Lasses Dream Build

Sea MunnKey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Lasse,

So you've got the African BlueStripe pipefish. I've got 2 of them (males) with one larger than the other and although they chase each other, they hunt for food separately though. Recently I lucked out acquiring females as I took too long to purchase them from the lfs.

OP
OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that mine is from the Pacific - not from Africa. It looks like there is several subspecies

Screen Shot 07-25-19 at 08.38 PM.PNG

Sincerely Lasse

Sea MunnKey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that mine is from the Pacific - not from Africa. It looks like there is several subspecies

Screen Shot 07-25-19 at 08.38 PM.PNG

Sincerely Lasse

Yeah it does not have the same vibrant colours as the African specimen. I intend to get a couple more regardless.

OP
OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now I got into problem. I have got some cyano among some of my corals. My Seriatopora hystrix and other from the same genus has not done very well for a month or two. Today I could clearly see mats of cyano among the branches. I blow it away - and will do that for a while. It is only among these corals I can see trace of cyano - not on the sand, not on rocks. NO2 is around 4 ppm and PO4 shows 0.2 ppm. NO3 is where I want it but PO4 should be taken down a bit - 0.05 - 0.1 is the values I want. A month ago I lower my peroxide dosing again - was up to 12% and 2 catalyst but when I come back after vacation in June - I put it down to 2 catalyst and 6 %. it did not help obviously - therefore I rise the dosage to 12 % and 3 catalyst. I will see what´s happen. ORP - that use to be around 340 is now altering around 280 mV. I also put my skimmer to skim more wet - it has been very dry. The cup has been on since June. I also change my flow a little

My torch seems to recover - but yesterday it start to be kinky again

I will update on this.

Sincerely Lasse

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now I got into problem. I have got some cyano among some of my corals. My Seriatopora hystrix and other from the same genus has not done very well for a month or two. Today I could clearly see mats of cyano among the branches. I blow it away - and will do that for a while. It is only among these corals I can see trace of cyano - not on the sand, not on rocks. NO2 is around 4 ppm and PO4 shows 0.2 ppm. NO3 is where I want it but PO4 should be taken down a bit - 0.05 - 0.1 is the values I want. A month ago I lower my peroxide dosing again - was up to 12% and 2 catalyst but when I come back after vacation in June - I put it down to 2 catalyst and 6 %. it did not help obviously - therefore I rise the dosage to 12 % and 3 catalyst. I will see what´s happen. ORP - that use to be around 340 is now altering around 280 mV. I also put my skimmer to skim more wet - it has been very dry. The cup has been on since June. I also change my flow a little

I will update on this.

Sincerely Lasse
I upped my H2O2 from 6% with 2 to 12% to 2 and I credit it with helping reduce my cyano. Might be too early to draw a connection but now that I have an oxidator I wouldn't run a tank without it. If for no other reason than the tank just smells better.

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I've seen with Seriatopora corals in the tanks at the museum, they often struggle at high phosphate levels. They might grow well for a while, but often die fast.
For the Cyanobacteria, is it only on newly bleached coral skeleton?

Mortie31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I will update on this.

Sincerely Lasse
Just wondering do you normally run NO2 at those levels?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wondering do you normally run NO2 at those levels?
I'm pretty sure he meant his NO3 are at 4ppm, not NO2. I think that was a typo.

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also change my flow a little

I have thought about this over a few years, our tanks are nearly the same age, both a step or two off the generally trodden path!
I don't like your flow, I can't be doing with the back and forth flow, how much did you change it please? :)
I love random flow. :)

Mortie31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm pretty sure he meant his NO3 are at 4ppm, not NO2. I think that was a typo.
I think your right, but Lasse May have some secret magic, lol. The main reason I was asking is I have read that some nitrate reactors if they stop working perfectly can cause rises in NO2, and with his RDSB i was just wondering, hopefully incorrectly.

OP
OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went from 9% to 12% and my anemones didn't like it at all (2 catalysts).
There is something with peroxide and anemones - but I´m not sure if it is the peroxide itself or the higher average oxygen level they react on.

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have thought about this over a few years, our tanks are nearly the same age, both a step or two off the generally trodden path!
I don't like your flow, I can't be doing with the back and forth flow, how much did you change it please? :)
I love random flow. :)
My standing waves mix the water much better than a random flow from the same pumps would do. It means that it will give around the same oxygen level even around the corals when the photosynthesis is optimal (the coral will be rid of surplus oxygen faster). Backside - no direct flow force at places there cyanobacteria can thrive. One of the sites for cyanobacteria in this case is in front of the flow from one of my wavemakers. It will give a steady high flow during max photosynthesis now and waves as usual during most of the day.

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I've seen with Seriatopora corals in the tanks at the museum, they often struggle at high phosphate levels. They might grow well for a while, but often die fast.
For the Cyanobacteria, is it only on newly bleached coral skeleton?
No bleach of these corals - just mats

It will be a Triton test to send in tomorrow or Thursday :)

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I upped my H2O2 from 6% with 2 to 12% to 2 and I credit it with helping reduce my cyano. Might be too early to draw a connection but now that I have an oxidator I wouldn't run a tank without it. If for no other reason than the tank just smells better.
I hope this will happens too - but it is probably an overdose for me. I have to look up.

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have get these two as different species and the feeding behavior are different - they are probably different species.

By the way - in the background you see one of the cyanobacteria infested hystrix colonies - and in front of him/her the second.

Sincerely Lasse

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cyano has been shown to be considerably more sensitive to h2o2 (likely ozone too) than other classes of organism.
I'm a little surprised it showed in Lasse oxydator tank at all, but in concert with lower ORP I guess it's possible. I interpret that as the peroxide has a larger abundance of targets in the water itself than usual.

OP
OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I blow it away yesterday - normally it would be as much as before the day after - not in this case - there was some very small patches left - and they get a blow today. No cyanobacteria in the refugium. ORP slowly up to around 320 mV as highest.

Screen Shot 07-31-19 at 05.36 PM.PNG

Sincerely Lasse

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 48 41.4%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 12 10.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 33 28.4%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 21 18.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.7%
Back