Lava rock in refugium

  • Thread starter Thread starter aquablizz
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

aquablizz

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
May 28, 2016
Messages
223
Reaction score
53
Location
South Jersey
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone ever used Lava rock in an refugium.. seems like it would be a perfect medium and very cheap..

blizz
 
I know nothing of lava rock composition but I would imagine its high in metals considering its origin. If that's the case, using it in an enclosed saltwater environment would be a terrible idea.
 
never thought about the metal aspect... I just know it is very porous.. have seen it in fresh water applications but just for decorations. Also have seen different colors of this rock gray, black, and reddish brown which I would suspect might contain high levels of iron.
 

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 3 60.0%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new