse to my PH (which I have trouble getting up over 8). The dip in this chart of the last week, at 9pm on the 28th, is when my Emerald Crab died.

ORP_July-2019.PNG

I'm not sure how much to attribute to my Oxydator actually, because I don't see that an immediate impact when it runs out. And I'm sure there have been times when a few days to a week has gone by with it empty.

So anyone have thoughts on this? I know that ORP isn't a number to chase, is of debatable use etc etc. But from everything I've seen these numbers are very unusual. Any idea why this would be the case for me? Is there a number at which I should become concerned?

Cheers, Tony
Your 500 figure seems high to me, when you say you have calibrated it a few times, over what time period is this? I ask this as if I don’t calibrate both my ph and orp probes monthly values will drift upwards.

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got to love when people talk about oxydators, I would never run a tank without them! :)

I was waiting for you to add this comment! If I had a nickel for everytime I've seen you post your "oxydator endorsement" I might have enough to buy some stock in an oxydator company. ;)

OP
OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

ORP_July-2019.PNG

Cheers, Tony
500 mV seems to be rather high - have you seen any disadvantages to your corals? IMO - the placement of electrode probes can effect the measurements. I have mine in a high flow area - I.e. the return flow just pass through them. For the salinity probe - it make difference.

The rise - to around 9 % and 3 catalyst have not affected my corals as I can see it. I will rise to around 12 % and 3 catalyst today. My pH - ORP for the last week. I rise the H2O2 dose in the evening of 30/7

Screen Shot 08-02-19 at 10.16 AM.PNG

This is a good post too

Sincerely Lasse

Mortie31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the placement of electrode probes can effect the measurements. I have mine in a high flow area - I.e. the return flow just pass through them. For the salinity probe - it make difference.
I’ve found placement to be really important, since buying the ghl measurement cell, and putting my main probes in it, my measurements have become far more consistent..

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%

Back