OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve found placement to be really important, since buying the ghl measurement cell, and putting my main probes in it, my measurements have become far more consistent..
Mine are placed 10 cm in front of the the mouth of the return pipe in the sump. 2500 l/h :)

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New video. The tank is around 38 months old and the last months I have run into some problems - my center piece - my euphyllia torch was declining very fast. I succeeded to stop that an I think it is on its recovery for the moment. I got some cyanobacteria on some of my corals - small patches - but still something I did not want. Have rise the peroxide dosing and things goes slowly back to normal. Still rather good aquarium

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I´m surprised no one have been catch yet (as I know of). Some of my pipefish love to be on the top of my clams too. I thought it was a cool picture - it shows how large this Derase has been in 2 years. The one beside the large - was introduced as 1.5 " just a year ago.

Sincerely Lasse

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New video. The tank is around 38 months old and the last months I have run into some problems - my center piece - my euphyllia torch was declining very fast. I succeeded to stop that an I think it is on its recovery for the moment. I got some cyanobacteria on some of my corals - small patches - but still something I did not want. Have rise the peroxide dosing and things goes slowly back to normal. Still rather good aquarium

Sincerely Lasse

What caused the problem?

OP
OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the euphyllia - who knows?
No Brown Jelly but it act like that. Miss two heads. With the cyano - probbably very stressed birds nest (@Sallstrom think this) because of PO4between 0.1-0.2. At the same time - there was a swing in temperature between 25 to 27 degree C every day (heat wave up here) Other corals and clams - good but low growth. 20 more hermits of the small ones, peroxide, more stable temperature and more agressive use of GFO. At the same time - my chaeto just stop. Adding iod and Strontium too. Will send a Triton next week.

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lassie, any signs of brown jelly disease coming from it?
Everything looks like brown jelly - the way the heads contradict, the way it spread, the way the heads died but no sign of brown jelly. Everyting looks fine. I looked very close but no jelly

Sincerely Lasse

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything looks like brown jelly - the way the heads contradict, the way it spread, the way the heads died but no sign of brown jelly. Everyting looks fine. I looked very close but no jelly

Sincerely Lasse

Do you think a dip would help it? Iodine?

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the euphyllia - who knows?
No Brown Jelly but it act like that. Miss two heads. With the cyano - probbably very stressed birds nest (@Sallstrom think this) because of PO4between 0.1-0.2. At the same time - there was a swing in temperature between 25 to 27 degree C every day (heat wave up here) Other corals and clams - good but low growth. 20 more hermits of the small ones, peroxide, more stable temperature and more agressive use of GFO. At the same time - my chaeto just stop. Adding iod and Strontium too. Will send a Triton next week.

Sincerely Lasse
I am glad you caught it. It sounds like the heat and phosphate were the issue, or do you thing there maybe something else also? The reason for my questions is, I had some major issues and never quite figure out exactly what the problem was.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am glad you caught it. It sounds like the heat and phosphate were the issue, or do you thing there maybe something else also? The reason for my questions is, I had some major issues and never quite figure out exactly what the problem was.

Me too with issues. Some die off. I think mine was water parameters swings and CO2 build up in the house, lower PH.

OP
OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had this problems before with some euphyllia colonies - they just slowly fade away. I have divide colonies - put the at different locations in my rather small tank - one survive and growth - the other - just fade away - same clone! For the moment - I have 7 different colonies, different species - two of the colonies have some problems - however they recover just now. I have had rather stable pH - 8.1 - 8.3.

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the most important thing to learn from this whole thread is that a persons dream tank doesn't have to be huge...it just has to be what they really want.
Exactly - my dream tank need not be the same as your dream tank (or anyone else dream).

