Lawnmower blenny

Murica

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a lawnmower blenny about two months ago to try and combat hair algae. Didn't touch the gha but is constantly picking algae off rocks.

I noticed it isn't really getting fat, but instead remaining slim. I have a 240 gallon tank with about 200 pounds live rock.

I do have other algae eaters, such as multiple tangs and a tail spot blenny. Do I have too many algae eaters or do you think he's ok without supplemental feeding?

OP
OP
Murica

Murica

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's slim looking you need to supplement it's food.

Only problem it doesn't seem to be interested in anything else.. Not even nori. Just picks the rocks all day long.

If it doesn't get better in a month or so, may put it in refugium where there's algae galore

U

User1

View Badges
Mine would eat food out of the water column and pick rocks. It was pretty hefty in size all things considered. However, it recently passed maybe due to weight issues (seriously, it was pretty huge) or age. I only owned it for 3 years. Not sure how long prior to that it was around or how long they live. What I do know is that it was healthy then slowly stopped eating or moving about the tank. It was always active but out of the blue - that was it. No signs of any external marks, ich, on it or any other fish.

If it is getting thing then you need to find a food that it will eat. Judging by how mine ate I wouldn't think that would be a issue. Mine ate everything but the kitchen sink. It wouldn't eat nori off a clip though. Blood worms, pellets, mysis, brine shrimp, etc.

OP
OP
Murica

Murica

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine would eat food out of the water column and pick rocks. It was pretty hefty in size all things considered. However, it recently passed maybe due to weight issues (seriously, it was pretty huge) or age. I only owned it for 3 years. Not sure how long prior to that it was around or how long they live. What I do know is that it was healthy then slowly stopped eating or moving about the tank. It was always active but out of the blue - that was it. No signs of any external marks, ich, on it or any other fish.

If it is getting thing then you need to find a food that it will eat. Judging by how mine ate I wouldn't think that would be a issue. Mine ate everything but the kitchen sink. It wouldn't eat nori off a clip though. Blood worms, pellets, mysis, brine shrimp, etc.

Ok thanks for the info, I'll just have to keep plugging away until I find something it likes.

Sorry to hear about yours.. I've had perfectly healthy fish just die completely out of the blue. Sometimes I think they may just be old and at the end of their cycle.

Back