Sincerely Lasse

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lasse, when I had brown jelly pop up in my tank, I messed around with it under the microscope and did some reading. Some of the reading suggested that Brown jelly was two parts, one of bacteria that attacked the coral tissue and two a ciliate that ate the zoox and formed a blob, and that the disease was more from the bacteria and the appearance from the ciliate.
Wonder if yours is the bacteria without the ciliate mob.
Under the microscope, the brown jelly was indeed a brown cloud/blob of clear ciliates that were brown due to the ingested zoox. The material around the coral infected tissue was teeming with visible bacterial wiggles.
I also tried a few antibiotics on infected mushroom coral cuttings that I put in beakers. Doxycycline for fish use was one that left the coral cutting looking the cleanest and almost totally bacteria free compared to the others.
The brown jelly disappeared from my tank before I could investigate further.

Brown jelly microscope videos.

OP
OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lasse, when I had brown jelly pop up in my tank, I messed around with it under the microscope and did some reading. Some of the reading suggested that Brown jelly was two parts, one of bacteria that attacked the coral tissue and two a ciliate that ate the zoox and formed a blob, and that the disease was more from the bacteria and the appearance from the ciliate.
Wonder if yours is the bacteria without the ciliate mob.
Under the microscope, the brown jelly was indeed a brown cloud/blob of clear ciliates that were brown due to the ingested zoox. The material around the coral infected tissue was teeming with visible bacterial wiggles.
I also tried a few antibiotics on infected mushroom coral cuttings that I put in beakers. Doxycycline for fish use was one that left the coral cutting looking the cleanest and almost totally bacteria free compared to the others.
The brown jelly disappeared from my tank before I could investigate further.

Brown jelly microscope videos.

Very well done!!! I have 3 types of wrasses, 4 types of pipe fish - at least 30 + hermits and a lot of other animals that eat small animals. If the brown jelly is what you suspect, it could be that way that I did not get the secondary ciliate infection - only the bacterial because my other organism eat the ciliates. My peroxide addition can play a role too. I have once succeeded to stop a full brown jelly disease in an euphyllia that did not have heads - it had a skeleton like bubble corals. It should be total impossible to stop it when you could not take away the infected heads. I succeded by first suck out all of the brown jelly there the coral was damaged. After that I inject 6 % H2O2 at the bare skeleton and at the first par of the soft tissue that face the damaged part. Two days of treatment safe that coral.

By the way - It looks good for the moment

And my pipe fish is out hunting - but the coral is dead

And these crabs was to large to fit in the aquarium :p

crab.jpg

Sincerely Lasse

Hermie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I succeded by first suck out all of the brown jelly there the coral was damaged. After that I inject 6 % H2O2 at the bare skeleton and at the first par of the soft tissue that face the damaged part. Two days of treatment safe that coral.
Sincerely Lasse

Hi Lasse, with this method, when you applied the Peroxide, was the coral out of the water?

OP
OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No - I use a syringe and just place some peroxide at the interface between coral soft tissue and the skeleton. Blow some water there after 1 or 2 minutes too, just in order to rinse. But it was a die or live situation. I do not really know if the coral survive because of this treatment or despite the treatment.

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not how understand how my tank develops at the moment. If I only use my eyes on some corals - the answer is obvious - nutrient deficiency, the same with my chaeto and some very small patches of cyanobacteria. if I look at my measurements or some other corals - not a nutrient deficiency. My NO3 show around 4 ppm or less (using the high scale on Red Sea Pro says below 4 and using low scale - says 4 ppm. My PO4 shows everything between 0.30 to 0 ppm. The lower when I run my Al phosphorous absorbent. The funny thing is that I now add around 2 ppm NO3 on a daily basis - the NO3 readings does not rise !

The PO4 was nearly 0.3 in the morning 2 days ago. Two tests. Start the absorbent 7/24 and read 0 in the evening !. Add a very small amount of PO4 and read 0.03 yesterday morning. Today I read 0.05 ppm in the morning. I will add around 0.03 ppm during the afternoon and see whats happens. I have particles in my water - they can disturb the PO4 readings - but I do not know what disturb the NO3 readings - if anything disturb it. I have lover the flow through my reversed DSB. Will measure NO3 tomorrow. At the moment - I have stopped the H2O2 too - just a control thing.

Sincerely Lasse

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 18 15.9%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 50 44.2%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 39 34.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back